You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 4th September, 2003, 02:34 AM
Killing Spree

hey my name is jamesbond (aka Chris) but anyways i am looking at running my own server and i need help see i tried this: On my comp right now i tried running a server through the host a multiplayer game and all went smooth i was setting it up for invasion (by the way i hjave the latest patch 2225) and i wanted it to be dedicated so i get everything done and then i lcik start the game closes and the server thing pops up so i go back in the game i click lan tab the game is in there and i can play it and stuff then i click the invasion tab its in there but ping is n/a and when u try to join it sits at the black loading screen and i'm also looking at letting the server run off my old comp ( specs below) and i have dsl i was wondering what do i need to do to make it work and whats wrong with it right now that people cant join when i try it on my new comp? i actually have adsl and i dont know if my connection can hnadle it but please help anybody help me

old comp specs:
pentium 4 2.4 ghz
512 ram
80 gb harddrive

new comp specs:
pentium 4 2.47 ghz
100gb hard drive
512 ram

someone please help me
Unread 4th September, 2003, 08:49 AM
Dominating

when u start a dedicated server u CANNOT use the game to play on it, the only way you can host a server and play on it at the same time using the SAME install of the game is by hosting a 'listen server'

you could get around this by downloading the server only version of UT2003 and using that to run your server and then use your normal retail version of the game to then connect to it. but im not sure whether thats advisable as having 2 installs running at the same time on the same machine is gonna bring most machines to their knees.

if you have a spare machine, install the server only version on there and use your machine retail copy to play from.

or your only choice is to use your retail version of the game to host but DONT then run the server as dedicated.
Unread 4th September, 2003, 03:30 PM
Killing Spree

ok thanx for your help do u know a good site where i can get this server only verison of the game and what version of them game is best to run it is version 2225 good enough or should it be a lower version thanx again for all your help
Unread 4th September, 2003, 04:31 PM
Dominating

here for the server install:
ftp://ftp.infogrames.net/misc/ut2003...Server2225.zip

you then need a cdkey here:
http://ut2003master.epicgames.com/ut...rver/cdkey.php

download the 2 Bonus packs here:
http://ftp.wireplay.co.uk/ut2003/bon...nus.ut2mod.zip

http://ftp.wireplay.co.uk/ut2003/bon...nuspackone.exe

you'll find plenty of tutorials on this site for setting up the server only version correctly, and obviously you'll find more support from us server admins in the forum.
Unread 5th September, 2003, 07:37 AM
Killing Spree

ok i got that all done but now i ran into another problem a friend of mine says if i want to run a dedicated server on another computer i need to get a router can u give me some info on a router and what i need to do when i get one? Also i was wondering whats is up with the run as a service or a batch file do i need to do this stuff to run a server??
Unread 5th September, 2003, 08:56 AM
Killing Spree

also i was looking through the dedicated server file i got and i dont get how to use it where do i extract the files do do i extract them to where my other ut2003 files are and let them over write them or what do i do to get this to work please help thanx alot for all the help already
Unread 5th September, 2003, 10:11 AM
Dominating

right create a new folder on your hard drive called:

server.ut2003

unzip the dedicated server zip file into there.

this is now your dedicated server

get your cdkey form the above link, unzip that file and double click on it, click yes to add the contents to the registry (im pretty sure its a .reg file)

unzip the bonus packs and install them as you would normally do for your own retial copy of the game, only point the install screen to c:\server.ut2003 or wherever you created your new folder.

to create a server go into the server.ut2003/system folder and make a copy of the UT2003.ini file. rename this copy server_ctf.ini

now u can edit this ini SPECIFICALLY for ctf.
go thru all the settings, and adjust them how u want them, timelimit etc.
check your port number, do you want to keep the default 7777 for example?

stick an admin username and password in where their needed.

save it.

your .bat files are what start the server. I've uploaded a ctf bat file for you here:
http://ftp.wireplay.co.uk/ut2003/utils/server1_ctf.zip

unzip this file into the server.ut2003 folder, NOT inside the system folder but in the root of the server.ut2003 folder.

if you right click on the bat file and select 'edit' you can view the settings of the server and change any u want.

double click on this bat file and the dedicated server will start, and you will get a dos window showing you the log of whats going on.
Unread 5th September, 2003, 11:39 PM
Killing Spree

hey man thanx but is there a way you coulde start a .bat file for invasion thats what i was looking at doing because it needs less people then ctf and my internet cant support alot of players so thats why i wanted to start an invasion server if u could thanx and also thanx alot for all the help you gave me so far you rock
Unread 6th September, 2003, 07:41 AM
Dominating

make a new ini file from your ctf one and rename it invasion_server.ini, edit hte name of the server inside the ini file and the ports you want.

copy your ctf bat file and rename it invasion_server.bat.

edit your bat file to:

server=invasion_server

then edit the command line:
change the game=XGame.XCTFGame
to
game=Skaarjpack.Invasion <--- i 'think'

then you can edit the rest of the line to how you want your invasion game to run, ie translocator on or off? timelimit etc etc
Unread 6th September, 2003, 08:31 AM
Killing Spree

hey thanx man but sry i'm i guess what u can call a newb at this and you said in the ini file i make specifically for ctf which i'll be making it for invasion but what do i do in it lik ewhere is the server name and where do i select the ports and how do i add the admin name in and sdo i keep everything thats in the ini file i'm sry for the newb questions i just want this to turn out right well cya i'll be waiting for your reply
Unread 6th September, 2003, 11:26 AM
Dominating

