You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 4th August, 2005, 05:37 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default Need help setting up server, please forgive me.

ok, this is my first post, and first, i'd like to say: glad to be a part of the community and I love UT2k4. I would like to set up a listen server using the options in UT2k4 to host a game, so me, my friend, and my gf can play. I haven't been able to get this to work yet in ut2k3 or 2k4.

I know your going to tell me: 'read the tutorials, use the search button, there have been plenty of posts about this kind of stuff'...... yea, i know. I have spent 12+ hours reading these forums, and the tutorials and searching other websights to try and figure this out, but i have a pretty big problem. I'm a complete noob, and know almost nothing about networking, routers, modems, IPs, and the internet in general.

Ok, so if you're still reading heres the deal: I have windows xp pro, and under Network connections > Local Area Connection (and also) 1394 Connection > Properties > Advanced > Settings
General Tab: Off option selected (for firewall)
Exceptions Tab: all boxes 'checked' including "Play UT2004"

I have a Linksys 4 port (NR041) router, and a black Westell DSL modem provided by my ISP (Bell South). My router was givin to me, and I have no documentation for it, and no clue how to 'log on' to my router and configure options, or my modem for that matter. I'm such a noob, I have no idea what my IP adress is, or how to find out. I have looked at several things that apparently have my ip adress, but I've seen about 4-5 different adresses and don't know which one is which, or anything about them.
I assume, I have different adresses, for modem, adress for router, and maybe one for my computer or something, i really have no idea. For example: Back to the Network Connections > Status > Support Tab there are 3 addresses: IPAdress, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.... I assume IPAdress is my IP, but when i enter it into internet explorer adress bar, page not found.

When i try and host a game, I click the "advertise server" option. LAN games work fine, but my game doesn't show up on the internet server list at all. When my friend tries to host, his shows up on the server list, but with the infamous N/A ping.

Well, I have read that a lot of this could be problems with opening ports, port forwarding, NAT, etc.... So the first thing I tried to do, was unplug my router entirely, and just try to host with the cord going straight from my computer, to the modem, to the phone jack. Same deal, not showing up on server list.

The tutorial really isnt very helpful for me, because I'm not really interested in creating a batch file (wouldnt know how to anyway), I just want to run a listen server from the game menu so me and my friends can play together.
I don't have Norton Internet Security installed or any other crap like that, just the router, modem, and windows xp firewall. All security settings are set to Medium or lower in the Internet Explorer > Internet Options.
And I guess I should say, I don't know how to open ports, don't know how to forward ports, don't know how to set router to DMZ, and don't know how to configure my router or my modem.

I know you guys probably don't want to sit here and explain to me all about networking, and how to configure my router, and what IPs and ports are. "Read a book or sumthin, search the internet for networking info" i'm sure you will say. But any info you might be able to tell me, like why its not working, even straight through the modem with no router, or even a link to a website that has info on how to configure routers would be appreciated. I have been to the Linksys websight, and tried to look up information about my router, and read the manual and crap.... was a nice waste of about 3 hours. I even had a long ass talk with some support tech.

Btw, I think it really sux how you have to know all this crap and spend hours on end troubleshooting, just so you can play a video game online with your friends. I really miss the days when I could have my dial up modem, call my friends house, and his modem would answer the phone, and we would play some Doom2, or Duke3d Co-op story mode for hours on end.

Sorry for the long ass post, but i really want to play, and any help would be apreciated.
Unread 4th August, 2005, 09:22 AM
Holy Shit!!

Without turning this into "Networking 101", let's go through a few quick things to try to determine where the problem is: First, connect directly through your modem and go to http://www.whatismyip.com/. Next open a command prompt (aka DOS prompt) and run the command ipconfig, compare the addresses. Hopefully they will match, if they don't, your modem includes a NAT bridge and you need to find the manual for your modem to find out how to open ports or ask your ISP about disabling that function.

Assuming addresses do match, the next step is to add an exception for UT2004 in the Windows firewall. To do this in XPs firewall (SP2) go to Control Panel -> Seecurity Center -> Windows Firewall -> Exceptions and click "Add Program". Select UT2004 from the list or use the browse button to find the UT2004.EXE in the System folder of you UT2004 installation. Make sure you assign the actual game executable to the exception, not a shortcut such as "Play UT2004".

Now you should be able to host.

Adding your router to the mix will require you to find a manual for your router (most can be found on the Internet) and finding out how to forward ports. The ports in question are 7777/UDP and 7778/UDP assuming you don't care about your server appearing in Gamespy browsers or the web admin interface (hint: what you're looking for is usually referred to as "Virtual Servers"). What you should also do if forwarding ports in your firewall is change you computer to a static IP address rather than the DHCP system usually used by default. For more info on this either see your routers manual or spend some time at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys.

