You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Windows Specific

Unread 22nd August, 2004, 07:42 PM
Unstoppable

Cool 436patch question

hello all . verry nice forum by the way.
any how "serious question has come up can u shed some light?
i am running UT goty , with the 436 patch
i am building a dedicated server and heard that the 436 patch is no good for running servers / is this true or should i bludgent the person for such a remark?
if true where is there higher patch? i have seen them on the server list but never found one to dL.
also if i upgrade can i still connect to servers running 436?
Unread 23rd August, 2004, 01:10 AM
Godlike

There's an exploit in UT which allows people to use your server as a mean to dos other people. Patches 440/451 fix this, but you could also just add a firewall script that disables traffic to a certain ip based on entries in the UT log, the fix actually does the same.
If you have an itelligent firewall like iptables then I would go for that solution, there are a few perl scripts floating around on the net, otherwise install patch 440, it breaks compatibility for serverdemos with 436 clients but it "fixes" the exploit. 451 is said to create "mysterious" lag so stay away from that one.
Unread 23rd August, 2004, 01:14 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian
it breaks compatibility for serverdemos with 436 clients but it "fixes" the exploit.
I haven't heard about this. Me and a clanmate actually tried a serverside demo on v4.40 and it worked ok on a 4.36 client, with the exception that the zombie bug is showing as if hi-res textures were required.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 23rd August, 2004, 03:47 PM
Godlike

How usefull is a demo where people are sliding instead of moving?
Unread 23rd August, 2004, 04:38 PM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortniechan
hello all . verry nice forum by the way.
any how "serious question has come up can u shed some light?
i am running UT goty , with the 436 patch
i am building a dedicated server and heard that the 436 patch is no good for running servers / is this true or should i bludgent the person for such a remark?
if true where is there higher patch? i have seen them on the server list but never found one to dL.
also if i upgrade can i still connect to servers running 436?
You can still connect, and you can download the patch at
UTPG

Unread 23rd August, 2004, 06:07 PM
Unstoppable

Quote:
There's an exploit in UT which allows people to use your server as a mean to dos other people.
im not familiar with this "dos other people" it is someone being malicious to my computer or just messing with the game? i have not ever used a firewall or router before ,it seems like over kill and extra hassle, is one nessasary? what could someone do if i run a server without upgradeing the patch or installing firewall? My friend uses a firewall and i cant join games he hosts because neither of us are schooled enuff on the subject.

Last edited by kortniechan : 23rd August, 2004 at 06:11 PM.
Unread 23rd August, 2004, 06:10 PM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless
I haven't heard about this. Me and a clanmate actually tried a serverside demo on v4.40 and it worked ok on a 4.36 client, with the exception that the zombie bug is showing as if hi-res textures were required.
Zombie bug? is that where skins apear to be missing texture and look neon green or blue in areas?
Unread 23rd August, 2004, 10:48 PM
Holy Shit!!

It's when a server doesn't have the hi-res textures installed and characters move around in a fixed posture instead of moving. They also stay put when fragged and don't disappear straight away.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 24th August, 2004, 08:28 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kortniechan
im not familiar with this "dos other people" it is someone being malicious to my computer or just messing with the game? i have not ever used a firewall or router before ,it seems like over kill and extra hassle, is one nessasary? what could someone do if i run a server without upgradeing the patch or installing firewall? My friend uses a firewall and i cant join games he hosts because neither of us are schooled enuff on the subject.
It means that people will use your server to sent a huge amount of useless data to an other computer, with the intention of crashing it. Since UT servers are run on fast computers and even faster connections (well, they should be ) it can send a lot of these useless data packets per second.

(or something, correct me if im wrong )

Unread 25th August, 2004, 04:14 AM
Unstoppable

Talking

Quote:
There's an exploit in UT which allows people to use your server as a mean to dos other people. Patches 440/451 fix this, but you could also just add a firewall script that disables traffic to a certain ip based on entries in the UT log, the fix actually does the same.
If you have an itelligent firewall like iptables then I would go for that solution, there are a few perl scripts floating around on the net, otherwise install patch 440, it breaks compatibility for serverdemos with 436 clients but it "fixes" the exploit. 451 is said to create "mysterious" lag so stay away from that one.
witch would be the easyest solution "for beginner" firewall? my server is not going to be a super computer, and i want to keep running 436 on it so avoid any bugs, i will investigate some more. thanks !
Unread 25th August, 2004, 04:01 PM
Godlike

At first we ran our server on a nonstandard port and disabled the uplink so it wasn't listed in the gameserver list. It's only a clanserver so that didn't matter and we didn't get any attack. I think there are scripts that just read the epic master server list and pick a random server and use it.
Unread 25th August, 2004, 05:02 PM
Unstoppable

im thinking of trying my luck with a firewall .
and there are scripts that go with it i can use for protection yes? "pearl ,exp..." thats what they are for correct? . . .
because i want to host the server and i want to be able to recruit, could i just make a password nessasary to enter the server? then random attacks would be deflected? and just leave the password on the website for evryone?
hmmmmmmm,
Unread 25th August, 2004, 11:57 PM
Godlike

Nope, they don't need the password to still abuse your server.
Unread 26th August, 2004, 08:54 AM
Unstoppable

fire wall adequit protection "with some script added?"
Unread 26th August, 2004, 09:07 AM
Godlike

You will need a firewall that can be adjusted while it's running and it should be able to block outgoing traffic. You don't block the person that is abusing your server but the person that is the victim of the abuse. This because you don't know who is attacking your server.
Unread 27th August, 2004, 12:13 AM
Unstoppable

Quote:
You will need a firewall that can be adjusted while it's running and it should be able to block outgoing traffic.
do you recomend one over others?

by the way
i just want to say you are destined for eturnal greatness YOU are being verry helpfull ,im glad i came to this forrum and left the old one in the ashes. thankyou Obsidian! thanks always "fearless".
Thank evryone who has helped , thats what this place is for,
just had to get that out
ok im done ,
Unread 30th August, 2004, 09:47 PM
Godlike

Never used one myself. Our server is running linux so we got iptables there but that's a bit hard for windows.
When our server was windows there was a linux machine infront of it acting as firewall, you could do that if you are up to a challenge.
Unread 1st September, 2004, 08:42 AM
Unstoppable

ha ha, i almost got into linux once, but dont have a spare machine at the moment,
i will try my luck with the firewall, even if i fail i will have learned something.
it will be a few weeks before im ready, i want to launch my server and the website for the server at the same time, almost done with the website. its lookin keen!
just need some funds for the missing peices of the server also.