You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > General > Tips & Tutorials Followups

Unread 5th November, 2002, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Follow-up thread for the Server Administration Tutorial. Please post all comments, suggestions, and corrections here.
Unread 6th November, 2002, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

First Nice work
"Multiple Servers On One Machine" section is missing some info from:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.p...ltipleInternet
http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.p...#M ultipleLAN
Unread 7th November, 2002, 11:58 PM
Forum Newcomer

Thanks Killing

The multiple-servers-on-a-box section was a bit of a hack job, because I haven't had time to set one up and test it. I'll leave Evolution to add the appropriate bits to the article, or link to your tutorials on it.

Cheers
Vi-kata
Unread 28th January, 2003, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

I've made some updates to this tutorial. Please let know if you think anything else needs to be added, or updated.
Unread 29th January, 2003, 02:23 AM
Forum Newcomer

Looks good

The "Servers behind NAT / ICS / Firewalls" section says:

"Unless you've altered the ports (for example, in the "multiple servers" bit above) then these ports should be all you need." But the "multiple servers" bit is actually below it, not above.

Pretty minor nitpick I know, but hey, I couldn't find fault with any other bits!

Cheers
Kata
Unread 9th February, 2003, 11:38 PM
Forum Newcomer

Ports mentoned are they TCP or UDP

L8tr Daywalker
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 03:13 PM
Forum Newcomer

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:46 am Post subject: I Struggled with the Admin Tutorial - My 0.02 !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I opened my mouth to compain about the format of the tutorial... (I struggled with it and the server for days.... and I'm not stupid.... ) I thought it would be to my best interests to put my money where my mouth is and detail my complaint as well as propose a solution.

This is the section I felt I had the most problem with. NOTE: I still think you folks do an AWESOME job....
So I'm not shooting holes.....

Quote:
Administration

Unreal Tournament 2003 includes two distinct administration systems. The first system is designed around a single username and password, while the second system allows for delegation using multiple user accounts organized into groups. The following documentation explains how to correctly setup and enable each system for use.

Both administration systems include a web-based administration feature. To enable the web-based remote administration server, find the [UWeb.Webserver] section of your server's .ini file and change the value of the following line to True:

bEnabled=False
ListenPort=80

The ListenPort setting controls which port the game's webserver will listen for connections on. The default is 80, but this may be changed to any valid port number (if your server's ini file doesn't contain this line, you may add it yourself).

To login to the web-based remote administration, enter the address of the server at the address line of your web browser. If a port other than 80 was specified, the port selected will also need to be entered into the address bar using this format:

http://my.server.ip:port/

Quote:
A login box will prompt you for a username and password. Enter your administration username and password (or "Admin" for username and "Admin" for password, if this is your first time using the advanced administration system).
This section should be moved to the bottom of the Advanced Admin section. As you can not get logged in until you do step 1 or 2 in the Advanced Admin System section of the tutorial - and you have to actually type (create the line)AccessControlClass=XAdmin.AccessControlIni under[Engine.GameInfo] Which creates the XAdmin.ini file in the system folder. Then you can enter
http://my.server.ip:port/ in your browser and login to the Web Admin Facility. with Username Admin Password Admin.

Quote:
Advanced Administration System

Two ways to enable the advanced administration system:

1. Add ?AccessControl=XAdmin.AccessControlIni to the commandline startup parameter for the server.

OR

2. In the [Engine.GameInfo] section of the server's .ini file, change the value of the AccessControlClass= line to XAdmin.AccessControlIni .
My Suggestion in Short is to change the Tutorial to read:

Quote:
Administration Setup

Unreal Tournament 2003 includes two distinct administration systems. The first system is designed around a single username and password and administered Primarily through the game console command line while the second system is Web enabled and allows for delegation using multiple user accounts organized into groups. The following documentation explains how to correctly setup and enable each system for use.

There are two ways to enable the administration system:

1. Single Administrator System (Game Console Command Line)

The single administration system can only be activated from the command line, such as when starting from a batch file or script. To activate the single administration system, add these two parameters to the command line start parameters for your server:?AdminName=Username?AdminPassword=Password

For example, if you had chosen "Someone" as your username, and "HaveFun" as your password, your server's command line start parameters might look like this:ucc server DM-Asbestos.ut2?game=xGame.xDeathMatch?AdminName=Some one?AdminPassword=HaveFun

NOTE: The Administration System is case sensitive. It will treat Joe and joe as different usernames.
To login as an administrator on the server during a game, open the game console by pressing the "~" key on your keyboard (You may also access the quick console by pressing Tab). Next, substituting with your administrator password, type:
adminlogin password

You are then able to use all single administrator console commands. I am maintaining a list of console commands in my Console Commands tutorial.

OR

2. Web Enabled Administration (With multiple user accounts)

There are 2 ways to enable the Web Administration features of the server.

A) Add ?AccessControl=XAdmin.AccessControlIni to the commandline startup parameter for the server.

