You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 6th January, 2004, 06:41 AM
Godlike

Cool Webnutt, glad to hear you got it working.

You should share what you end up with for those who might find this thread in the future.

Sorry HolyCrusader, I didn't mean to be harsh. Apparently my attempts to be jovial weren't so effective.

The ICS problem is kinda interesting. I probably won't have a chance to work it myself though, as I doubt I'd ever try to serve the game with XP.

As for the ServerBehindNAT not working, oh well.... it was a shot.

Yeah, I understand it's tough to make one's self spend money sometimes, but remember your time and frustration is worth something too. Think of it as a "step up" rather than a work-around. After all, trusting XP to firewall itself is a bit of an anachronism... if it were all that trustworthy, it wouldn't be so hole-y as to need a firewall in the first place!

Another POV is that being able to look at those "Blinkin Lights" actually helps you tune up the system and keep track of what's going on more than you might think.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted. (pun intended)
Unread 8th January, 2004, 11:18 AM
Killing Spree

Thankee 50BMG. I'll be playing around with the server configs again more in the near future when I have some time off again.

The one thing new I experimented with was using FireDaemon to set up the UT2k3 server as a WindowsXP Service. It didn't help, but I found the FireDaemon program useful nontheless for other possible projects.

Other than that, I just installed an extra HD I had floating around into my server computer so I can play around with Linux a bit. That may be the route for me to take without having to buy a new modem/router combo.

I don't want to part with my internal modem unless I have to, partly from a point of pride (hardly anybody uses the darn things ). If however I do need to buy new hardware, any recommendations on which modems/routers to stay away from?
Unread 8th January, 2004, 12:26 PM
Godlike

Quote:
"Pride goeth before the fall.... and right quick!"
I'm not going to be much help in the "Negative" advice area because you already know the generic stuff...

Make sure:[list:bc8e9821c2]* ...it's DOCSIS compatible

* ...it has an ETHERNET port

* ...it's stand alone (doesn't need to be in a PC to live and breathe)[/list:u:bc8e9821c2]
I had a toshiba T1100U (which has a courtesy USB port too).

Have fun!

P.S. - Couldn't you give someone a great bargain on a used cable modem rather than perpetuate your own misery, and save face that way?
Unread 6th February, 2004, 11:17 PM
Killing Spree

Just a follow-up post. My UT2k3 server finally works. I think the server had actually been working for much of my headaches. Apparently, with the WindowsXP ICS/NAT services, it can't do a "Boomerang" connect with UT2k3 (whereas I'd try to join the external IP address of my server instead of the internal LAN address). I only discovered that the server was working when I noticed in my log files that I'd had a couple people join it while I let it ran overnight After that, I installed anti-cheating mods, got the redirection services working, and a few other things.

Everything Was Good(tm) :notworthy: , until, about a week later...

The server computer suffered hardware failure of unknown origin. :angry:

So I had to downgrade down to my old K6/2-233 server to run my Internet (my infamous Cable Modem still worked just fine) and I've been downgraded until just recently. Now I've had time to figure out how to host my UT2k3 server from BEHIND my XP NAT/ICS... and seems to be working fine.

Now, I just need to find a new redirect service since I've just discovered that http://ut2k3maps.gaming.stny.com/maps/ no longer exists.

Thanks again to you folks that gave assistance. Take care!
Unread 4th April, 2004, 01:46 AM
Forum Newcomer

ok this sounds very similar to a problem i encountered, it was actually the way i launched the game, since your are getting stuck at the same point eb screen. try this in the runserver.bat

Paste these lines and launch it throuth the bat.

@echo off
:10
ucc server ONS-Torlan?game=Onslaught.ONSOnslaughtGame ini=UT2004.ini log=TypeLogNameHere.log
copy server.log servercrash.log
goto 10

then see if this corrects the problem, doesnt sound like a connection problem.I use the webadmin to config server once its up.