The Unreal Admins Page - Forums

The Unreal Admins Page - Forums (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/index.php)
-   UT Server - Linux Specific (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Signal: SIGIOT [iot trap] Aborting. (https://unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12432)

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 04:11 AM

Signal: SIGIOT [iot trap] Aborting.

I've installed Ubuntu, a version of linux, and after a day of having no idea what to do, I finally got UT installed. I bring up the terminal/shell, and type UT and I get this:

Signal: SIGIOT [iot trap]
Aborting.

What does that mean? I feel cheated, because I googled it, and everyone else had some elaborate goings on about all kinds of things when they got that, but all I get is just those two lines.

What am I doing wrong? The UT folder is there, although I don't see an unrealtournament.exe, there is a ut-bin that I suspect is that runs ut because there's also a ucc-bin. Can I launch it from there? I also saw when I was installing it, that it was supposed to be putting it somewhere like I could launch it from some other place. I haven't see that yet.

Any ideas would be helpful.

toa 8th October, 2005 02:09 PM

I can run ut-bin directly from the System dir without any problem.
If noone comes up with a more useful reply, you could try to run ./ut-bin -log (don't know whether the ut script supports paramters because I modified mine). This should give you some more output and maybe a hint.

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 02:18 PM

Thanks, toa. If there's anything more .... exact you wish to share, like exactly how that is done in case I'm missing something, please feel free to enlighten me. I'm totally new to linux and got lucky even getting UT to load. I posted at the Ubuntu forums, and some wisenheimer had the gall to give the usual "open a shell and blah blah blah" remark. Like a windows user is going to know wtf a shell is. I got past that, though and can get to the terminal just fine.

toa 8th October, 2005 03:01 PM

I assume you opened a shell and at some point typed ./ut in order to launch your UT?
Try to use ./ut -log instead and check whether that'll be more verbose. If that doesn't help, cd to UT's system directory (eg. "cd /usr/bin/UnrealTournament/System" - depends on where you installed it ofc). Then type "./ut-bin -log".
If it's still unclear, don't hesitate to contact me on IRC (toa at QuakeNet) and we'll try to work it out :)

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 04:01 PM

Ah yes, much better. Now I get a full blown error message!!! I don't feel so bad now.

Quote:

ticklemonster@ubuntumonster:~/ut/System$ ./ut-bin -log
Unreal engine initialized
Bound to SDLDrv.so
Joystick [0] : Unknown Joystick
SDLClient initialized.
Bound to Render.so
Lighting subsystem initialized
Rendering initialized
LoadMap: Entry
Failed to load 'Entry': Can't find file 'Entry'
Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find file 'Entry'
appError called:
Failed to enter Entry: Can't find file 'Entry'
Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Executing USDLClient::ShutdownAfterError
Signal: SIGIOT [iot trap]
Aborting.
Exiting.
Name subsystem shut down
ticklemonster@ubuntumonster:~/ut/System$
So I guess I need to edit an ini file and make it not go to the entry.unr... if I can remember where that is, lmao.

thanks, dude!!!

toa 8th October, 2005 04:27 PM

You'll find your config files in ~/.loki/ut/System (it'll also place screenshots and demos there).

However, I asked google and it looks like your maps are still compressed and you'll have to decompress them.
The following commands should do that:
Code:

cd ~/ut/System
for i in ~/ut/Maps/*uz ; do ./ucc-bin decompress "$i" -nohomedir; done
mv *.unr ../Maps

If everything worked fine, you can delete the .uz files: rm ~/ut/Maps/*unr.uz

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 04:29 PM

huh, apparently ubuntu doesn't have decompress.

Commandlet decompress not found
WARNING: Not using preference Directory
========================

is what I get.

If I could remember how to use irc, I'd hit you up. (ubuntu comes with it already lmao woot woot)

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 04:30 PM

yikes, I forgot I was married. I'll have to catch up with you later, the hook just got set, and I can feel the line being reeled in.

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 04:32 PM

I might just copy the maps in .unr to a disk and drag them over that way later. thanks for the idea. (or slave a drive and see if I can naviga- aw heck, I got shared computers all over the house, and they all have UT on them. muahahaha)

Azura 8th October, 2005 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster
huh, apparently ubuntu doesn't have decompress.