OR

B) In the [Engine.GameInfo] section of the server's .ini file change/add the value of the AccessControlClass= line to:XAdmin.AccessControlIni.
(If the line is not present it must be added inorder to enable Administration and look like this AccessControlClass=XAdmin.AccessControlIni)

Once the advanced administration system has been enabled, it will create a configuration file called XAdmin.ini in the UT2003System directory, which will store all of the user and group login/privilege information for the server.

To access your server through the web-based remote administration , find the [UWeb.Webserver] section of your server's .ini file and change the value of the following line to True:

bEnabled=False
ListenPort=80

The ListenPort setting controls which port the game's webserver will listen for connections on. The default is 80, but this may be changed to any valid port number (if your server's ini file doesn't contain this line, you may add it yourself).

To login to the web-based remote administration, enter the address of the server at the address line of your web browser. If a port other than 80 was specified, the port selected will also need to be entered into the address bar using this format:

A login box will prompt you for a username and password. Enter your administration username and password (Default Adminstrator username will be Admin and Password will be Admin.)

NOTE: You should immediately change the master administrator username and password. Do this by clicking the "Admins & Groups" link in webadmin. Next click the "Browse Users" link on the left side of your web browser. Clicking the name of the administror's account (in this case "Admin") brings you to a screen which allows you to modify the information of that administrator. The changes take effect immediately.

The master administrator's account has all privileges, and can access all pages of the web-based remote admininstration.. As additional administrators are added to the server, only the pages and privileges which are assigned to the administrator will be accessible. Administrator accounts can be managed via the "Admins & Groups" link in the web-based remote admin.

Species Statistics Mutator
In order to show the Species Statistics Mutator in Webadmin, you must add this line to the XGame.int file:
Object=(Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.Mutator,Name= XGame.MutSpeciesStats,Description="Each race has unique combat statistics.")
Add this line just below the other lines that have MetaClass=Engine.Mutator, and you will now be able to enable Species Stats in the webadmin!

For more detailed information regarding the webadmin, as well as screenshots explaining each page, see the Webadmin Tutorial.

If you have anymore questions regarding the advanced admin features then please post in the forums

Thanks again - and please know I'm trying to help make what is best in class a wee bit better for the new guys that want to play with the server too and haven't a clue what to do.
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks again - and please know I'm trying to help make what is best in class a wee bit better for the new guys that want to play with the server too and haven't a clue what to do.
Cheers for the compliment and cheers for the post :thup:
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 04:33 PM
Administrator

gtjays - I've amended your post to quote the bits you mention and suggest changing .. can you let me know if I've got it right before I look at changing the tutorial
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 06:05 PM
Forum Newcomer

So basically you would only change the wording of the second part of my post....
The part following.....

I wanted my post to represent the "before" or "current" tutorial and the "after" part to be my suggestion for correction.....

Does it make sense to you I figure you guys know it the best... my brain needs a logical process.... step a then b then....
there was another guy in the forum that tipped me off....and that got my web administration working.....Great job!

I'll keep poking around.... I'm new to the server Admin stuff... I have a dedicated computer running UT and UT2003.... I guess for me... new to UT I'm learning both as I go.... I was only just introduced to the game a few months ag and I love it!

Let me know if I can help... from a newbe postion. I'm free and will do my best to help make this forum....
Better..... By Design!
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 06:08 PM
Rampage

God i hate that show.

For my own bigoted reasons that don't need to be discussed here.
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Administration Setup

Unreal Tournament 2003 includes two distinct administration systems. The first system is designed around a single username and password and administered Primarily through the game console command line while the second system is Web enabled and allows for delegation using multiple user accounts organized into groups. The following documentation explains how to correctly setup and enable each system for use.

OR

A) Add ?AccessControl=XAdmin.AccessControlIni to the commandline startup parameter for the server.

OR

B) In the [Engine.GameInfo] section of the server's .ini file change/add the value of the AccessControlClass= line to:XAdmin.AccessControlIni.
(If the line is not present it must be added inorder to enable Administration and look like this AccessControlClass=XAdmin.AccessControlIni)

Ahh, I see what you're saying. It seems you've associated web administration with the advanced administration system. However, the two are not related. You can use web administration with either system, along with in-game console commands.

That being said, I can see how the order of these few paragraphs can be restructured to be a tad more linear. I'll do it tonight.
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 06:48 PM
Forum Newcomer

Sorry...

No actually this bit..... to replace the other in the tutorial.... THis is how I would write it.... not really knowing that you can access either admin without the web.... why do you really need both ??

My understanding is that you need to get the Admin or Advanced Admin setup before you can access the server via the web.....To note that the default user name and password is not necessary until the setup is finished.... that confused me the most as in UT.. you can set the passwords from the server.ini. and your off.... there is more fiddling to do with UT2003.... unless you have the basic UT server concepts down.... then I could see that it's really not much different.

I'm off and will leave the rest to you... Thanks for allowing my 0.02!

