View Single Post
Unread 22nd July, 2006, 11:40 PM
out of order

If you are using 3SPN v2.57 I can provide an unofficial fix for the exploit: Download

This ZIP file contains a drop-in replacement for the original 3SPNv257.u and only needs to be present on the server to work. I suggest keeping the original file on the redirect so clients do not get this unofficial recompiled version. The original and this modified version are compatible to each other (like UT2004 patches), unless an anti-cheat tool performs MD5 checks and expects only one version.

Again: Keep this file on your server and let clients download the original version via redirect! I don't want to see any complaints concerning MD5 mismatches because the server sent the modified file instead of the official one! This fix was not released or created by 3SPN, hence "unofficial".

To install, shut down your server or switch to a gametype other than TAM/AM. Extract 3SPNv257.u from the ZIP file into your server's System directory, overwriting the existing file. Restart your server and switch back to TAM/AM and you're done. Every time someone tries to exploit the bug, he will broadcast the chat message "I tried to hack the server!" and the server will log the player's nick, IP and GUID to "UserLogs/3SPN_Abuse.log". Feel free to send the information gathered in that file to Epic's abuse email address or use it yourself to contact the hacker's ISP and hopefully get his internet access suspended.

As mentioned before I highly recommend changing ALL your passwords and making sure there's no additional admin account created by a hacker if you're using advanced admin. Remember changing passwords on other servers as well if they are the same as on the compromised server!

[edit]
Quote:
[00:51:48] <`Piglet> Putting the original version on the redirect means that if there's a new client without TAM it gets the redirect version fast and then the serverside version very slowly...
So better put the new version on redirect.

Last edited by Wormbo : 23rd July, 2006 at 12:24 AM.