You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Windows Specific

Unread 30th June, 2008, 06:19 PM
Forum Newcomer

Default LAN Game/Pings 9999/Vista

I am unable to start a LAN game between two Vista machines, I can take the same UT folder and copy it to XP and it works fine I can also connect the Vista PC to the XP machine without any problems. When I create the LAN game the other Vista machine shows the name of the hosting machine, but does not list the game and the pings show 9999. I have tried to host the game on both machines with the same results. I have opened ports, disabled the firewall etc and nothing seems to work. Even if I create a LAN game on my machine and then try to connect to the game from the same PC I still get the same results. Also, any other multiplayer game works fine between the two PC's.

Has anyone ran into this with Vista or at least point me in the right direction?
Unread 30th June, 2008, 06:28 PM
Godlike

This could very well be similar to this.

Please check your server's console (log) for errors and tell us what is listed there.
Unread 30th June, 2008, 06:44 PM
Forum Newcomer

Thanks for your quick reply. I have been searching this problem off and on since Vista came out and have come across that post in the past. I am at work now and don't have the log in front of me, but looking at while trying to fix this issue I do see the line that says it can't bind the port 7777. I have tried changing the Port number to several different ports and that didn't help either. I guess there are users that are playing LAN games on UnrealTournament without any problems, but I found it strange having two new Vista installs with the same problem.
Unread 30th June, 2008, 07:44 PM
Godlike

I don't run Vista, so I can't reproduce this problem myself, but if I understand the problem I might be able to make a fix for it (as I stated in the other topic).

Edit: here is the proposed fix. I've just found out that this exact fix was also described in the topic started at BU... so much for my credit

Download

Extract this file to your UnrealTournament\System folder, overwriting the existing file. Note: this fix is based on v451. Although it might also work on a v436 server, it's better to be safe than sorry. The v451 update can be obtained from www.utpg.org.
It might be a good choice to make a backup of your original IpServer.u file first.

Last edited by adminthis : 30th June, 2008 at 08:51 PM.
Unread 1st July, 2008, 02:18 AM
Forum Newcomer

WOW!!! It works, I can't thank you enough. I litterly thought I had read every post in this forum so I apoligize if I posted on something that has already been answered. Thanks again for your help.
Unread 5th February, 2009, 08:59 PM
Godlike

Default Worked

I was looking for this for a friend who found it first. He had a Vista machine that he had copied his ut server to from a XP machine. It worked on the XP machine but bot the Vista. He tried this on the Vista machine and it worked. By the way, his server is only patched up to 436.

Another note of interest is that I was able to start a UT server from my Vista computer with no need for this at all. So what I wonder here is whether the problem actually has to do with which version of VISTA is being used. I used Vista Business Edition with no problem. My friend used Vista Home Edition.

No matter what it is though, I want to say thank you very much for providing this fix. Does anybody know what it actually does so that maybe we can do it manually rather than having to use this patch? Thanks!

Hermskii
Unread 7th February, 2009, 12:07 AM
Forum Newcomer

I too have installed UT99 onto several Vista Home edition machines with No problems at all.
So, could it still be just a setting?
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
Unread 7th February, 2009, 03:37 AM
Godlike

Default Another

Another point in question is which version of UT is being used and what patch it is up to.

I my case when I launched the 2 CD retail set of UT using the 436 patch from my Business Classs Vista install it worked just fine on the first try,

Chew_This used GOTY for his UT install which I think was already patched to 436 but we ran the 436 patch on it again to make sure it was patched. He ran his server from Vista Home Edition.

Maybe it is just a setting and that is why I want to know what this file change does exactly so I can make the change manually back and forth and see if it fixes it and breaks it both ways as it should if it is indeed the fix. Note that it did work for Chew_This.

Hermskii