You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Windows Specific

Unread 22nd September, 2002, 02:26 PM
Rampage

Hi there,

I have a Dedicated UTserver with a cable-connection.
My biggest problem is LAG, can someone please give me some tips to get rid of that lag, it drives me crazy....
The UTserver runs on Win NT, PIII 500, 256 mb memory. Do i need more memory? And can someone explain me how lag is anyway posible on a server, i mean how does it excist..?? Maybe a stupid quetion but i really don't know...

Thank you, and Greets Fragger
Unread 22nd September, 2002, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

how many players do u want to play on your server.

Generally cable can only support 4 at max
Unread 22nd September, 2002, 05:51 PM
Rampage

Normaly i had 4 players. But that was not good at all, so i've made a 1vs1 server. Maybe i should change something in the server.ini, or maybe more memory?

Greets Fragger

P.S. I've set the maxclientrate on 7000, and that's high for cable, but it's only for two players..!? And i have also (not at the same time) running a UT2003 server for 4 players and that is going real smooth...so i don't get it..
Unread 23rd September, 2002, 06:54 PM
Dominating

Cable ( and ADSL) users are to limited with Upstream (upload) speed.

From what iv'e read on some article in a magazine (can't remember which) is that xDSL users are better of with upload speed than cable users. But for downstream (download) cable users better of. (exept Chello Amsterdam ofcourse)

The only thing is that xDSL internet is stable @ a continues speed, which cannot be said about cable internet.
Cable internet is just like the in the real world, on certain times there are traffic jams, which can drop your speed significantly.

I myself don't have to worry about that, im on ADSL, i can host up to 4 ppl with decent ping. My ADSL = 512 down and 128 up, on January 2003 they will increase my speed......only downstream however to 768.
*SIGH* which they would increase the upstream speed rather than downstream. You know, in the beginning it was bad, 512 down and 64 up...
Unread 14th December, 2002, 04:45 PM
Forum Newcomer

you need a file that call zeroping....if you want that i can send it too you..
Unread 4th January, 2003, 03:20 PM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragger
Hi there,

I have a Dedicated UTserver with a cable-connection.
My biggest problem is LAG, can someone please give me some tips to get rid of that lag, it drives me crazy....
The UTserver runs on Win NT, PIII 500, 256 mb memory. Do i need more memory? And can someone explain me how lag is anyway posible on a server, i mean how does it excist..?? Maybe a stupid quetion but i really don't know...

Thank you, and Greets Fragger
I run the IHSG Servers on a P200MMX 128mb under Win2K and I can handle upto 8 players with no problems on 1mb Cable connection. you can try it at IHSG.D2G.COM:7777 I currently run 14 maps with Mapvoting and Lowgrav, SuperZoomShockRifle a number of additional Voicepacks and a program called CCProtector with CSHP4+ I also allow players to have a MaxClientRate=10000 I found 7500 was inadequate for fast paced games. ZeroPing will help with some problems but it can cause player to remain logged in after they have disconnected from the server without closing the connection.

Dave "Roebuck"