View Single Post
Unread 15th September, 2008, 04:06 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default Hmm...

For 1: Player names are public already.
For 2: IP addresses are already viewable many, many ways, even in message boards and most chat clients
For 3: Unique ID's are just a random encryption of the Players Name and Hash, and NOTHING malicious can be done with the players Unique ID.
For 4: The Hash is a un-decryptable Encryption of UT3's Key. Nothing malicious can be done with the Hash.

If a player gets pissed off, as you said, then they are simply ignorant of the facts I just listed above.

Besides, this isn't for players, it is for us administrators. Haven't you ever wanted to ban someone but by the time you logged into your web admin they left your server? How exactly did they spell their name? "{}<0~~~foo" is hard to remember once you don't have it in front of you. With this system in place the admin can search for "foo" and find that user, and their hash. Also see any aliases they use, and if they have been banned on other servers, and how many.

Seems fishy? I am one of the admins at Hedsteem. I have been for 3 years now. We are the number 1 VCTF server, under epic. Our servers ranks 3rd world wide. Do you really think I would do something to tarnish my name?

Lastly, dyndns.org is for a changing IP, because I run this from my server, in my house. Tell you what, you send me 80 bucks so I can host this for a year on some hosting company, and I will pay for a real domain name.