Jason

Quote:
Administration Setup

The single administration system can only be activated from the command line, such as when starting from a batch file or script. To activate the single administration system, add these two parameters to the command line start parameters for your server:?AdminName=Username?AdminPassword=Password

For example, if you had chosen "Someone" as your username, and "HaveFun" as your password, your server's command line start parameters might look like this:ucc server DM-Asbestos.ut2?game=xGame.xDeathMatch?AdminName=Some one?AdminPassword=HaveFun

NOTE: The Administration System is case sensitive. It will treat Joe and joe as different usernames.
To login as an administrator on the server during a game, open the game console by pressing the "~" key on your keyboard (You may also access the quick console by pressing Tab). Next, substituting with your administrator password, type:
adminlogin password

You are then able to use all single administrator console commands. I am maintaining a list of console commands in my Console Commands tutorial.

OR

OR

Once the advanced administration system has been enabled, it will create a configuration file called XAdmin.ini in the UT2003System directory, which will store all of the user and group login/privilege information for the server.

To access your server through the web-based remote administration , find the [UWeb.Webserver] section of your server's .ini file and change the value of the following line to True:

bEnabled=False
ListenPort=80

A login box will prompt you for a username and password. Enter your administration username and password (Default Adminstrator username will be Admin and Password will be Admin.)

NOTE: You should immediately change the master administrator username and password. Do this by clicking the "Admins & Groups" link in webadmin. Next click the "Browse Users" link on the left side of your web browser. Clicking the name of the administror's account (in this case "Admin") brings you to a screen which allows you to modify the information of that administrator. The changes take effect immediately.

The master administrator's account has all privileges, and can access all pages of the web-based remote admininstration.. As additional administrators are added to the server, only the pages and privileges which are assigned to the administrator will be accessible. Administrator accounts can be managed via the "Admins & Groups" link in the web-based remote admin.

Species Statistics Mutator
In order to show the Species Statistics Mutator in Webadmin, you must add this line to the XGame.int file:
Object=(Class=Class,MetaClass=Engine.Mutator,Name= XGame.MutSpeciesStats,Description="Each race has unique combat statistics.")
Add this line just below the other lines that have MetaClass=Engine.Mutator, and you will now be able to enable Species Stats in the webadmin!

For more detailed information regarding the webadmin, as well as screenshots explaining each page, see the Webadmin Tutorial.

If you have anymore questions regarding the advanced admin features then please post in the forums
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjays
Sorry...

No actually this bit..... to replace the other in the tutorial.... THis is how I would write it.... not really knowing that you can access either admin without the web.... why do you really need both ??
Jason
Not sure exactly what you're saying / asking here.
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 07:11 PM
Forum Newcomer

The "quote" you posted earlier on the thread was not the whole adjustment.

So I re-quoted... what I would post....

I think by your last post.. you know what you need to do...

Sorry for the confusion....

Multitasking.... I'm at work..... and working this too....

Outta here !
Unread 22nd February, 2003, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Ah. The quote I posted wasn't meant to be a literal quote. I shortened it for brevity, substituting "..." for text that was irrelevant to my point.
Unread 7th March, 2003, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

OK, after trying several different formats, I've decided to leave everything as is, for the most part. I put the information about enabling the webadmin before the info on how to setup the different admin systems because setting up the webadmin is the same regardless of which administration system you use. I didn't want the webadmin to be mistakenly associated with either admin system, although some seemed to draw this conclusion anyway.

I have added a sentence to the last paragraph in the part that talks about webadmin, though...Hopefully this will help point those who are reading the tutorial for the first time in the right direction. What do you guys think?

Quote:
A login box will prompt you for a username and password. Enter your administration username and password (or "Admin" for username and "Admin" for password, if this is your first time using the advanced administration system). For information on how to setup your admin username and password for either the single administration system or the advanced administation system, see the corresponding section below.
Unread 8th March, 2003, 05:10 AM
Dominating

I would suggest putting the Web stuff AFTER the admin, it confused me too.

I would also suggest something for them to TRY so they can verify it works. Dunno what to suggest exactly tho.
A loggin with map change/restart., maybe.

Its just so wierd the command sets are differant. Whatever possed them.. duh.

Unread 8th March, 2003, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatCat
I would suggest putting the Web stuff AFTER the admin, it confused me too.
Well, I did try this. I just felt that it seemed too much like webadmin was part of the advanced administration system when I had it below the Advanced Administration System section.

Quote:
I would also suggest something for them to TRY so they can verify it works. Dunno what to suggest exactly tho. A loggin with map change/restart., maybe.
Huh?
Unread 18th March, 2003, 11:14 AM
Killing Spree

Ok guys,

i love ur tutorial, cept atm my brain is full and i dont get some of it, esp Web Admin. I can get Web Admin working for my UT2003 copy which i bought, however i NEED to get the download dedicated server to work with webadmin,

Steps i've taken:

-Downloaded 2199 Dedicated server
-Dragged + Dropped
-Added Epic Packs, Mods, Maps etc.
-changed UCC to
" ucc server DM-Antalus?game=XGame.xDeathMatch?AdminName=admin?Adm inPassword=admin?GameStats=false?mutator=ttm2003be ta2.TTM_MutMain,XGame.MutNoAdrenaline"

-Added the line:
AccessControl=XAdmin.AccessControlIni into UT2003.ini (for Server)

-Enabled WebAdmin
" bEnable=true "

what have i missed? why isnt it working?