You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 29th February, 2004, 07:16 PM
Killing Spree

Ive read some of the past topics under the search function, and found that being behind a NAT firewall causes problems with internet users not being able to connect..

Ive been able to successfully connect from inside (behind the firewall on the LAN)

I can use the browser and see my server running on the "world server" list (whatever it is that you would call that)

I can see a ping result of under 20.. (Ive read that sometimes its reported as N/A..

Ive tried setting my router to set the server outside the firewall with no protection, (outside the firewall) and I get the same result.. I guess the famous index.ut2 addy, where its sits for 2 minutes and the connection fails.. What steps should I take in working around this problem..

Router being a Linksys BEFSR41 version 2, with 5 other computer on the LAN.. Thank you for you time..
Unread 29th February, 2004, 07:45 PM
Killing Spree

I have unplugged the server from the LAN, and plugged it into the cable modem directly, and got a new IP for the said machine..

Started the server, and I do not see it on the "world list".. As well, I cannot connect to it, entering the IP addy manually.. I have the same problem as before..

Specifically now, the server has its own IP address outside of the LAN/Firewall, and still has internet capabilties.. (searches webpages, etc..)

What other options do I have?
Unread 29th February, 2004, 11:39 PM
Rampage

there is a setting in your server .ini file called BehindNAT. this should be enabled if you are sitting behind network address translation, and disabled if you are not. this could perhaps be a source of your issues?
also do you have any software firewalls on the server system?
Unread 1st March, 2004, 01:23 AM
Killing Spree

No software firewalls, and as mentioned above, Ive read through all the help in the forums with no success..

I guess its just been assumed that its just not possible behind a firewall.. Even if the router with a NAT firewall has DMZ Host capability.. I have tried that as well.. No go.. I guess it will just be a fun thing for here at home, until its fixed..
Unread 1st March, 2004, 03:14 AM
Rampage

seems quite odd. the fact that it doesn't work at all when the server is connected directly to the modem implies that the problem has nothing to do with the router (a self-evident logical implication). if you have no software firewalls enabled, even a vanilla UT2003 installation should work just fine because it has unrestricted access to the WWW. is it possible your installation has somehow gotten damaged? when the server is connected directly to the modem does everything else net-related work? are there, for instance, other web services hosted on the server and do they function properly? also with the server directly connected how do you test the UT2003 functionality? i would assume you get other people you know online at other physical locations to try out your server right?

personally i have never experienced these sorts of issues. i installed UT2003 on my server machine, set up the correct ports, used one of those nice admin GUIs to help write my start-up .bat files, and pow, everything was at it should be. anyone else (like the super-knowledgeable people) wanna chime in on this one>?
Unread 1st March, 2004, 05:29 AM
Killing Spree

I didnt have another reliable person at the time to connect from outside of my house.. My modem support a USB connection simultaneously with the Ethernet connection.. It doles out two seperate IPs..

Hooked up in this fashion, it showed in the "world list" however, still exhibited the same problem.. I will be playing with it some more this evening, and perhaps try one of those fancy GUI front ends for the server.. (remembering this is a dedicated server)

Some of this configuration stuff through the .ini files and command line is kinda confusing for me, however, reading stuff on the web on one machine, and editing on the other, I figured I might be able to get it to work.. Especially with the DMZ Host option..

I'll keep you guys posted on if I become successful.
Unread 1st March, 2004, 05:59 PM
Killing Spree

Progress so far..

The server machine is running WinXP.. I can run the server on the LAN(cable router) and directly to the cable modem simultaneously (ethernet LAN and cable modem USB).. However, anytime I do this, and start the server, it uses the LAN to access the net.. Obviously its a no go..

I unplug it from the LAN, and use only the USB Cable connection, and it works great.. However, we lose its capabilities on the LAN, which is disappointing..

Is there anyway to have windows XP use the USB connection for internet, however, still have the computer useable on the LAN. (Without requesting internet data over the LAN?)

This would be a great solution, if its possible to do..

Any suggestions on how to go about doing this??
Unread 1st March, 2004, 10:33 PM
Godlike

Many serve from behind Linksys routers.

You have mentioned that you set up the router to, how did you put it?... "
Quote:
setting my router to set the server outside the firewall with no protection
...but you haven't said how it was set other than trying the DMZ, which I don't advise.

I've explained this so much, I'm raw typing it. That's not your fault.
[list:ac9ff71986]First, plug the server in behind the firewall on the LAN only.
[list:ac9ff71986]By this I mean make certain that your server PC uses only one active internet connection. If it has more than one active NIC (dialup included) on which TCP/IP is loaded, you must use the MultiHome option (See the forums and tutorials)[/list:u:ac9ff71986]

Disable ICS and ICF on the server.

In this configuration, behind your Linksys firewall, ServerBehindNAT=True must be set in the INI File.

