You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Windows Specific

Unread 20th March, 2006, 02:05 AM
Godlike

Default Ummm?

Ummm Azazal? What are you talking about by saying it isn't a good fix? I respect your opinion but can't understand why you would say that. Who cares how old the fix is as long as it works? Yes it only fixes the client side meaning the player. Who else are we trying to fix? Are you also saying there is a better/newer fix out there than the one I mentioned. I'm not positive but I think the routine that I have offered is the only one out there actually declares that it will work. So far, not a single person has come back after trying it and said it did not work. Not one!

You are "The Man" here and like I said, I hold you and your opinion in very high regard but please explain your statement from above. It is the closest thing to negative I've heard about my option so far.

On another note about players being stuck from CPanoplyde who posted after Azazel: Please be more specific about players "who cannot move on the server." Are you saying they spawn and are unable to move about through the map or are you saying that they can move around on the map but when viewed they aren't animated so they look like statues sliding around the map?

Hermskii
Unread 20th March, 2006, 03:00 AM
Holy Shit!!

The players can't move but slide around the map after we shoot them due to the momentum transfer and all the text is white. Basically the same problem in the first post....except no players are sliding around.
Unread 20th March, 2006, 07:37 AM
Godlike

Default Hmmm?

I don't know how to help you there. Sorry for that.

As far as the S3TC fix goes, I have rewritten the readme that I had originally put with the fix. I have not tested it but it now includes a fix for whether you have or have not installed the 2nd CD but want to install the UT CD #2 textures. It also has a back-up plan and such. I'm not positive but I think it is now safe to use no matter what. Here is the new readme and you better be sitting down:

*****Important**********

Read this entire document first.
Use this at your own risk!
This works best using a new installation of UT that has been patched up to 436 first.
This document explains how to successfully use the S3TC high resolution textures that come on UT CD #2 whether you have already installed the UT CD #2 (textures) or not.
These instructions are only for "player" installations and ABSOLUTELY NOT for server-side use!
This is only for use with the specific OpenGL Renderer mentioned below though later versions of it may work as well.
You must follow these directions exactly or they won't work!
Print this now if you can!

*****Important**********

Directions:

I have listed two sets of directions here. The set you will need to use will depend on your current UT installation status. Only use the set that matches your current UT installation. Choose which of the follwing best describes your current UT installation status:

Catagory #1:

You have installed UT but you have not installed the textures from UT CD #2 yet. You have UT CD #2 and you want to use it!

or...

Catagory #2:

You installed UT and you have also already installed the textures from UT CD #2 and are now needing to fix the sliding bot issue you see when you play on line. (Directions for this catagory are at the bottom of this page)

Follow these directions if you fall into Catagory #1:

Make a back-up copy of your entire current UnrealTournament\Textures folder. Do not touch this back up copy again unless I tell you to use it to restore your installation back to your original configuration. Make sure that your UT installation is currently patched up to the 436 patch and if not, patch it up!

Go to your UnrealTournament\Textures folder and move out these 3 files: SkyBox.utx, City.utx, and ShaneSky.utx to a temporary folder that is not your Back-Up Textures folder.

Install the second CD textures choosing to overwrite all of the originals but note that they take up about 500mb of space so be sure you have room on your drive before proceeding. Once that is done go into your UnrealTournament\Textures folder and move these 6 skin textures (Female1Skins.utx, Female2Skins.utx, Male1Skins.utx, Male2Skins.utx, Male3Skins.utx, and SkTrooperSkins.utx) to the temporary folder with the other 3 files from above.

Install the S3TC patch by copying it (s3fix.exe) into your texture folder and launching it. Wait for it to finish and close. Now go get all of the files you copied into your temporary folder and put them back into your texture folder choosing to overwrite the ones you just installed from the second CD.

Now we need to configure UT to use the specific OpenGL renderer mentioned above as your renderer by doing the following:

1. Go to your UnrealTournament\System folder.
2. Rename the file called OpenGLDrv.dll to OpenGLDrvOriginal.dll
3. Open your web-browser and paste in this link then hit enter to download the file you'll need to your computer:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/utglr28.zip

4. Unzip the file and copy the OpenGLDrv.dll file to your UnrealTournament\System folder.
5. Start the game and from the UT Desktop select "Options"
6. Select "Preferences"
7. On the Video tab, select the Video Driver "Change" button.
8. A “Change Video Driver” option window will open. Select “Yes”
9. The “Unreal Tournament Video Configuration” window will open. Note your what your current renderer is. Click the radius for “Show all devices”
10. Select “OpenGL Support” so that it is highlighted in blue.
11. Select “Next”
12. Select “Next” again.
13. Select “Run"

Now you are using the OpenGL renderer but you still have to enable the S3TC functionality by doing the following. You enable them from within the game. Start and practice session and hit the tilde key, and type PREFERENCES. On the menu that opens select Renderers and then OpenGL Support. Now find the section called USES3TC= False and change it to True. Close everything and reboot. Reboot. Restart the game.

Try out the new textures now by connecting to multiplayer game on line. If everyone is moving around properly then you are successful! If you see what looks like frozen ice skating players moving around then this did not work for you. If it did not work then you need to go back to your original configuration by doing the following:

1. Copy the "Back-Up Textures" folder right back over your current Textures folder.
2. Start the game and from the UT Desktop select "Options"
3. Select "Preferences"
4. On the Video tab, select the Video Driver "Change" button.
5. A “Change Video Driver” option window will open. Select “Yes”
6. The “Unreal Tournament Video Configuration” window will open.
7. Select “D3D” or whatever your original renderer was so that it is highlighted in blue.
8. Select “Next”
9. Select “Next” again.
10. Select “Run" and that will almost restore you back to your original configration.

