You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Windows Specific

Unread 7th April, 2004, 02:10 AM
Godlike

[list:db6fd0c6eb][/list:u:db6fd0c6eb]

Above is a diagram of your system as we now know it to be.

It Shows a Cable Modem with an internal Router.
Routers usually have 2 addresses... a WAN (Wide Area Network) address and a LAN (Local Area Network) address.

While the WAN address is PUBLIC and accessible from the INTERNET, LAN addresses are PRIVATE.

The purpose of your Router is as a GATEWAY to the intetnet for PCs on your LAN. So, it is constructed to do this as your PCs request the service.

However, it's other function is to PREVENT UNAUTHORIZED traffic on the internet from getting to your LAN devices. (Called a Firewall)

In the Case of UT, you actually WANT one of your LAN machines to be accessible FROM OTHER MACHINES ON THE INTERNET.

This is where FORWARDING comes in. Forwarding of ports on your router's WAN address allows the traffic to be sent to your server's LAN address. Thus, Game Clients on the internet THINK they are playing on a server at the WAN address (66.25.34.12) when actually the Server is on your LAN at 192.168.0.2.

Why would we want to do this?
[list:db6fd0c6eb]Because ONLY traffic on the ports YOU SPECIFY will be permitted to get to the Server. Other attempts to get to it on other WAN ports (like ftp, web or others) will not, unless you specifically authorize it.[/list:u:db6fd0c6eb]
Hope that clears up some of your questions.
Unread 7th April, 2004, 12:29 PM
Rampage

i dontknow if is up and going but i have it going right now all day
the name of the server is
Rotz test server 420

let me know if you can connect and how you did it .....

rotz
Unread 8th April, 2004, 05:54 AM
Godlike

Hi,

Sorry, I was away all day until right now.

I just checked, and didn't see the server advertised, or at the previous IP of 66.25.34.12

Please post the present IP (WAN) so I can look for the server directly, regardless of whether the advertising succeeds or not.

If you post or email me the contents of your router's FORWARDING table, I can look the settings over. This is the most likely problem spot left.
Unread 8th April, 2004, 10:39 AM
Rampage

router's FORWARDING table how do i find that info??
Unread 8th April, 2004, 05:00 PM
Godlike

I have called Linksys in an attempt to discover what's going on here, and as a result, I have doubts that you've correctly identified the equipment.

When I asked:
Quote:
Please specify your network equipment and how it's connected.
[list:68b9ea583a]Which Linksys Cable Modem?
Any other stuff... a Router Maybe?[/list:u:68b9ea583a]
Your response was:
Quote:
it is a (linksys) cable gateway.instant broadband!!!

it is connected through my cable line and running to my computer with a ethernet connection....no router ....my firewall is disabled......

It concerns me that you did not identify the modem until I prompted you with the model number I found from my research on the Linksys site. You then said:

Quote:
yes that is my modem the same excat one.... model BEFCMU10 is the model # i looked at the bottom of my modem and thats it ......................
Later you posted:[list:68b9ea583a][list:68b9ea583a][/list:u:68b9ea583a][/list:u:68b9ea583a]

I'm not there with you, so I'm trying to understand the situation through your eyes.
[list:68b9ea583a]Is it possible that you could acutally have two devices and not one? [/list:u:68b9ea583a]I can't imagine that, but here's what Linksys told me...

Quote:
They have no SINGLE PRODUCT that has a Cable Modem, an Ethernet port, a Wireless interface, and a USB port in the same device.

I have downloaded the manuals and datasheet for this product (the BEFCMU10)
[list:68b9ea583a]There no allusion to it having an internal Firewall.

There is no mention that it can contain a "Wireless card".

In fact, there is a statment which would lead one to believe that there is NO INTERNAL Firewall / Router.
[list:68b9ea583a]The DataSheet for the product states: "connect it to a Linksys router and share that high-speed Internet access with everyone on your home network"[/list:u:68b9ea583a][/list:u:68b9ea583a]

So, to answer your question: Without a complete, accurate list of the equipment involved and part numbers, I can't tell you what to do with any confidence that I would be correct.

