You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 8th September, 2003, 12:51 AM
Forum Newcomer

i got all of the server stuff done and the server starts up but when my fridn tries to join the ping says N/A and when he hits join he is stuck at the black screen and nothing happens...people have told me to open ports and i have by turning all of my firewalls off and everything is open....if you could help me please help...thx :notworthy:
Unread 8th September, 2003, 08:36 AM
Dominating

are you behind an ADSL router??
Unread 8th September, 2003, 11:06 PM
Forum Newcomer

i dont know the setup i haev it we have a cable modem hooked up then i wireless router and i have a wireless thing on my comp...so i dont know if i have a ADSl router
Unread 9th September, 2003, 12:24 AM
Holy Shit!!

Before we can help, you need to know what you have. A "wireless thing" doesn't help.
Unread 9th September, 2003, 04:16 AM
Holy Shit!!

Odds are that the "wireless thingy" is a gateway/router with built-in NAT and this is the same old tiresome bug that still haven't been fixed... but I guess they're holding out because they don't want to break netcode compatibility.

See here: http://www.ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7831f7c34a3d5de4289dd60bf246ba99& amp;threadid=234947
Unread 9th September, 2003, 06:31 AM
Killing Spree

naked ape i have a question i'm working on my first server right now and i want to run my dsl on one machine and have my server run on another machine whats the best way to go should i buy a router or should i buy a hub which one would work the best for me Also i was talking to my clan leader and he says people wont be able to connect to my server because my ip address wont let anyone join do u have an idea about what this means
Unread 9th September, 2003, 02:28 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond
naked ape i have a question i'm working on my first server right now and i want to run my dsl on one machine and have my server run on another machine whats the best way to go should i buy a router or should i buy a hub which one would work the best for me Also i was talking to my clan leader and he says people wont be able to connect to my server because my ip address wont let anyone join do u have an idea about what this means
My basic advice is: a router. But read on...

The problem your CL talks about is probably the bug I referenced in the above post. It affects computers sitting behind a NAT device (such as a router) so it might have som impact on your decision. If you want to avoid the bug you should put your server on a computer (CompA )which has a direct connection to the Internet. In order to give the second computer (CompB) access, CompA needs to act as a gateway (using ICS or WinRoute or similar software and 2 network cards). You could also plug a hub/switch into CompA so you can connect CompC, and CompD etc.

CompB...X -> CompA -> DSL

Having said that, it isn't kosher to run a server like that from a security standpoint (more processes running = greater risk for an exploit). But that is a decision you have to make for yourself.

If you decide to go with a router, you can either bite the bullet and accept that we must wait for a fix from Epic, or try to find one that works with UT2k3. I know that at least Orion Pax at ina-forums has a router which works, ask him what model he has.

HTH
Unread 10th September, 2003, 08:18 AM
Killing Spree

Quote:
If you want to avoid the bug you should put your server on a computer (CompA )which has a direct connection to the Internet. In order to give the second computer (CompB) access, CompA needs to act as a gateway (using ICS or WinRoute or similar software and 2 network cards). You could also plug a hub/switch into CompA so you can connect CompC, and CompD etc.

So if i do this does that mean i wont need to buy a router and if thats so how do i go about setting this up so does this mean that the machine thats not the server has to have 2 network cards?? and do i just need software to hook the machine not runnign the server to the internet

http://www.ina-community.com/forums/...hreadid=316646 <---- please visit this posta nd see if u know the answer thanx alot :notworthy:
Unread 10th September, 2003, 03:17 PM
Holy Shit!!

You're going to need 2 NICs for the server machine but not for any other machine. Software is required to use the server as a router. Windows has this built-in, it's called ICS and it might work well enough for you. I'd recommend you take a look at something a little more serious though. WinRoute is usually considered a good choice.

Check this thread out for some pictures (the first one is relevant to your situation) of such a setup: http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=316110
Nevermind that he has a ADSL router, it is just duplicating the functionality of his "server host". You would replace that router with your modem/bridge/whatever.

There is plenty of information about how to set up a network like this drifting on the 'Net.
Unread 14th September, 2003, 06:16 PM
Killing Spree

so u are saying i can use a hub well damn i have another guy telling me a hub is not going to work i have no clue what to do what should i do??/
Unread 14th September, 2003, 06:37 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
so u are saying i can use a hub well damn i have another guy telling me a hub is not going to work i have no clue what to do what should i do??/
If you use a router-in-a-box (such as a Netgear, D-Link or Linksys) or use a dual-NIC computer with the appropriate software as router, you can connect a hub (or, more commonly these days, a switch) to it in order to let other computers access the net.

Usually you can't just plug your xDSL-modem into a hub/switch and have it work, maybe that is what your friend is talking about?

It could also be that he is full of it...

I recommend that you go with a router-in-a-box unless you have some previous experience with networking. Most of these routers also have a built-in switch so you don't have to get one separately.
Unread 14th September, 2003, 07:28 PM
Killing Spree

alright i was lookin at a linksys router either model BEFSX41 or BEFSR41 will one of these work also i was told routers arent goign to work because of a NAT Bug thats in teh game whats up with this nat problem
Unread 14th September, 2003, 07:28 PM
Killing Spree

alright i was lookin at a linksys router either model BEFSX41 or BEFSR41 will one of these work also i was told routers arent goign to work because of a NAT Bug thats in teh game whats up with this nat problem
Unread 14th September, 2003, 07:47 PM
Holy Shit!!

