You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > General > Tips & Tutorials Followups

Unread 13th February, 2003, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Follow up thread for this tutorial
Unread 13th February, 2003, 11:05 PM
Killing Spree

Nice info So if you rent a server you'd have to do this locally and then upload the folder and change the server's ini? And just what kind of bots would this stop?
Unread 14th February, 2003, 09:25 AM
Administrator

That file would work fine yes.
This stops any bot that uses a recompiled UTMenu.u
If you find a bot that uses something else eg. Engine.u and defeats the latest Pure, then follow the tutorial to make Engine.u protected.

This procedure doesn't stop a bot of for example the UTMenu.u was bytehacked.
Unread 15th February, 2003, 08:18 PM
Killing Spree

Nice tutorial Azazel.

It si all I wanted to know but never knew where to look for :p

I have been playing around compiling, changing file flags and stuff. Now the next question spinning is: where can I get aimbots and other thingies to test my own server? Wouldn´t it be a good idea to have the lastest ones available from this site?

Cheers
Unread 15th February, 2003, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Nope it wouldn't be good to make aimbots available from this site.

I can assure you though the latest public ones have been tested and don't work (up to this day)
Unread 17th February, 2003, 02:30 PM
Forum Newcomer

Nice tutorial , thanks

Azazal, is it fair to say with Pure 6a and the core files serveronly that at this point in time your server should be 100 percent bot free unless a new bot is released Could you confirm this for me as you seem to be the guy to ask.

Also I understood that with Pure 5RC9 and engine.u recompiled again that a UT server should be bot free, is was this the case up until the release of 6a

The reason I ask is that I'm in the middle of one hell of a dispute between players and admins about a certain person botting which is getting way out of hand and personal, just want to be in full pocession of the facts before I start ranting.

Many thanks SULS
Unread 17th February, 2003, 05:24 PM
Killing Spree

Hmmm. Seems I does not work under Linux Dedicated installation.
anyone has a tip in getting this to work over there too

Cherio
Unread 17th February, 2003, 05:39 PM
Killing Spree

Hi, thanks for the good tutorial.

However after I have implemented this on our UT Server Mac clients can't connect anymore. They get a version mismatch for utmenu.u. Anybody else experiencing this ?
Unread 17th February, 2003, 09:25 PM
Administrator

Provide them with a download link for your utmenu.u
Unread 17th February, 2003, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurphy
Hmmm. Seems I does not work under Linux Dedicated installation.
anyone has a tip in getting this to work over there too

Cherio
Unfortunately you will need someone on a windows client to make it for you
Unread 4th March, 2003, 03:25 AM
Forum Newcomer

Im haveing Troble or Something... When i go to create a new UTMenu it dont show in the ServerFile Folder....In the dos window it shows me the same info that is in the tutorial..... Anyone know why?? and its Xp pro Windows...
Unread 4th March, 2003, 04:52 AM
Forum Newcomer

Nerver mind i was missing the \\\ in the command thats not there...
Unread 4th March, 2003, 04:52 AM
Forum Newcomer

Nerver mind i was missing the \\\ in the command thats not there...
Unread 11th March, 2003, 07:55 PM
Forum Newcomer

Do you then delete the original UTMenu.u in the system folder? or do you keep that one in there?

Danke,
Glab
Unread 12th March, 2003, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Keep it
Unread 13th March, 2003, 06:41 AM
Godlike

OK, I found that on my Linux based server, I needed to rename the modules in the System directory to something else before a client with Zell... or EzRa... was refused.

In case anyone's unclear on how to do it on a Linux box:

Followed Azazel's GREAT instructions except use a Windows Box with the same patch level as your Linux server to create the packages for the ServerFiles directory. Make sure that all the file names have the exact same case as the originals!

SCP them (you're not broadcasting your id/password to the world with FTP are YOU), to the Linux box and follow the rest of the instruction.

Rename the packages you created in the ServerFiles directory to have a different name or extentions, e.g. UTMenu.sav.

