You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 9th January, 2003, 09:16 AM
Forum Newcomer

I'm trying to set up a lanserver on a winxp machine to be reached from the internet, the firewall/router is a win2k server machine. I've configured RRAS and the NAT to forward ports 7777, 7778 and gamespy ports 7787, 7788 to the internal IP on the winxp machine, but don't get the thing to run, anyone else done this? Would be glad for any assistance. It should work shouldn't it?
Unread 9th January, 2003, 10:25 AM
Killing Spree

>>but don't get the thing to run

Please elaborate, what won't run?
Unread 9th January, 2003, 11:43 AM
Forum Newcomer

(internet) ----> win2k server router/firewall (external ip) -----> winxp and ut server (internal ip).

Users can't connect to the UT server via the master browser neither does the server advertise correctly on the internet, I don't get the port redirection to work properly I guess but I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Maybe I've configured RRAS in the wrong way, I've forwarded the UDP ports 7777, 7778, 7787, 7788 to the internal winxp ut server ip and all the ports are opened in the firewall.

UT Server starts without problems on the internal winxp machine, all connections established and no errors in the log-file. The server name shows up in the ut2003 master browser but neither server information or ping is visible (ping N/A). Trying to connect leaves users with a black screen with my servers external ip, no connection.

If I run the server directly on the win2k machine with the public IP all works fine. It's something with the port-redirection, but what I don't know.
Unread 9th January, 2003, 04:58 PM
Killing Spree

Servers behind NAT / ICS / Firewalls

You will need to open some ports in order to allow outside clients to connect to your server. The default ports are 7777, 7778, 7787, 7788, 28900, 28902.

Find the [IpDrv.MasterServerUplink] part in your server's ini file, and modify the following value:
ServerBehindNAT=True

Unless you've altered the ports (for example, in the "multiple servers" bit above) then these ports should be all you need.

If you are unable to browse webadmin using the external IP address of your server, but accessing the webadmin from inside your LAN works, then the following may help you:
Find the [UWeb.WebServer] in your server's .ini file, and modify the following value
(where x.x.x.x is your public internet IP address ):
ServerName=x.x.x.x

As I see it, you appear to be missing the two ports labeled above in red. You may also wish to make sure all of the rest of this post is covered...GL!
Unread 9th January, 2003, 07:10 PM
Forum Newcomer

Thanks, I'll get to work on it right now. I read this in the tutorial also but I might have missed something.
Unread 10th January, 2003, 08:11 AM
Forum Newcomer

The UT-server is configured inte right way as described in the tutorial, also the ports 28900, 28902 were actually mapped. Despite this it doesen't work. Windows 2000 port redirection doesen't work as it should. I can't map anything else either, like the IIS on port 80, so it has nothing to do with the UT server, it's all win2k. Any input on this?
Unread 12th January, 2003, 05:13 PM
Killing Spree

Assuming you've tested the server by connecting over the LAN -and it works...

Does the server running UT have a static IP?

Have you mapped (NAT'd) the ports for TCP and UDP -I find doing both less problematic...

Have a look at Q329754 and Q310357 to make sure you've done everything.
Unread 13th January, 2003, 05:11 PM
Forum Newcomer

Thanks Jedimaster for replying...

Yes, clients connect without problems on the LAN.

The server has a dynamic IP through DHCP although it has not changed for more than a year, but yes, it's dynamically appointed.

Both TCP and UDP ports are mapped in the NAT (RRAS) to the lan server ip.

I Just looked up the articles on MSDN you mentioned and they confirm my NAT is set up by the book.

Yet more strangeness; A couple of friends have teamed up trying to solve this mystery by hooking up their own machines, LAN-servers through NAT onto the internet. We all run dsl with dynamically appointed ip-addresses and using win2k and .net rc1 servers. Same problems for everyone of us, the servers won't map the ports onto the lan. =(
Unread 13th January, 2003, 06:21 PM
Forum Newcomer

question to Jedimaster,
this might sound stupid, but i cant find this line in the ut2003.ini file.
original one or the one i made changes to.

"Find the [IpDrv.MasterServerUplink] part in your server's ini file, and modify the following value:
ServerBehindNAT=True "

Do i just add that the to config? does it make any diffrence where i place it in that file?

i hope thats the last thing that is keeing me from getting this server running. i have all the ports open that are lised in the Tutorial, i can see my server in the browser but the ping is "n/a" and i cant connect to it.
Unread 13th January, 2003, 07:03 PM
Forum Newcomer

I have win2k, and the main problem seems that it cannot map port 7778, or my firewall just won't let me allow that port opened. Anyone can connect to me by typing open mydomain.com or open <myipaddress>, but you cannot (couldn't) open my server from ut2003. Even though no matter how you connect to my server it still says conneting <myIp>.

