View Single Post
Unread 10th March, 2010, 04:49 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNY_scarface View Post
I think it is more to do with your CPU not giving the server enough resources in dedicated mode.
Ya.... Bingo. Leave the laptop in non-ded mode [spectator is fine] and try playing from the desktop just to be sure.

This was a very typical problem for laptops made up to 4 years ago. There's some kind of battery optimization or cpu usage optimization that causes the OS to incorrectly starve that app, because it thinks it's not doing anything.

I personally don't know if there's a sure cure for it, other than to run it non-dedicated. This fools the OS into giving it what it needs.

I've helped other admins on these forums try to figure it out. Some can cure it by a re-install of the OS, some don't. I don't know if you'll be sucessfull reverting to a previous SP. It's dangerous to try unless you are ok with reloading the OS should it fail.

We could pursue it, if you feel determined. Personally, I'd use non-ded mode and forget it.

Other things I can think of now that we've isolated it to this:
  • I wonder... how are you launching the server? Are you running UCC from a cmd prompt, or are you starting it from the GUI [task name = Unrealtournament.exe]?
  • Did anyone install a BIOS update in the last few [5] years? [check the BIOS dates] If so, you could try reverting back. [Dangerous adventure]
  • Get yourself an ethernet network card and run the laptop off of wire rather than WiFi. Actually, this is probably what I'd try next.
  • Comb the BIOS looking for any CPU battery optimizations and TURN THEM OFF. But this is so obvious that I don't put much hope in it.

Let us know what you end up with. Also, please report the BIOS version / Date and precise Laptop Model description in case others come along [in the future] and see these posts. Maybe it will save them some time.

Last edited by 50BMG : 10th March, 2010 at 04:52 PM.