You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Linux Specific

Unread 21st March, 2005, 11:47 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default linux server vs. Windows

Hi list!
I'm running two unrealserver in LAN. Same network, one dedicated linux and a windows one. Now the download from the windows machine is extremely faster (less then 1 minute) than the linux machine (10 minutes or more). Same maps. Any ideas what it could be or where I can config around a bit to get a faster linuxserver download? Beside after all, playing is better on the linux machine.
g stefan
Unread 21st March, 2005, 12:01 PM
Administrator

the linux machine isn't set up correcty to use HTTP redirects, the windows machine is.
Unread 21st March, 2005, 04:30 PM
Forum Newcomer

What has HTTP redirect to do with the unreal game ports? Though there are different ports for the game, such as 778 or sth like that.
Unread 21st March, 2005, 04:49 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acady
What has HTTP redirect to do with the unreal game ports? Though there are different ports for the game, such as 778 or sth like that.
You said nothing about ports, you said the downloads where faster.
Downloads are what the HTTP redirect refers to.
If you are not having problems with map downloads, then what is the actual problem you are having?
Unread 21st March, 2005, 06:48 PM
Forum Newcomer

the problem is, that the map download from the linux server takes 10 times more than the same maps from the windows server. But in the game, the linux server is better (the more player are in the map). Sorry for my question, seems I'm messing around between ports and http? I thought that unreal opens a seperate port for the map transfer (from the config .ini file) but in fact I can't see an open port. What for are the ports then? (Lan server port)
Unread 21st March, 2005, 06:54 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acady
the problem is, that the map download from the linux server takes 10 times more than the same maps from the windows server. But in the game, the linux server is better (the more player are in the map). Sorry for my question, seems I'm messing around between ports and http? I thought that unreal opens a seperate port for the map transfer (from the config .ini file) but in fact I can't see an open port. What for are the ports then? (Lan server port)
You should be using a redirect for the map downloads, not trying to have the game serve them. Read through the redirect tutorials on this site.
You can host the redirect on your own server if you want, or use one of the public redirects.
Unread 22nd March, 2005, 04:07 AM
Killing Spree

In other words, your Linux server most likely had map download redirect off when windows server had it on.
Check your UT2004.ini and check what RedirectToURL field says. Also set UseCompression=True. If you have no your own redirect and lazy to install it, use one of public redirects.
If you have no redirect http server then direct download speed from server is limited by MaxClientRate value. Don't recommend to increase it though because you risk to overload server with traffic and CPU usage will jump up.
Unread 25th March, 2005, 10:02 PM
Forum Newcomer

have you compressed the maps for the download either on the redirect or the server
if you don't have a redirect you should think about getting one