Which computer is the server? One on the wireless or a wired one?
Unread 14th September, 2003, 08:08 PM
Killing Spree

was that question for me butt pirate or for ghost??
Unread 15th September, 2003, 02:44 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know which routers work and which don't...

If you can verify that the router in question preserves the source port on NATed packets, it will work. Good luck getting that info out of a sales-drone... :wall:

I suggest you go to ina-forums and look up that NAT bug thread. In that thread a guy (Orion Pax) posted that he has no problems with his router, ask him which one he has (don't remember if he said in the post).

As for a solution to the NAT bug, that is up to Epic...
Unread 17th September, 2003, 03:37 AM
Godlike

I've discussed Linksys routers on UnrealAdmin in several forums, so you might try doing a search on posts with "Linksys" in them to see those discussions.

The "NAT" bug you are aware of is in UT2K3, not UT. I know of several UT servers using Linksys firewalls sucessfully.

The setup is actually easier than most people think. There are several variations of configuration that will "WORK", depending on what OS your server is using, and what kind of protection you want out of the firewall.

For many people, the firewall is not there for security as much as it is a way to allow multiple computers to share a single internet connection.

Others, use the features of the firewalls to "protect" the private networks from malicious internet traffic.

Some Do's and Don'ts... (My opinions... of course)
[list:cdaebbc99b]1) Do not place a server (or any other PC) in a DMZ if you care about security at all.

2) Disable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) features on all firewalls. Also, strongly consider disabling UPnP in Windows XP. See www.grc.com for more on this.

3) Test the bandwidth of your internet connection before deciding to host a server. Then use this information to select a sensible Firewall, based on your performance needs.[/list:u:cdaebbc99b]
A few general observations about some Linksys Products:

BEFSR41[list:cdaebbc99b]This is the original Linksys firewall product. It has been offered since 2000 and has the most firmware versions available for it. It has been under continuous development since release. All firmware upgrades have been free so far. As a result, this is probably the most consistant and reliable Firewall Linksys offers. It is the most often used Linksys firewall for UT servers that I know of.[/list:u:cdaebbc99b]

BEFSX41
[list:cdaebbc99b]This is a newer more updated version of the BEFSR41. It has a faster 100 MegaBit WAN port (the BEFSR41 has a 10MegaBit WAN) and additional features like VPN endpoint capability, among other things. It has more flash memory capacity than the BEFSR41 too, so it can continue to be enhanced by Linksys where the BEFSR41 is showing signs of becoming somewhat "Crowded". It may be that the BEFSR41 is reaching the end of it's lifecycle as an enhanceable product. The downside of the BEFSX41 is that it's firmware is mostly new, and it gives the appearance of being a little rough around the edges yet. If Linksys continues to maintain it, as they did the BEFSR41, then I'm sure it will become the more desireable of the two.[/list:u:cdaebbc99b]

BEFVP41
[list:cdaebbc99b]This device is overkill for most UT needs, but I have tested it so I'll give the results. It was completely adequate to serve the game thru. It showed signs of working slightly better then the BEFSR41 and being more mature, firmware wise, than the BEFSX41 is at this point. It can accomodate many more simultaneous VPNs than any other Linksys offering, and was significantly more efficient than the BEFSR41. However, these differences are not enough, in my opinion, to reccommend it over the others. It has a 10 MegaBit WAN port. Please note that I was AMAZED that it was possible to play UT over a VPN connection on this device, without any detectable performance degredation despite the encryption overhead.[/list:u:cdaebbc99b]

NR041
[list:cdaebbc99b]This is marketed under the brand name NetworkEverywhere, but it is manufactured by Linksys. It seems to be a very cost reduced version of the BEFSX41, and has much more limited features. I have not used it to serve the game much, but it seems at least as capable as a BEFSR41 in performance and has a 100 MegaBit WAN port like the BEFSX41. It's metal package is more rugged than the Linksys brand ones, and may be less attractive to some. I can't fault this product technically, but it does feel more like a Chevy than a Ferrari.[/list:u:cdaebbc99b]

I won't review other manufacturers here, since the discussion only asked about Linksys products. I have no direct experience with the Linksys "Wireless" line, so I'll leave that to some one else.

Hope this hasn't been too boring.
Unread 17th September, 2003, 06:10 AM
Killing Spree

hi i called in to my isp tonight and i got info on how to forward my ports so the game could work but what is the range of the ports i need to put in
Unread 17th September, 2003, 08:03 AM
Killing Spree

and to clearify just in case i didnt get a router yet the techie showed me how to config my modem for port forwarding i just need to know what prts to farward my friend uses 7777-7788 and when my frien tried to connect the ping is still n/a and they sit at the black ip address screen thing
Unread 17th September, 2003, 06:46 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
...the techie showed me how to config my modem for port forwarding...
This suggests that there is some sort of firewall/router functionality in you modem and that probably includes NAT. Could you provide a link to the manual for you specific modem model?

The ports are (assuming you're using defaults):

7777/UDP
7778/UDP
7787/UDP
7788/UDP