Now if I could just get AntiShockHo to catch the Mutator bots correctly...

|LCN|DeadMeat
Unread 26th March, 2003, 06:10 AM
Forum Newcomer

Hey DeadMeat,

I tried this method a while ago and noticed that I cannot stop silly children from using Zellius hacks which abuses the UTMenu mainly. I have tested this on my and other servers using the ServerFiles folder method. I am using Linux and I noticed you mentioned a fix for this however do not quite understand your instructions. Could you please be more specific as to what someone should do to prevent Zellius hacks? Thx! :look:

AIM is Michhhhael
ICQ is 336844581

Unread 26th March, 2003, 07:02 AM
Forum Newcomer

That's some great information you got there? Where did you get your information from? And by the way your wrong about it stoping all aimbots but I guesss you may have figured it out ?? . That was last years fix, now we have a new problem and no one is answering the questions that could lead to fixing the problem. Nice tut? So where did you get your info?

aKa FrAgEd
Unread 23rd April, 2003, 03:41 AM
Forum Newcomer

Nice tutorial

One question though: how do i know i've done it all properly?

Reason i'm asking: our server runs on a linux box. I followed all instructions in the tutorial and also followed DeadMeat's advice on renaming the files. The server runs nice & smooth, no problem there, but for some reason i don't need to re-download those flagged files (i made 5 core files serverside). Wouldn't those new ones differ slightly from the default ones present in my local System folder and force a client download?

To be clear, i did the following:

- Followed the tutorial for recompiling the files, uploading them, modding the ini-file
- renamed the old files in my SYSTEM folder to extention .uriginal
- renamed the new files in my ServerSide folder to extention .uss
- changed the Core.System reference in the ini to "Paths=../ServerSide/*.uss"
- restarted the server (flawlessly)

On checking the logs i do notice it's actually using those new files (there are references to all the new Serverpackages being loaded) but that's about all the indication i have all's installed properly. I'm not about to install some aimbot just to see if it's disabled, so: is there any other way to know it's working? And is it normal i didn't have to re-download the new serverside files?

On a sidenote: the serverlog also mentions: "Log: WebServer: Unable to open include file ../ServerSide/UTPureRC6B.uss "

On checking UTPure's running perfectly though, so i'm assuming that message is just a consequence of UT following the paths in the order specified in the ini...

Thx for any info you can give me ppl
Unread 23rd April, 2003, 01:47 PM
Godlike

OK, just re-read this line and realized it was confusing...:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMeat
Rename the packages you created in the ServerFiles directory to have a different name or extentions, e.g. UTMenu.sav.
Should say: Rename the packages in the SYSTEM directory that match the ones in the ServerFiles directory to have a different name or extention.

To be clear, there should be only one package file with the original name in your UT path. E.g. Only the re-flagged UTMenu.u should have that name, the UTMenu.u in the System directory needs to be renamed.

I don't know what effects doing the extension/path change would have..

About the cannot open include file error, I never noticed any problems caused by this. However, since I don't like to see errors, I "fixed" it by copying the missing file into the ServerFiles directory. Error went away and have not seen any problems.

On how to tell if it works, well, in my case, I have a "clean room" setup that I use to test with. A Linux server set up on my home network that I configure with new software before going into production. I then have a set of "Zip files" with different bots setup that I can unzip on top of my UT install (plus a matching clean version Zip). So with some directory erasing/unzipping I can test my setup against a non-public machine.

HINT: Change the player name of any BOT setup to be something highly noticable, I use LamerW/<bot type> as a name. Makes it easy to notice you forgot to change back... Be strong, don't go to the Dark Side... Installing bots and seeing how "easy" it makes life can be... shall we say... enticing.

FWIW, I have tested this setup against the common bots available as of a couple of months ago. None of the ones that changed the UTMenu stuff made it thru. They would not finish the connection phase.

I WILL NOT TELL ANYONE WHERE/HOW TO GET BOTS OR HOW TO INSTALL THEM (but unfortunately, it's not that hard to find them... sigh.. I've even seen a "Flash" tutorial on how to install bots....)

About not seeing packages download, etc. This method does not force a download unless the person does not have the particular file in their System directory. What it does is compare internal version numbers (generated at compile time). Reflagging the file, does not change this version. If the compile version match, people are allowed on. If it doesn't, they are not. The hacked code has to be recompiled and so it does not have the correct version number.

|LCN|DeadMeat
--
You're DeadMeat, I'm DeadMeat, We're DeadMeat... in UT