View Single Post
Unread 11th March, 2010, 12:05 AM
Killing Spree

Smile

Hi everyone. In answer to some earlier questions, I launch the program through the GUI. There have been no Bios updates in the past 5 years. All the talk about power management and battery options reminded me that the one difference might be the fact that I never left the battery in the laptop before, but now I've had it in all the time, even though it's running on AC power. I removed the battery, but as you might imagine, it didn't help. I'll probably try the wired network option at some point, but right now it's not necessary. The reason for that is stated below.

Here are the stats on the machine.

Sony PCG-FXA47 laptop
AMD Athlon 1.0 Ghz processor
512MB Ram
Windows XP SP3
ATI Rage Mobility-M1 AGP 8 MB
Bios version R0114K5 2002
D-link DL-624 router
D-link DWL-G650 Wifi laptop card

Now for the good news. Besides this 8 year old Sony laptop, and a fairly new Sony Desktop that's my workhorse, we also have a 9 year old Compaq desktop with a 1.2 GHZ processor, and a D-Link internal wifi card. This afternoon we loaded UT GOTY onto it, and put in all the server settings, and VOILA !!! It works like a charm as a dedicated server. No lags, or problems whatsoever. When I access the server over the internet from my Sony desktop, game play is excellent. I haven't tried the Sony laptop yet, but I have no doubt it would work fine since it worked so well in non-dedicated mode.

I want to say thanks to all of you for the time and effort you put in helping me. It's truly very much appreciated.

3/12 Update: Just for the fun of it, I tried the wired option, and the lag is still there in dedicated mode. Since I have another PC to act as my server, I'm not going to worry about it any more, but wanted to update the info.

Last edited by marquis103 : 12th March, 2010 at 02:12 PM.