Please re-examine the equiment and if you are still under the same impression, seek assistance from someone who can view the equipment with you and consult Linksys to resolve this question.
Unread 10th April, 2004, 03:52 AM
Rampage

my model is a (CABLE GATEWAY LINKSYS) Model #befcmuh4
im sorry bout that but if you can still help I will be much thankfull......

Rotz
Unread 10th April, 2004, 08:43 AM
Godlike

Hi,

BEFCMUH4 - Right.

Well, I can't find it on the Linksys site, but there's plenty of info on it on the internet, so you appear to have the right P/N.

Unfortunatly, I haven't been able to find a manual for it yet. Is it brand new?

I did find a few snapshots of screens that make me think it's based on the same code as the other firewall products.

So, until I can get a manual I can't be certain, but if they followed the same mould, these instructions might get you somewhere.
[list:7967cfa03d]1) using your browser, visit http://192.168.0.1/
2) A login dialogue appears, enter ADMIN for a user (if it asks for a user) and ADMIN for a password
[list:7967cfa03d]If it lets you in, continue. If not try 0000 for the password. If you still can't get in, then we'll have to wait for a manual.[/list:u:7967cfa03d]
3) Once the page loads, you'll see a form with TABs across the top. Hunt around until you find one named FORWARDING, and click on it.
[list:7967cfa03d]This is the form you need to use to tell the router to allow internet traffic to the game server.

I think you told me that you had Linksys on the phone. If you did, there may be some info they helped you with in it already. If so, it must be incorrect, or you'd be working now.

Fill it out as follows, replacing their info if it's there:
[list:7967cfa03d]Local IP Adr: 192.168.0.2
Start Port: 7777
End Port: 7787
Protocol: BOTH
Enabled: Be sure to put a check in it

Then hit APPLY[/list:u:7967cfa03d][/list:u:7967cfa03d]
That should do it. Close the browser and try your server.[/list:u:7967cfa03d]
There's other stuff I usually change, but I don't want to have you poking around and mess up something that would be difficult to fix. If my instructions are close enough, this may be sufficient for now.
Unread 10th April, 2004, 02:50 PM
Rampage

i just now did that i will leave my server going all day the name will be (ROTZ TESTER) ....and by the way ....
on the post above you leave the username blank and the pass...is ADMIN....

thats it.....

Rotz
Unread 11th April, 2004, 03:50 AM
Godlike

Thanks for the reply about the password that worked.

This kind of feedback really helps others who read these threads looking for solution to their issues, after the fact.

As of this evening, 19:00 Pacific time, I don't see your server.

If you're still having trouble, check the following list.[list:031ec9967c]
1) Make cetain that your server can access the internet. This can be done by using it to run a browser to visit a website.

2) Double check that the Server's LAN IP address is the same one that has been put in the router FORWARDING table.

3) Check the Server's LOG to see that it shows the MASTER BROWSER connection attempts don't fail. Your original LOG post had the idea...

Quote:
Log: Resolved unreal.epicgames.com (207.135.145.4)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is unreal.epicgames.com:27900
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound.
Log: Resolved master0.gamespy.com (207.38.8.34)
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Master Server is master0.gamespy.com:27900
ScriptLog: UdpServerUplink: Port 7779 successfully bound. ...
[list:031ec9967c]In this excerpt you can see the Server has found the IP of the Master Server's at IP 207.135.145.4 and 207.38.8.34, and both are successfully bound.[/list:u:031ec9967c]
4) Play the server from your LAN using it's LAN IP just to make sure it still works. It's usually no use to try to use it's WAN address from behind the same firewall the server is on, for technical reasons.

5) If all that looks good, see if the server appears in the Browser List from your UT client.
[list:031ec9967c]The LOG file shows it should be there. Make sure you look for the same Server Name in the UT Servers list as in the LAN list. I've seen cases where the server had been working and the admin didn't know it because he had failed to fill in the name where it needed to be in the INI. This caused the server to advertise under a name he wasn't expecting.[/list:u:031ec9967c][/list:u:031ec9967c]
If the advertising doesn't succeed, gather the following and post it.
[list:031ec9967c]* Another LOG file.

