View Single Post
Unread 1st August, 2015, 06:32 PM
out of order

From a technical point of view, an anti-cheat tool is a kind of malware to the cheater and his cheat has the advantage of owning the system with user consent. That effectively means the battle in the client side is quite futile.
The battle on the server side doesn't look any better, as even the best programmers and researches that took on the problem only partially solved the problem of distinguishing legit players from cheaters. There's only so much you can do when a cheat becomes invisible even to the human eye.

But I guess there's at least a solution for the blantant trolling cheats that simply snap onto targets and shoot hit-scan weapons as long as there's a target available. Those should be easy to pick out even with serverside-only methods.
Also, radar users could potentially be detected by inferring what they should and shouldn't know when they react to something. "Hack Cam" seemed to have implemented such checks before, but that was long ago and has been lost since then. Maybe with the increasing popularity of so-called "big data analytics", someone eventually comes up with some kind of "cloud" service that analyzes a stream of player movement data from games to figure out if those players had some kind of "helper tools" running that gave them an advantage.
(Or maybe I was just too exposed to my new employer's corporate enthusiasm...)