[url]
Protocol=unreal
ProtocolDescription=Unreal Protocol
Name=Player
Map=Index.ut2
LocalMap=NvidiaLogo.ut2
NetBrowseMap=Entry.ut2
Host=
Portal=
MapExt=ut2
EXEName=UT2003.exe
SaveExt=usa
Port=7777 <--- the port number the game will use
Class=Engine.Pawn
Character=Rapier

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
ConnectionTimeout=180.0
InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
AckTimeout=1.0
KeepAliveTime=0.2
MaxClientRate=10000.0 <-- if your running this server off ADSL set this to say 5000
SimLatency=0
RelevantTimeout=5.0
SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
ServerTravelPause=4.0
NetServerMaxTickRate=20 <--- leave that at 20
LanServerMaxTickRate=35
DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
AllowPlayerPortUnreach=False
LogPortUnreach=False
MaxInternetClientRate=7000.0 <-- if ADSL set 5000
MaxConnPerIPPerMinute=5
LogMaxConnPerIPPerMin=False

[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
ServerName=Another UT2003 Server <--- name of your server
ShortName=UT2 Server
ServerRegion=0
AdminName=Admin <--- your name
AdminEmail= <--- your email address
MOTDLine1=
MOTDLine2=
MOTDLine3=
MOTDLine4=

[Engine.AccessControl]
AdminPassword= <--- set your admin password here
KickToMenu=Xinterface.UT2NetworkStatusMsg
GamePassword= <-- set a game password here if you want a private server
bBanByID=True

thats should be enuff to get you started
Unread 6th September, 2003, 05:49 PM
Killing Spree

alright thanx now i understand that i just have one question like everything else thats not on the list of stuff u showed me to change in the ini file they stay there right or do i delte the stuff and just make the ini file should what u havwe listed last reply only sry that might have sounded like a dumb question. Also is a server possible to run on a adsl connection because one guy told me its not going to work that well
Unread 6th September, 2003, 06:43 PM
Dominating

no DO NOT delete everything else in the ini file LOL

just change the stuff above.

running a server on ADSL ISNT the best connection to run it on.

you only have 256k upload spped, u have to share that limited amount of bandwidth between your players.

so you need to cap the players netspeed as i showed you above.

the lower u cap their netspeed the more players you can get on, BUT dont set it too low otherwise their ping/lag will suffer.
Unread 6th September, 2003, 09:40 PM
Killing Spree

ok i got that but i have some questions how do i add my maps to it i have a map vote but i dont get how to add maps to it
Unread 6th September, 2003, 11:14 PM
Dominating

you dont need to add maps to it, mapvote will just read your maps folder and disaplay all hte maps you have available for the current gametype your playing.

just download hte maps you want and unzip them into the correct folders.

thats simple enuff, just put the files with the correct extension into the right folder.
Unread 7th September, 2003, 01:56 AM
Killing Spree

ok i got that all i'm just needing to buy a router and then i can see if my server works but i have a question if i'm playing in my server how do i go about logging in as the admin? and how do i boot people and a big thing is if i ban someone how do i unban them thanx again you rock :notworthy:
Unread 7th September, 2003, 02:55 AM
Killing Spree

HELP!!! I was looking at some of the stuff in the map vote and it showed like i had to add the mutators and everything do i need to do that if not how do i do the mutating stuff then like insta gib and also it said i had to add a command line like ucc.exe do i put that in my batch file?
Unread 7th September, 2003, 07:28 AM
Killing Spree

hey man sry for all the questions but for real i'm getting into this now but last night i was looking at some stuff and how come when i open the btach file the first map is a ctf map And also on the mutaators i got it says i have to edit the ut2003.ini files do i edit the actual one or do i edit the one i named invasion_server also should i move the ut2003.ini out of the server.ut2003 file i made
Unread 7th September, 2003, 08:10 AM
Dominating

Mutators - if you right click on your ctf bat file and click edit.

you see the line starting with:

ucc.exe server CTF-Citadel?

this is know as the command line, this contains all the 'commands' that tell your server what settings to use.

to make your server startup automatically with mapvote you need to add it at the end of the line after your last mutator.

so in the CTF bat file i did for you you need to add this:
...........bForceRespawn=False?mutator=MapVote400b6.MapVote

you also need to add your mapvote package to the server ini in the serverpackages section:

ServerPackages=MapVote400b6

remember the stuff above is specific to mapvote400b6

read the mapvotes readme file to determine what exact text u should enter.

as for your invasion server starting on CTF, well look at your bat file, what map is there in the command line?

if you want a DM map, then just replace CTF-Citadel with wotever DM u want, invasion should then use a DM rotation.

INI files ALWAYS stay in the system folder, NEVER move files into different folders, or you game wont work.
Unread 7th September, 2003, 05:50 PM
Killing Spree

i noticed you said that mao vote looks in teh folder and get all the maps that are in that folder what if there is some maps i dont qwant to be in the map vote then what should i do thanx again for the reply u just sent me it helped a lot