I have a second dummy server running on win2k just to advertise my server as temporary fix. Of course, it always reports the same map, and no players

I haven't given up, but win2k seems to be a biznatch and doesn't want to map these ports. I am also using zonealarm, so it may be that that. Actually, i am starting to believe that it is zonealarm.
Unread 14th January, 2003, 11:00 AM
Forum Newcomer

Solitax!

The line "ServerBehindNAT=True" is not in the ini-file by default if running the freeware dedicated ut2003 server but it's in the ut2003 ini-file of the retail game. If you're running the freeware dedicated server behind a NAT, just add the lines to your ut2003.ini.

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
ServerBehindNAT=True
Unread 14th January, 2003, 06:31 PM
Forum Newcomer

Has anyone successfully mapped the correct ports and gotten your server to report using win2k?
Unread 15th January, 2003, 08:34 AM
Forum Newcomer

I am sure no one has because it can't be done, not even with a third party mapping utility. UT Webadmin can be redirected but not the server.

Prove me wrong, please =)

MS mediaserver may utilize some of the ports, ie 7778 so it has to be removed.
Unread 15th January, 2003, 05:31 PM
Forum Newcomer

Well, I did some packet sniffing. I did it server side and client side, and I see what is happening. The server is being reported in the master browser with either an incorrect port number, or no port number at all. If I run a server on my main server, I see that it also is using port 7778 TCP as well as UDP. On the server behind the firewall, the ports are correctly mapped and I can see them all by typing netstat -a -n from a commandprompt. I see that 7777, 7778, 7787,7788 are mapped UDP and that 7778 is not making a tcp connection.

I have a dummy server on my main server which broadcasts to the browser so people can actually connect to my server, but it doesn't show accurate game info of course.

I am still looking into it......anyone else try this with similar results?[/b]
Unread 15th January, 2003, 11:56 PM
Forum Newcomer

Well, I am not so sure about needing the 7778 TCP port...it showed up once before, but not anymore.

The real problem is that I am not getting my port number to epic? Which I don't understand, because I see I have the ports mapped and that they are listening.

as a matter of fact, mymachine:randomport has establisehd a connection with ut2003master1.epicgames.com:28902

I can see UDP ports 7777,7778,7787,7788 are all open. Epic is not receiving/reporting any port on my ip address.

I did see that windows media network monitor uses port 7778 and have removed it form windows installed components and also disabled it in the services to be damn sure its off.

This is driving me nutz!
Unread 16th January, 2003, 08:40 AM
Forum Newcomer

Is this procedure that unusual? I'm frequently reading different forums around the globe on this issue and it actually seems no one has got the server to run behind av win2k NAT, and if they've done it as some people claims they can't specify what they've done to make it happen, various broadband routers though seem to be up to the task. I mean, in theory a broadband router is no different from a windows server doing the same tasks, it should be no difference in practice either.

A key factor in this must be that we don't get the portnumber on to epics server. If a connection attempt to the server don't request a specific port it don't matter much what ports we've mapped.

Have anyone tried this without running dhcp, instead using static ip on the clients behind the NAT. It seems to be the deal to get some routers to work.

Another issue is the use of multihome=<ip> tag, a few people use this to home in on their internal client ip, ie. multihome=192.168.0.156.

I will try a few of these settings to see if it makes a difference or not. In the meantime, read what working setups other people have stated in the official forums.

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=235636
Unread 16th January, 2003, 08:47 AM
Forum Newcomer

Yes, I am running DHCP.

I plan on sniffing the packets b4 and after the pass through my firewall to see what is going on here. I just don't have a way right now, because I have an internal modem running ICS.

I seem to have gotten port 7778 UDP to forward, but still have the same results. I am curios why everyone is saying to map port s 28900 and 28902. I don't see any instance of me ever needing to connect on these ports...i do connect to those ports, but no one connects to me on those ports. It seems to me just 7777, and 7778 should just work!

oops, read your last post wrong....I have not tried w/out DHCP. and BTW port forwarding is working if ppl can connect to your server on port 7777, there is just something going on with us reporting to epic through win2k. This has really gotten me stumped
Unread 17th January, 2003, 10:10 PM
Forum Newcomer

Well, why in da !@&$ does it work for gamespy, but not epic?

I am going to try using a different port. If you use 7779, then the query port will be +1 to that.

We'll see if that fixes it.
Unread 19th January, 2003, 06:35 PM
Forum Newcomer

Looking forward to hearing about your conclusions, hopefully there will be a solution in the future, I on the other hand have given up the task.
Unread 29th January, 2003, 01:09 PM
Forum Newcomer

k i see u guys have some prob with running a server. im running a dedicated server behind a router. OS=XP. what i did is easy. add ur pc's ip given by the router 2 the DMZ list. or. open some port's. these- master server: 207.135.145.3:28902 - irc :63.165.10.30:6667 - UDP 7777,7778,7788,10777 - 6667, 28902