It's a UCC commandlet ;) .

Code:

./ucc-bin decompress

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 07:50 PM

Well, at least it didn't act like it couldn't do it this time:

Compressed file not specified

History:

Exiting due to error

lol

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 08:08 PM

WOW.

Apparently putting the uncompressed maps in the map folder did some good, but looky here:

Quote:

ticklemonster@ubuntumonster:~/ut/System$ ./ut-bin -log
Unreal engine initialized
Bound to SDLDrv.so
Joystick [0] : Unknown Joystick
SDLClient initialized.
Bound to Render.so
Lighting subsystem initialized
Rendering initialized
LoadMap: Entry
Bound to Fire.so
Case-insensitive search: Botpack -> ..\System\BotPack.u
Bound to IpDrv.so
Game class is 'UTIntro'
Level is Level Entry.MyLevel
Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
InitGame:
Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
Browse: CityIntro.unr?Name={BL}Ticklemonster?Class=Botpack .TMale2?team=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=Soldi erSkins.Othello
LoadMap: CityIntro.unr?Name={BL}Ticklemonster?Class=Botpack .TMale2?team=255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=Soldi erSkins.Othello
Case-insensitive search: genfluid -> ..\Textures\GenFluid.utx
Collecting garbage
Purging garbage
-0.0ms Unloading: Package Render
Garbage: objects: 16409->16408; refs: 224522
Game class is 'UTIntro'
Level is Level CityIntro.MyLevel
Bringing Level CityIntro.MyLevel up for play (0)...
InitGame: ?Name={BL}Ticklemonster?Class=Botpack.TMale2?team= 255?skin=SoldierSkins.blkt?Face=SoldierSkins.Othel lo
Base Mutator is CityIntro.Mutator1
Initialized moving brush tracker for Level CityIntro.MyLevel
Created and initialized a new SDL viewport.
Bound to UWeb.so
Team 255
Login: {BL}Ticklemonster
Case-insensitive search: SoldierSkins -> ..\Textures\Soldierskins.utx
Possessed PlayerPawn: TMale2 CityIntro.TMale0
Input system initialized for SDLViewport0
Opening SDL viewport.
Bound to OpenGLDrv.so
Loaded render device class.
Initializing OpenGLDrv...
binding libGL.so.1
Resizing SDL viewport. X: 640 Y: 480
OpenGL
GL_VENDOR : Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
GL_RENDERER : Mesa GLX Indirect
GL_VERSION : 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2.1)
GL_EXTENSIONS : GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_logic_op GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_polygon_offset GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texture GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3 GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_INGR_blend_func_separate GL_MESA_pack_invert GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SGIX_shadow_ambient GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays Device supports: GL
Device supports: GL_EXT_bgra
Device supports: GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
Device supports: GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
Device supports: GL_SGIS_texture_lod
Device supports: GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
Device supports: GL_EXT_secondary_color
Device supports: GL_ARB_multitexture
8 Texture Mapping Units found
MinLogTextureSize = 2
MaxLogTextureSize = 8
Bound to ALAudio.so
fcntl: Operation not permitted
fcntl: Operation not permitted
OpenAL Audio subsystem initialized.
Game engine initialized
Startup time: 1.634242 seconds.
Entering main loop.
OpenGL Error: GL_INVALID_ENUM (please report this bug)
Signal: SIGSEGV [segmentation fault]
Aborting.
Exiting.
Name subsystem shut down
Allocation checking disabled
Segmentation fault
ticklemonster@ubuntumonster:~/ut/System$

Now where in which ini file is where I set myself to using d3d I wonder... off to ini-ville it is for me!!!

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 08:10 PM

Odd, my UT.ini file looks like this now:

[Engine.GameEngine]

ServerPackages=ChaosUT

ServerPackages=UTChaosMap

ServerPackages=ChaosUTRHUD

ServerPackages=ChaosUTMiscMuts

ServerPackages=RocketArena

ServerPackages=RocketArenaMedia

ServerPackages=RocketArenaMultiMesh

Azura 8th October, 2005 08:17 PM

Did you edit your ini file in Windows ? Note that Linux handles carriage returns differently.

Quote:

Now where in which ini file is where I set myself to using d3d I wonder... off to ini-ville it is for me!!!