Go back into your UnrealTournament\System folder and delete the file named OpenGLDrv.dll and then rename the file OpenGLDrvOriginal.dll back to OpenGLDrv.dll and you will be back to your original configuration once you reboot.

Hopefully, this option/fix did not fail and you are now enjoying the S3TC high resolution textures with possibly a higher framerate and a more colorful video display.

Please send questions or comments to me at:

[email address]

or

www.Hermskii.com

Final Note: This OpenGL driver that I am linking to has a "Copyright 2002-2006" and belongs to Chris Dohnal. The page that this OpenGL driver I used came from is:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

I take no credit for his driver and if I knew who actually created the s3fix.exe file that this readme is attached to I would update this file to reflect that person's name so that they got their just due credit. Nice work by all entities for the driver and the fix!

Follow these directions if you fall into Catagory #2:

If you have already installed the S3TC high resolution textures from the UT CD #2 and then went online to play you noticed that all of the other players and bots moved without any animation. They looked like frozen players sliding around like they were ice skating on one foot while looking down. When a player died a frozen image of them stayed where they died but was standing up. This caused confusion since you would attack them thinking they were actual players that were standing still. This document explains how to install the S3TC high resolution textures again and fix it so that this frozen skating bot syndrome doesn't happen to you anymore. If this doesn't work for you then you will need to reinstall UT from the ground up.

Insert your UT CD #1 and select cancel if it tries to install. Open UT CD #1 and copy the folder called "Textures" over your current copy of the Textures folder in your UnrealTournament folder. Now follow all of the directions for Catagory #1.

Hermskii
Unread 20th March, 2006, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Its not a good fix because the issue lies with the server not the client so having many "patched" clients rather than a few corrected servers is not the right way to do it in my opinion.

Phoenix Alliance - The Movie
Revisionistic Movie
The Unreal Admins Page - the resource for unreal admins
Unread 20th March, 2006, 09:29 PM
Godlike

Default Good point

Good point boss but the 2nd cd textures should never be installed on a server. I thought I read that somewhere and thought you even wrote it. If they aren't installed on the server than the problem won't exist in the first place I'm pretty sure. Thanks for the feedback!

Hermskii
Unread 20th March, 2006, 09:47 PM
Holy Shit!!

I don't have sliders, but I did long ago. No matter where I went, there they were. I changed the ini and it stopped, though. That was a long time and many hard drives ago, too. I'm not sure if I have the second cd installed or not, but I don't think I dare test it, because I have tons of .uc files I don't want to lose if I dweeb out. (yes, I can just install fresh and call it cleanut or something, but hey, that would take effort already!)
Unread 21st March, 2006, 03:58 AM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermskii
Good point boss but the 2nd cd textures should never be installed on a server. I thought I read that somewhere and thought you even wrote it. If they aren't installed on the server than the problem won't exist in the first place I'm pretty sure. Thanks for the feedback!
Hmm, maybe you should read this thread from the beginning again
Unread 1st February, 2007, 08:34 PM
Godlike

Default I stand completely correct

I have reread this entire thing as you suggested Mr. White. Knowing now what I didn't know then I am still able to say with confidence that I was right being that I often said that the sliding bot problem that is related to the use of S3TC textures can be avoided if the server doesn't use the textures from CD2 but sticks with the ones from CD1. Then I went on to say that the fix for the problem does work and even handed out a instruction set to ensure that people could use it without problems provided the server didn't run S3TC textures as they should know not to.

Am I missing something that you wanted me to see?

Hermskii
Unread 20th October, 2007, 08:47 PM
Rampage

Well I have been plagued by the sliding bot saga for a l;ong time now and tonight decided to try the fix and followed ur guide well...now I have no more sliding bots, no more sliding players and no more bots or players acting like a dog wiping its ass on the grass.
Thanks.
Unread 20th October, 2007, 10:31 PM
Holy Shit!!

My cats do that too.
Outside...on the grass.
Inside on the carpet would really be gross.

A|ice
Unread 21st October, 2007, 04:47 AM
Rampage

Yea would cost a fortune in carpet cleaner..lmao
Unread 23rd October, 2007, 09:42 PM
Godlike

Default Great

Great! Another happy customer. All of this S3TC stuff was done a long time ago it seems to me. Yes it still works too but I have seen another issue come up with it on certain cards. I think it happens to certain ATI cards but what I remember is the brightness on your normal desktop gets much brighter when you come out of a UT game. Nothing fixes it except rebooting. Another thing I noticed was sometimes when you came into the game it would be dark. Too dark actually and the slider would not effect the brightness. My only answer to it was to turn off the game and restart it. When Idid that, the brightness would then work when you adjusted it with the slider.

Still, I'm happy to hear it worked for you and I haven't yet gotten a complaint from anyone saying it didn't work that I can remember anyways. To be clear, that is based on that these S3TC textures are not installed on the server itself. They should never be installed on the server! Later!

Hermskii
Unread 24th October, 2007, 01:31 AM
UTPure Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermskii View Post
Yes it still works too but I have seen another issue come up with it on certain cards. I think it happens to certain ATI cards but what I remember is the brightness on your normal desktop gets much brighter when you come out of a UT game. Nothing fixes it except rebooting.
123456789A
Attached Files
File Type: rar unbright.rar (22.9 KB, 56 views)