* Your current WAN IP (if you leave the Server up, we'll test it directly)

* A snapshot of your router's FORWARDING table contents (We'll check it)[/list:u:031ec9967c]
If none of that helps, it may turn out that we need to get the manual for your modem / router to continue this. Sometimes other router features can interfere with the game if they're not disabled. Don't go hunting for this by yourself unless you're very confident about the changes you attempt.

[list:031ec9967c]A single wrong setting could effectively disable your entire access to the internet and your LAN.[/list:u:031ec9967c]

I've looked over Linksys's website and ftp server over pretty carefully and can't find any support for your device. I'll call them monday and get a location to download a manual from.
Unread 11th April, 2004, 07:15 AM
Rampage

http://www.msnusers.com/Rotsgroup/Do...Fug%5B0%5D.pdf
here is the manual

i hope it helps
Unread 11th April, 2004, 08:12 AM
Godlike

Well, I got your manual..... thanks. It doesn't fully document the router features of your modem, so be on the look-out for an updated one.

However... Apparently you already fixed the problem during one of the past steps I gave you.

I know this because I now see that a UT "favorite" I programmed with the IP address you gave me before, is now responding.

But.... guess what?

It doesn't have the name you told me to look for?!

It says your server name is:
[list:3a089f60a5][PURE]##############ROTZ TESTeR[/list:u:3a089f60a5]

Buddy, I have to tell you that you need to start being more precise when you post on these forums or you'll always have this much difficulty.
[list:3a089f60a5]When did you install PURE?[/list:u:3a089f60a5]

Pure can be set many ways. One of them modifies your server name by adding a prefix.

When you're seeking help, you need to keep the others trying to assit you informed about changes you're making, otherwise it will drive EVERYONE CONCERNED NUTS !:wall:

Anyway, your server can be seen now.

Good luck.
Unread 11th April, 2004, 08:44 AM
Rampage

I set up an Unreal Tournament Server, but others on the LAN cannot join. What do
I need to do? If you have a dedicated Unreal Tournament server running, you
need to create a static IP for each of the LAN computers and forward ports
7777, 7778, 7779, 7780, 7781, and 27900 to the IP address of the server. You
can also use a port forwarding range of 7777 ~ 27900. If you want to use the
UT Server Admin, forward another port (8080 usually works well but is used
for remote admin. You may have to disable this.), and then in the
[UWeb.WebServer] section of the server.ini file, set the ListenPort to 8080 (to
match the mapped port above) and ServerName to the IP assigned to the
Cable Gateway from your ISP.
Can multiple gamers on the LAN get on one game server and play simultaneously
with just one public IP address? It depends on which network game or what
kind of game server you are using. For example, Unreal Tournament supports
multi-login with one public IP.
Unread 11th April, 2004, 08:49 AM
Rampage

i did what was posted above and i dont know if it works i will be up for a bit...so if you can try and connect for me and let me know if you can ...that would be great.....
and i installed [pure]like this morning......
so let me know if i need to take it off or what or if you can connect .....the server name still the same.....

www.sdaunderground.com
ut2004://67.19.181.55:7777/2K4
**Snipers Heaven**
unreal://67.19.181.52:7777/99
**Sniper's Heaven**
Unread 11th April, 2004, 10:40 AM
Godlike

1) I have joined the server, and it is playable from the internet. UTPURE and MapVote download from your server correctly.

2) The forwarding of ports is only necessary for the server. DO NOT FORWARD PORTS TO GAME CLIENT MACHINES

3) STATIC IP ADDRESSES are only helpful for the SERVER, and don't help GAME CLIENT PCs AT ALL. I'd leave them dynamic.

4) When the Game Client is on the LAN, join the server from the LAN tab of the browser. DO NOT USE THE INTERNET ADDRESS. ONLY GAME CLIENTS ON THE INTERNET USE THIS.

Good luck, you're there.
Unread 13th April, 2004, 12:01 PM
Rampage

well thanks i got it going and im still working out all my minor bugs but thanks alot dude your the master...

rotz

www.sdaunderground.com
ut2004://67.19.181.55:7777/2K4
**Snipers Heaven**
unreal://67.19.181.52:7777/99
**Sniper's Heaven**