Thread: BTPlusPlus
View Single Post
Unread 20th December, 2010, 03:09 PM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by face View Post
i really do not understand why people can not wait and try to rip it all out of there cache to see if they can make it run and use.
Well,

First off..

BTChecpoints has been attempted to be "ripped" many times before sp0ngeb0b.

1) Full credits for the "idea" on a 'Checkpoint'system for BT are granted for [i4g]Med!c; Spongeb0b also based/ripped his code/source on that part.
2) But since the Checkpoints-code was a part of the [i4g]-system and very hard to be untangled..yeah..Med!c did a splendid job to keep his code/mod untwistable...
=> It is part of their marketing these last few years..
=> As is also why their Mapvote system is also hiden because it is very well coded etc .. (you get the drill?)

i4Games will always function like that and who are we to blame them? Jealousy... 8-)..

3) Another reason is, the checkpoint sp0ngeb0b made/changed is indeed very buggy and in betaphase..but still, nice to see somebody untangling the code as far as it goes! And you can say sp0ngeb0b is probably 1st brick which lures other people.. (There you have your answer Face ;-) )

I made a ut-codewriter look into it (2nd Brick), just to tweak my own curiousity (3rd Brick) as why this still is in beta-phase and why it is hooked with Nexgen & BT++ inside the code itself (Perhaps that is why sp0ngeb0b now pledged to make it more "stand-alone").
Then again the hooks turned out pretty easy for my codewriterbuddy and he reverted/untangled it, unhooked it and made it a stand-alone modification with all the features.
## Tbh, that's how it always should be and perhaps that will lead to much less "Ripping Off.."; simply make a mutator/add-on, make it stand-alone and most of all, compatible with every BT mod out there (BT++,BT,BT2,etc..) & simply share and people will recognize your work and give you credit for it and so on..

And yeah, I know sp0ngeb0b never had a chance to release his work into public..but what can I say..my own buddy codewriter didn't need as long to make it stand-alone and fully functional on standard BT/BT2 servers without all the hooking and dreaful stuff needed for Nexgen and such. :X .. sorry on that matter but speed does matter sometimes..

The only 'bug' we've encountered is that the "respawnglare" appears at the 'playerstart'-position and not where you respawn at your checkpoint..but that's a tiny detail we are happy to live with, we couldn't be bothered anymore at that point.

For the anti-jumpspawn, it is a bug inside unreal tournament itself I guess (or at least in the mapping through UnrealED (?)), as are so many things..because Unreal Tournament itself is fairly old and edited beyond compare towards any other game.
Just jump and suicide on your next spawn and be done with it, every decent BT-Player should know that fact or at least be informed by it. I'd hate it to keep modding/mutating for those bugs, some people do.. but it will all stack up too much at a certain point and turn out like nexgen and comparable things... don't get me wrong, it's all nicely done and took a lot of work but it's so laggy when it starts etc etc.. and it will never be perfect or bugfree..nobody's perfect, neither is a game or a mutator/mod, just live with it ;-)...simplicity owns it all!

Anyways.. just wanted to type this here.. it's not really helpful..it's just my opinion & view on certain stuff, not here to unleash a debate or any kind of.

Cheers,
BnT^ (An official BunnyTrack-Cupserver owner/admin @ clanbase.com)

I ain't here to break it, just to see how far it will bend.

Last edited by BnT^ : 20th December, 2010 at 04:29 PM.