I hope that is enough information to get you going.
Unread 9th August, 2005, 11:57 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default Tried some things

Ok, thx for your help. I read a bit more, and figured out how to log on to configure my modem & router. The modem is a 'Westell' that Bellsouth sent to me, and unfortunatly, there is no online manual for it. I DMZ my linksys router, and I forwarded the correct ports on my modem.

Also, windows firewall (the only firewall on my comp btw) is completly off *AND* under exceptions I have UT2k4 checked, and have also opened ports in the exceptions box, just to be thorough.

I'm still getting the N/A ping, and when I try to "Open IP" in UT2k4 on my gf's comp, I enter my external WAN IP, and it still won't connect.

I have DHCP enabled on both the router and modem by default. I don't really know what I need to do to disable it. I did some reading, and it said when I disable it, I need to enter a static IP, but idk what IP I should enter..... Idk if it wants my external IP, or my comp's LAN IP. Also, idk if my ISP issues me a static IP (although I'm gonna call bellsouth tomorrow and ask them about it, and also make sure I have done everything I needed to do with the NAT port-forwarding thing). I have PPPoE DSL.

So.... assuming I have all the necessary ports forwarded on the router and modem, is having DHCP enabled messing me up? And if so, how do i set a static IP up? Do I have to ask bellsouth for an IP, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway? If I disable DHCP, it seems I need to enter that info for my modem config, router config, and under "network connections > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties" should i click the "Use the following IP adress: " radial button and fill out that too with the same info?

I think I've ruptured about a billion brain cells trying to learn about all this networking crap heh. idk if the DHCP thing is screwing me up or not, but idk what else could be the problem.

And I've checked a billion times making sure I havent done anything stupid, like forget to click the 'advertise server' button or anything dumb like that.

Anyway.... thx for the help, and hopefully I'll get this working soon. I'll continue reading hundreds of threads too, to hopefully figure this out.

Edit: I have heard that as long as ppl have the correct ports forwarded and what-not, they are at least able to manually enter the host's IP adress and connect. Even this would be fine for me and my friends if I could get it to work. Maybe I'm not having them try to connect to my proper IP adress or sumthin. If anyone could tell me, what I need to have my friends do to "Open IP" and what adress to enter so they can connect, it would be appreciated.

Last edited by Malevolence : 9th August, 2005 at 12:04 PM.
Unread 9th August, 2005, 01:46 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolence
If anyone could tell me, what I need to have my friends do to "Open IP" and what adress to enter so they can connect, it would be appreciated.
They have to put in the IP that you see at http://www.whatismyip.com/
Unread 9th August, 2005, 02:10 PM
Holy Shit!!

If I understand this correctly, both your modem and your router has a firewall? That makes it a little harder to tell you exactly what to do since I would need to know exactly what functionality is in you modem. More specifically if it too does NAT or if it is just a pure packet filter. But let's not dig into that problem just yet.

About DHCP, yes, it can be a problem, this is why: When you tell your router to forward ports (or DMZ a computer) you tell it to forward traffic to a specific IP. If your computer changes IP the router will keep sending to the old IP and thus it won't work. The solution is to assign a static IP to your computer. There are several ways to do this but the simplest is to log on to your router, look at the DHCP tab and look for something called "served range" or similar. Usually this will be 192.168.x.100 - 192.168.x.200 where x is commonly 0 or 1. Now, we know that the router grabs the first IP in the net(192.168.x.1) for itself and that the last address (192.168.x.255) is reserved as the broadcast (and .0 is reserved as it was a broadcast address in some ancient systems) but .2 - .99 and .201 -.254 are free to pick.
Configure your computer to use a static IP (there are guides in Windows help and on the 'Net) and set Address to one of the free ones above, set NetMask to 255.255.255.0 and set DNS Server to 192.168.x.1 (where x is the same as in your routers DHCP tab. When this is done, verify that everything still works then go into your router and change the port forwarding (or DMZ) to point to the IP you just gave your computer.

Now, because you say that both your modem and your router have settings for DHCP and firewall, the possibility is that you need to do the same steps between the router and modem but I can't help you in any detail with that. The principles are the same though. I would recommend talking to you ISP support about turning all such functionality off in the modem. This would greatly simplify troubleshooting.

