You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 4th May, 2004, 08:16 PM
Killing Spree

Current I'm running an Invasion server on an win XP box with an Athlon 64 3000 processor and 768mb RAM. I have 3mb down and 256kb upload cable connection. The server is 8 players max and each max client speed is 3500. Before I had it to 4500 and with 6 players and clients began to experience lag. I did the math wrong and realize with 256k / 8 assuming full upload capability (which I know is not true), the server would have 32kB of bandwidth. 32kB/8 players = 4000 max client speed. I was wondering if my current client speed of 3500 is enough bandwidth for each player and what the minimum possible client speed is?

]M[Inuyasha
Unread 8th May, 2004, 07:15 AM
Rampage

Your cable service sounds very similar to mine. I also have 3Mbps down and 256Kbps up (if I'm lucky). I have a LMS server and I have it set to 7 people, and I run at a maxclient rate of 7500, which I believe is the max UT2004 will use as a default (not positive though, thought I read this somewhere...).

I have tried to increase it to 8 or even 9 players, and things go downhill in a hurry. Usually, all the pings go from the low hundreds to over 600 and people complain. Then 2 or 3 players bail and things settle down again.

There is a great article in the tutorial section here on Unreal Admin Page about ping, tickrate, netspeed, etc by TNSe. It is written for plain old UT, but I believe many of the principles carry over to later versions as well. At any rate, it is very helpful.
Here's the link:
http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.p...amp;a rtid=15
If that dosen't work go to: Tutorials, UT then UT - TNSe's Netspeed Tutorial (2nd from the bottom.)

I would suggest increasing your maxclient rate a little and reducing the number of players one at a time and see how things work. IMHO, it's always better to have a server with less players (5-7) and minimal lag than the alternative.

Good luck, hope this helps.