You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 3rd March, 2004, 07:29 AM
Godlike

I think we have a winner!

Ok, Quoting myself a few posts back....

Quote:
Your server needs to have the following settings in the firewall: [list:72e383d81e]1) Forward ports 7777-7787 UDP to your server's LAN address

2) Sometimes 27900 and 27902 UDP are needed in the forwarding list as well[/list:u:72e383d81e]
What is your server's IP address? 192.168.1.100 as in the first enrty named UT2k4, or is it 192.168.1.155 as in the LAZServ entries?

Also, what port is your server advertised on? If it's at the default port number, 7777 then this is an incorrect table.

For the moment, I'll assume your server is on 7777 at IP 192.168.1.155.

Make the following changes:
[list:72e383d81e]1) remove the first entry (UT2k4 port 7777 to 192.168.1.100)
2) remove the fifth entry (LAZServ port 10777-11777 to 192.168.1.155)
3) Add an entry LAZServ 7777-7787 UDP (both is ok) to 192.168.1.155 - You can adjust the third entry[/list:u:72e383d81e]That should do it.

I'm not sure what else you're trying to accomlish here. Maybe if you give me an entry by entry commentary we can discuss each.

Yeah, 1.45.7 is a dog.
Unread 3rd March, 2004, 08:18 AM
Killing Spree

The UT2K4 setting to the .100 addy is for my main machine so it was able to login and play the demo.. Not really useful at this point for the game server obviously.. The LAZServ entries are for the game server I'm trying to get to work correctly..

In the first LAZ entry 7775 to 7788 is fowarded.. That falls into the port range for the first set..

After looking at my screen shot.. I notice actually that either I mistyped, or was just really confused..

The second LAZ entry is in the 28900 range.. You say it should be in the 27900 range.. Perhaps I should change that.. Honest stupid mistake on my part..

The third and forth LAZ entries was an attempt (after reading the log files) to open ports for the "heartbeat" I guess what its called.. Perhaps this is why the server would return a ping to the master server, however, not allow people to login..

I'll post back in a few minutes with the new port settings, and let you know..
Unread 3rd March, 2004, 08:39 AM
Godlike

Cool.... I'll hang out since we're obviously sync'd up right now.

I'll keep checking the thread for your response..
Unread 3rd March, 2004, 08:44 AM
Killing Spree

After fixing the said ports, and (weirdly enough) removing the BehindNat=true it works.. I think.. My buddy is currently connected and downloading the files from the server..

Wow.. Well.. Actually fowarding the correct ports helps a lot.. (My mistake). Weirdly enough however.. The BehindNAT setting in the .ini has no effect on the server.. (so it seems)

Otherwise.. Good stuff so far.. Thank you so much for the help.. I will certainly be back for some more n00b help in getting .umods and such installed for the game server..

Im glad my router will actually work while doing this.. Instead of changing everything first before trying, Ive learned, I should've just fowarded a few ports, and left the .ini file alone for now.. Otherwise.. It's a learning process.. Thank you so much.. Have a great night.. Sleep well.
Unread 3rd March, 2004, 09:04 AM
Godlike

Great.

You're welcome.

There are some extrenious ports that are still in your list, but your main problem was you were not forwarding the 2 most important ones to the server.... 7777 and 7778.

I enlarge the range to 7777-7787 from my own experiences with Linksys routers and their efficiency quirks.

Most of the other port settings aren't needed at all on a Linkie.

Post again when you're ready for another step, and remember to:[list:d649d04dce]-remove the USB port connection to the server
-remove the Multihome option from the server command line
-Change the server's LAN IP settings: Gateway and DNS server to point to your router (192.168.1.1) if you're going to leave the LAN port as static.[/list:u:d649d04dce]
Unread 3rd March, 2004, 08:12 PM
Killing Spree

Well... She should be up and running well now..

24.20.238.191 is the IP addy.. No password right now..

Rage3D CTF is the name of the server.. Feel free to login and try it out.. Lemme know of the problems, and I'll work out on fixing them.. (lag and such)
Unread 4th March, 2004, 07:29 AM
Godlike

Well, looks fully functional.

Ping about 190's from here in LA.

I think you're on the path grasshoper! :gulp:
Unread 4th March, 2004, 04:48 PM
Killing Spree

A question about ping times.. Ive played with some settings in the OS to reduce the latency of the connection..

I started wondering.. If the NIC in the server machine was causing the high ping times, wouldnt I as well, see a high ping time on the master server??

I ask this because the NIC in the server machine is one of those controllerless "windmodem" types, figured that may be causing higher ping times.. If that was the case, I think I would see high pings as well.. Regardless of how close I am to it..

Otherwise.. I may get a better NIC today, and give it a try, see if it helps.. If thats not it, its probably Comcast.. I'll play some with it, and see what I can come up with..
Unread 4th March, 2004, 05:14 PM
Godlike

Ummmm.....

OS settings huh?

Please describe these. You should know that most of the IP stack tweakers for Windows won't make any difference for UT. (Well they could add overhead with no benefit)

Unless you've already gone thru the process, you need to evaluate your internet connection and then tune your server to use it appropriately.

Start by going to www.dslreports.com or www.speedguide.net or some other site with bandwidth test tools, and run a test on your connection.

Then return here and post the results (two of them, one Up, and one Down).

We'll also need to know how many players you wish to host. I think your server was set to 16 Players? ...Well start with the tests and we'll go from there.

Oh, and a Virus scan of the machine would be a good idea, since it's been directly on the net with no firewall. If you find one, shut down all your machines and clean them all one at a time. This will prevent cross-contamination over your LAN. When they all come up clean, you should be good to go do your bandwidth tests. (Sometimes virus's will interfere with bandwidth testing)
Unread 4th March, 2004, 06:24 PM
Killing Spree

No Virii.. the settings, are the IP settings.. Basically.. Upped the MTU a bit on the machine.. And disabled the QoS service.. Helped the ping time a little bit, but not much.. Oh well..

Those speed tests arent much use at the time for measuring latency however..
Unread 4th March, 2004, 06:33 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor
... Upped the MTU a bit on the machine.. And disabled the QoS service.. Helped the ping time a little bit, but not much..
Yeah, QoS won't benefit you much here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor
Those speed tests arent much use at the time for measuring latency however..
Well, actually they might address another issue which if it's a problem will cause high pings as player load increases.

The default setting the game applies to per-player bandwidth is 10000 bytes per second UPSTREAM.

If you do the math, that's 3 players with 256K bits Up. Most cable connections don't have more than this. If your server tries to send enough data to swamp the available bandwidth, high pings, LAG, and eventually lost connections will result.

Measure the connection's performance.
Unread 6th March, 2004, 04:11 PM
Killing Spree

My upspeed seems to top out at about 350.. Not too bad.. Otherwise.. I picked up a new NIC yesterday.. (This one has onboard processing, its not controllerless)

It has seemed to help out considerably.. Otherwise.. Happy Gaming..
Unread 6th March, 2004, 06:31 PM
Godlike

350K bits huh?

Lets see... you wanted how many players.... 16?

"No can do" I'm afraid.

350k bits = 43K bytes per second.

That's 4 players as the game server settings are at default. Any more players than this and high pings and LAG will surely occur.

The setting: MaxInternetClientRate (10000 by default) needs to be adjusted.

But even if you cut it to 5000 (a little low for really dynamic play) you will need to keep the maximum players to 8 or so.

Sorry... laws of physics ya' know?