Two things finally: I do not recommend using the DMZ function in your router. What this function does is completely open the router firewwall toward the computer in question. It is better to forward only the specific ports you need. And the other thing, what your friends need to "Open IP" is the IP address you get when visiting http://www.whatismyip.com/. Assuming you run on the default port (7777) they just need to type open <address> in the console (or add this IP to favourites).

Last edited by Naked_Ape : 8th November, 2005 at 03:37 AM.
Unread 14th August, 2005, 11:04 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default thx for help

sweet I'll give it a try, connecting directly by opening the IP, and i'll ask my ISP about the modem. Thanks for response, I've leaned a good bit ^^ heh.
Unread 5th September, 2005, 10:21 PM
Killing Spree

If you continue to have problems, add my MSN, I'll see if I can get you up and running.

Rockett

[email address] (email doen't work, but MSN still does )
Unread 20th October, 2005, 10:24 AM
Forum Newcomer

hi, if you try to open webadmin by typing http://my_ip:listen_port do you get no page displayed in IE? Alternatively if you use your lan IP do you get webadmin come up?

if you're supposed to use the first scenario, what did you change to get it to work?

Thanks.
Unread 20th October, 2005, 03:39 PM
Forum Newcomer

Would you plz post what your solution to the problem was. I am having the same problem minus the router. Even the same ISP.

Thanks
Unread 7th January, 2009, 07:43 PM
Killing Spree

video tutorials how to setup dedicated server and how to make maps are on www.adrenalineparty.com under UT2004 should be helpfull
Unread 8th January, 2009, 08:13 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbious View Post
video tutorials how to setup dedicated server and how to make maps are on www.adrenalineparty.com under UT2004 should be helpfull
hehehehehe ........... replying to a 3 year old thread (like me )
Unread 3rd February, 2009, 11:13 PM
Killing Spree

There are video tutorials with attached documentation how to setup server.
go to www.adrenalineparty.com click UT2004 and than tutorials. Enjoy.
Unread 5th March, 2009, 02:03 AM
Killing Spree

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolence View Post
ok, this is my first post, and first, i'd like to say: glad to be a part of the community and I love UT2k4. I would like to set up a listen server using the options in UT2k4 to host a game, so me, my friend, and my gf can play. I haven't been able to get this to work yet in ut2k3 or 2k4.
First you need port forwarding or called virtual server on your xDSL modem and second disable firewall. Firewall does not work becouse it blocks connectings what are coming outside your LAN. Therefore outside of your network ping is not answering and new players cannot log in.

On Windows dedicated server you need to open this ports (UDP/TCP):

10777 UDP
27900 UDP
80 TCP (your remote controlling with browser; change port if needed like 81)
7777-7778 UDP
7787-7788 UDP
28902 TCP
42292 TCP

On UT2004.ini you need to tell that you are behind the NAT:

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
ServerBehindNAT=True
;ServerBehindNAT=False

If enabling the webadminin, tell the right TCP port here:

[UWeb.WebServer]
ListenPort=81

And change the webadmin accessing:

[Engine.GameInfo]
AccessControlClass=XAdmin.AccessControlIni
;AccessControlClass=Engine.AccessControl

Remember to log in and change the admin password!!

More info to hosting server here: http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Category:UT2004

On myself was very important that the server is "standard server" and therefore I use only whitelisted mutators.

One hint. Join yourself to UTAN and install it to your server. We admins are not interesting to give our machines, fast xDSL lines to cheaters and assholers. ;-) The link does not work in this forum, so here is the right URL: http://utan.unrealadmin.org/

AntiTCC 2009 R3 is my last hint. It is the best trying to controll cheaters. You can download it here: http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/download2k4.html. Two lines to your UT2004.ini and you are ready to go:

[Engine.GameEngine]
ServerActors=AntiTCC2009r3.MutAntiTCCFinal
ServerPackages=AntiTCC2009r3

Fine adjustmenting direct from webadmin webpage.
Unread 16th July, 2009, 09:50 PM
Forum Newcomer

I'm back after four years, and was surprised to see this thread on the front page. Needless to say, I'm having problems yet again.

I'm able to host a game with my friend fine. But, we are trying to get him hosting and not having any luck.

He has a Linksys wireless router... WRT54GL I think... and Windstream DSL and modem. Vista 64. He says Windows firewall down and modem firewall down. He has ports forwarded correctly. When I see his server in the UT browser it has N/A ping. When I try to connect by "Open IP" it shows his IP:60919 or some other random port in that range. I tried changing it to :7777, I had him forward the :60919 port, and I had him DMZ. Nothing worked.

UT2004.ini behind NAT is true.

I'm guessing this is the NAT bug. Is there anything else he can try short of buying a new router/modem/isp?