Direct3D doesn't exist on Linux. The options are either software, sdl or opengl.

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 08:23 PM

Um. No. It was installed from a loki file and the cd 1 from goty. I just put an ini that was edited in MS in it, though, and got the same error.

I think if I can finger out how to uninstall it then reinstall it, (after trying a reboot just for the heck of it) then I'll try that. Why? ...boredom. that and I saw it on a forum that someone did it and suddenly everything was cool. Oh, and the sound is messed up.

One thing, though, it looks like it is about to work... the screen goes black, and it windows (which I can work around), then it just dies. Way further than before. I'm more confident in linux now than before, so I'm not letting go just yet. I think this will work given time and your help :).

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toa
I assume you opened a shell and at some point typed ./ut in order to launch your UT?
Try to use ./ut -log instead and check whether that'll be more verbose. If that doesn't help, cd to UT's system directory (eg. "cd /usr/bin/UnrealTournament/System" - depends on where you installed it ofc). Then type "./ut-bin -log".
If it's still unclear, don't hesitate to contact me on IRC (toa at QuakeNet) and we'll try to work it out :)

Hmm, I need to install and enable identd before I log back on. WTF? Oh well. I'm [email address] on msn.

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azura
It's a UCC commandlet ;) .

Code:

./ucc-bin decompress

Well, I now got this far with it just guessing at what should go in the terminal:

ticklemonster@ubuntumonster:~/ut/System$ ./ucc-bin decompress ~/ut/maps/
Could not create

History:

Exiting due to error

Going to rename the UT folder and try installing again. (freaked when I couldn't open my cd tray for a second there... didn't know I had to eject it from the cd thingy, lmao!!! actually, it's a brand new dvd/rw, so yeah, I was totally freaking)

*edit:

I keep getting this when I install:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
loki_setup: Can't create /home/ticklemonster/ut: File exists

But it installs anyway. Ignore it?

toa 8th October, 2005 03:42 PM

Quote:

ticklemonster@ubuntumonster:~/ut/System$ ./ucc-bin decompress ~/ut/maps/

I think ucc-bin only is able to decompress one file per invocation. That's why I posted the for ... do thingie. It basically calls the command between do and done for each matching file (~/ut/Maps/*uz in this case) and substitutes $i for the current filename.

Quote:

didn't know I had to eject it from the cd thingy, lmao!!!
It was probably still mounted. Your CD drive is locked while the disk is still mounted. Can be quite confusing :)

Quote:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
loki_setup: Can't create /home/ticklemonster/ut: File exists
But it installs anyway. Ignore it?
I don't think those are serious errors.

Unfortunately I installed UT some years ago and don't remember everything I had to do in order to get it running. But I remember that it was a pain :o

What I recall: I had to apply the utpg patch 451 (that seems to ship with a nice bug so you won't be able to use redirected downloads) and my sound did/does not work with the default audio thingie.
I had to comment out AudioDevice=ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem in my UnrealTournament.ini and instead use AudioDevice=Audio.GenericAudioSubsystem.

Oh, and not everything is as hard as getting UT to work, stay tuned :)

BLTicklemonster 8th October, 2005 05:56 PM

Apparently ubuntu just loads up a few things.
I used synaptic to load everything nvidia related, and could get the game up. frame rate was an astounding 2pfs.

There was one nvidia file that didn't load right, so that's probably the problem. I'm back on the windows hard drive for now. I got some things to do (anybody know if dvdshrink works in linux, or if ubuntu copies dvds for archival purposes in case my daughter ruins her new barbie in the nutcracker dvd? Anybody buy that?)

BLTicklemonster 9th October, 2005 03:15 PM

Odd. I had to redo the OS because I tried to update the nvidia drivers and got locked out of x server and was stuck in this dos looking place... so I waited this time until I'd done a bunch of essential upgrades and all, and now I've gone to install ut again, and it's showing that it is decompressing the uz files automatcially. Nice.

Now the problem will be: will my graphics handle it this time, or am I going to have to redo my nvidia drivers again? I hope I don't geek it out again, because I've got some really cools stuff going on this time... (got to try the cd burner and see if I can archive some files)

Wow. it started right up! At 2 fps. Sound is crappy. I'll get it one way or the other. At least this time it showed sdl opengl as the renderer.

lata