View Single Post
Unread 22nd November, 2010, 10:51 AM
Dominating

^ Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back4more View Post
Perhaps you would be interested in remaking the onslaught mod for ut next year with some better functioning vehicles . AFAIK that's the only ut99 mod with vehicles?.

http://ut-files.com/index.php?dir=&s...&search_mode=f
No, that's incorrect... that's not the only mod with vehicles... well, at least it depends what you consider vehicles for this game.
If we consider a vehicle as something you can "ride on" or actually "drive", then there's a bunch of them (including SLV, RX, Jets, etc).

Now, if we consider "vehicles" as packs containing both terrain and flying vehicles, then even so there are quite a few:
- Those from ONS (the worse ones I ever saw for a game actually, not even the model export/import were made properlly)
- .:..:'s vehicles (he built a physics sample, and ported somewhat the U2Vehicles), but they are mostly for Unreal, although they work good on UT, both offline and online. However, although the pack is lightyears ahead from BlackCheetah's ones, they have too many physics limitations and some flaws. Afaik, .:..: is no longer supporting them at UScript level, however he's doing (or already did, idk) a native better version, but for Unreal 227 only.
- TCO is a single player mod which features some vehicles as well, but hovering ones afaik (correct me if I am wrong), and the whole thing works offline only (no coop or anything, again afaik, not sure).
- X-Vehicles: basically my own vehicle pack, still in development (paused atm due to NW3). It comes from .:..: vehicle system for Unreal (he gave me the whole source), however I already changed it so much that is now very far ahead from his initial version (much better physics, some water zone features, inertia, headlights and some signal lights, tons of fixes and changes, etc, etc... the list is really long as I worked on them for several months last year and this year. They are shown at my page.
But the changes cost me the online support, as they just don't worth the trouble of giving the multiplayer support to every single thing (it would take me a full year just doing so, and doing it right..., and even so the bandwidth required just doesn't worth it imo). I will bet in AI support and an SP campaign for them instead, it will worth a lot more (anything new online nowadays is only apreciated if it's less than some Mb, no one wants to bother a local download from a file host site, nor the download from the server, so...).

There are also a few TCs with them (NeoCairo and AirFightUT for example), but you can't actually use them well with UT, besides only a few of them are actually very good).

Regarding ONS, don't count on me to develop them. There's UT2004 for that, and is very well done and it comes much cheaper in system resources than actually doing the same for UT.
I already have serious doubts in doing something else for UT (my "last online" mod perhaps, a full war gametype, basically a modified "siege"), so anything else besides those aren't actually options, specially since the time to make them doesn't worth the popularity they would get (which would be actually extremelly low).
For now I am going only to focus in "popular" stuff, and that is NW3 right now (considering that NW2 was quite popular in its time), and perhaps siege, but I doubt I will do it anyway (there are still active coders on it, won't step on that territory most likelly, even though the new one would be quite different).

Nali Weapons 3 | Community UT mods