You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 10th November, 2006, 03:55 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default Loss of Data

Hi, I'm having serious trouble playing online recently. The last few days any online UT server I join gives me a lot of lag time, even though the ping time is in an acceptable range e.g. 25-100. However i do have a lot of numbers for the L: category in your status usually at about 30-70.

This hasn't happened before, even with my new router (1st few days it worked fine I think - its been at least 2 weeks since I've had the new router, and this problem is no more than a week old). I've forwarded all the ports both with Zone Alarms and the router (its a belkin pre-N). Im getting very frustated as I cant figure out what's wrong, and its very annoying online when I keep getting killed, but can't tell where the firing came from (cos of the lag I dont see the bullets etc. until a few seconds have passed).

If anyone can help me sort this problem out I'd be very grateful,
Thanks in advance.
Unread 10th November, 2006, 06:00 AM
Holy Shit!!

Perhaps you're experiencing some packet loss. Beyond 5-10% PL, the game can become completely unplayable. This can happen with wireless routers but usually this comes from the ISP itself.
Unread 10th November, 2006, 08:36 PM
Forum Newcomer

Yes I think I am experiencing packet loss, but this can't be from the ISP or the router, as im not using a wireless connection: everything's cabled; and the fact is I have been playing online previously with absolutely no problems - point is I don't know what's causing this new problem, becasuse as far as I know i initially had no problems with my new router.
Unread 10th November, 2006, 10:33 PM
Holy Shit!!

Have you checked for adware/spyware and viruses? It could be something like that bogging down your connection.
Unread 11th November, 2006, 01:58 PM
Forum Newcomer

Hi there, no I don't think so. I think it's my router, so I was wondering whether someone could help me configure it correctly. The reason being is I've connected to the internet via my modem only and left the router for the LAN network. By doing this my connection is perfect and there are absolutely no problems. Previously in the menu options (when u press Esc) you see a list of people including yourself who are currently playing: I had a high figure where it says L: - most people have 0 but I have 30-70. By connecting directly to the internet instead of via my router I have 0 instead.

Any help with the router would be much appreciated: its an Wireless Pre-N Router (F5D8230-4 ). Thank You
Unread 11th November, 2006, 02:53 PM
Godlike

The L you are referring to is: P/L = Packet Loss

If you don't have it when connected directly to your ISP, then you are correct in assuming it's your router causing the problem.
Unread 11th November, 2006, 03:42 PM
Forum Newcomer

Ok, we've established that is a router problem. Any idea of how to fix it: I mean I've forwarded all the correct ports and everything so I'm not sure what part of the router is causing me to have packet loss?
Unread 11th November, 2006, 05:39 PM
Holy Shit!!

You only have to forward ports when you are running a server. I have no ports forwarded on my playing computer. Have you tried doing a hard reset on the router? Does the router have the latest flash? Emailed the manufacturer about the problem?
Unread 11th November, 2006, 07:01 PM
Forum Newcomer

Ok, I think I may have solved the problem, but not fully sure as I haven't tried it yet with the router firewall being on as well. There was an option in the security menu that by default was off but I had turned it on: BLOCK ICMP ping (yes/no). I turned this feature off to see what would happen, and voila everything was lovely-jubbly, and I have now have no packet loss at all, which is wonderful. However, I still have to try it with firewall being on, as this may also block some connections and cause packet loss.

buttpirate, do you have a router though?, as I think a router will block some ports if its not told to do otherwise; it's probably more of "make-sure" thing I reckon.

Cheers for all your comments.
Unread 11th November, 2006, 10:32 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
buttpirate, do you have a router though?, as I think a router will block some ports if its not told to do otherwise; it's probably more of "make-sure" thing I reckon.
Sure do. I've used a Linksys and now a Netgear.