On a side note, I'm not able to connect to my xAdmin page using my external IP. I have it set in my .ini and enter the External IP: Port in web browser and it just times out. I can connect on internal IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfordtim View Post
Would you plz post what your solution to the problem was. I am having the same problem minus the router. Even the same ISP.

Thanks
I know you posted in 2005 so probably won't see this but... I was forwarding my ports to xxx.xxx.xxx.1 when I was actually at xxx.xxx.xxx.100 So, I was basically forwarding ports to the wrong IP.

Last edited by Malevolence : 16th July, 2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Smilies
Unread 17th July, 2009, 04:33 AM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malevolence View Post
He has a Linksys wireless router... WRT54GL I think... and Windstream DSL and modem. Vista 64. He says Windows firewall down and modem firewall down. He has ports forwarded correctly. When I see his server in the UT browser it has N/A ping. When I try to connect by "Open IP" it shows his IP:60919 or some other random port in that range. I tried changing it to :7777, I had him forward the :60919 port, and I had him DMZ. Nothing worked.
One basic problem with Vista is that users install games as Bill Gates want and to Program Files folder. It is wrong style becouse this is special folder and do not allow do "normal" things. So, install dedicated UT2004 server to root or like Games\UT2004 folder. Now you do not need run the game ass Vista admin rights.

This IP seems to be looked at IPv6, not IPv4. And if behind NAT it start either with number 10.x.x.x or 168.x.x.x. NAT is not problem if port forwarding or same thing but other name virtual servers ports are just set to xDSL modem.

Quote:
UT2004.ini behind NAT is true.

I'm guessing this is the NAT bug. Is there anything else he can try short of buying a new router/modem/isp?
NAT is not a bug, it just need to open some TCP and UDP or both same TCP and UDP ports first. Or of course you can disable NAT from your xDSL modem. One thing what seems to be very "normal" with cable modems and its ISP (Internet service providers) is that the NAT is forwarded there and to open ports you need to order static IP. When ordering this, ISP is opening ports too. But this is with cable modem, not xDSL.

Quote:
On a side note, I'm not able to connect to my xAdmin page using my external IP. I have it set in my .ini and enter the External IP: Port in web browser and it just times out. I can connect on internal IP.

I know you posted in 2005 so probably won't see this but... I was forwarding my ports to xxx.xxx.xxx.1 when I was actually at xxx.xxx.xxx.100 So, I was basically forwarding ports to the wrong IP.
With locally you cannot connect admin page or even your server like this. This type means you try go first "out" to Internet and look network address 10.x.x.x or 168.x.x.x, what are allways local network. Therefore to see your own server is to use URL syntax:

"http://localhost:portnumber"
or
"http://machinename:portnumber"
or
"http://10.x.x.x.:portnumber"
or
"http://168.x.x.x:portnumber"

Example:

http://frodo:81

To operating with webadmin interface outside from Internet you need Dynamic DNS (DDNS) and redirection service like http://www.no-ip.com/. There you just give your information and real outside IP, choose your IP address and begin run a little program on server, what poll to no-ip.com and tell other computers what is the real name of LAN server IP.

To work webadmin interface the port number is telling in UT2004.ini section [UWeb.WebServer] and line "ListenPort=". If using default it is number 80. I use port 81 to not blocking servers own web server, what default number is 80.

As my early reply UTAN server can remove, becouse it stop server about 2 month ago. No UTAN anymore. :-(

Here are good start to build own server:

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Server_Setup_(UT2004)

And use Google and words like "UT2004 port forwarding" to read more.

At short: install dedicated UT2004 to Games\UT2004 folder, not in Program Files etc etc. in Vista systems.

And second: open TCP and UDP ports for UT2004 as told. Like UDP port 10777:

UDP start port 10777 end port 10777 local IP 10.0.0.10 or 168.192.0.10

Hope you get idea and your server see on list. Local server do not display on "Internet games" list, becouse it try look list from Internet and LAN is of cource blocking it. Server can see only from LAN games -list - of course.
Unread 28th March, 2010, 11:53 AM
Killing Spree

Thumbs up

Or configure your model and disable all port forwarding rules.
Thats what i did and it made my life so much easier and restrictions free.
I also disabled firewall but that's optional because it easier to add ports exceptions to firewall then to modem caz some modems cant have more then couple of ports to be added to exception list due to little UI space or for some other reasons.
My comcast business modem could have i think 10 exceptions but i needed more because i had more games hosted, so i just dissabled the port forwarding rules at all for true static IP and BAM all problems were GONE