Your server needs to have the following settings in the firewall:
[list:ac9ff71986]1) Forward ports 7777-7787 UDP to your server's LAN address

2) Sometimes 27900 and 27902 UDP are needed in the forwarding list as well

3) Disable uPnP (Universal Plug and Play) support in the firewall

4) Disable the DMZ capability

5) Disable Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) if your firewall has it
[list:ac9ff71986]Note: If your firewall has DHCP enabled, there is no guarentee that it will assign the same IP to your server each time the two are powered up. Some Firewalls have an address reservation feature to deal with this, but Linksys does not. If this gets to be an issue, consider STATIC address assignment for your server's IP. Just assign an address outside the range of the Linksys's DHCP range but still in the subnet, list the Linksys's address in the gateway and DNS server entries on your server. If you can access the internet from your server via internet explorer, then you've done this correctly.[/list:u:ac9ff71986][/list:u:ac9ff71986][/list:u:ac9ff71986]That's it. All else being equal you should be on the air.

Remember to always PLAY your own server on it's LAN address. The firewall probably won't forward packets back to itself correctly enough to play a game on the WAN address. This is no problem for internet bound players.

Let us know how this turns out.
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 07:59 AM
Killing Spree

First I'll start with how I have it setup now.. I own an RCA "something or another" cable modem.. It supports Ethernet and USB connections simultaneously.. It will assign each of those port a different IP address from my ISP..

The server computer I need access to on the LAN.. (It has no video card, monitor, mouse, etc.) I use remote desktop to access and change its behavior.. So, the server computer is now set up with the USB cable modem, and plugged into the router with a NIC. The USB connection netted its own IP address.. With this I tried using the multihome command to bind the server to that IP..

The server continued to use LAN (router) for accessing the net.. Solution.. I borked the machines DNS capability on the LAN.. Specified the server machines IP addy (for its LAN on the router), and gave it straight zeros as DNS.. No more internet on the router, so the machine is forced to get out on the USB connection with a seperate IP address, outside the firewall..

Being that it has an IP on the router, I am still able to map drives on it, and use remote desktop.. Good thing..

With my Linksys BEFSR41 router, I fowarded all the correct ports, and even the suggested (sometimes) ports.. Used the .ini settings for being behind a firewall.. I was left with, I could see it on the "world list" and it had a ping reply, however, it would not connect and load the game.. The connection would timeout.. It would however work just fine logging into it "locally" on the LAN..

After much reading of the NAT bug, I completely believe its there.. You say people have been successful in geting a server working behind the Linksys router, for people outside the LAN.. Ive read all over these forums, and many others, without being successful.. (I figured I should also mention no forms of software firewall is run on the server computer)

The particular server computer has only one NIC, (answering your question, however able to use USB cable modem connection) Multihome function had no effect..

ICS and ICF were never used on the server either.

At that point I figured DMZ host would work.. Did not work.. SPI was diabled (NAT firewall works fine, no need for SPI at this point) uPnP has always been disabled to keep the windows messenger thingy on my wifes computer from screwing with my router settings..

The Linksys does not reserve the IPs for specific machines, however, all the machines here run 24/7 so this has never been an issue.. Reading what you mentioned about the DHCP range of my router, I should look into finding out what its range is.. I'll give that a try later and see if I can keep the server behind the firewall and it be functional as well..

Sorry for the long post, I merely wanted to make sure the "gurus" have all the information they might like to know (to the best of my ability)..
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 10:03 AM
Godlike

Thanks for the long post.

It gives me enough detail to ask some questions that may prove usefull.
[list:e73fe32787]1) Your server for all intents and purposes has 2 NICs (even though one is virtual via USB) It therefore follows that the multihome option would need to be added to work correctly.

2) I'm hoping I got this next one wrong. If your server is directly connected to the internet via the USB port, why forward the router ports at all? If the server is multihomed to the USB WAN address, that is the address to play on. However, if this address isn't on the same subnet as the Linksys WAN address, traffic from a Client on your LAN playing on the server's WAN (USB) address would be sent to your ISP and back, thus consuming the bandwidth of 2 clients on your internet connection. Also, if it's multihomed to the USB/WAN address, it shouldn't be playable via the LAN address at all.

3) If you want to go back to playing on your USB/WAN IP and only use the LAN for sharing / remote control, try assigning the server's LAN address manually (STATIC). Do not give it a default gateway address or enable DNS for that NIC. (Although XP may not be happy with this combination... is it XP Home or Pro BTW?)[/list:u:e73fe32787]
The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to me.

If you want to keep the XP machine behind the router, then disconnect it from the USB. This wouldn't stop you from testing your setup by disconnecting one of your other machines and using it on the USB port exclusively to test the server through the Linksys WAN IP.

I assume the traffic will go thru your modem twice regardless, but for a test this should be acceptable.

If only one NIC is enabled on the server, you won't need the multihome option on the command line, so be sure to remove it. With two NICs, you need to steer it to one or the other if both have TCP/IP on them.

XP with no video adapter.... that's one for my record book. I would not have expected that was even possible. I'd like to hear more about it when you have time.

I'm sorry that some of my comments are kinda knee-jerk. Your configuration puts me in unfamiliar territory.

I realize the Linksys has you frustrated, but I think it's the simplest config to help you with and should prove to be easiest to get going.

If you want to tough it out, I'll continue to try to help you with that one.

Otherwise, I'm in a bit of a quandry how to help with the USB/LAN approach right at the moment. Maybe something will settle out after a good night's sleep.

Let's see what these things trigger, and attack it fresh tomorrow.
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 05:48 PM
Killing Spree

Well.. I tried your above configuration with the router setttings, and the game settings on the server machine.. LAN players can login, Net players cannot..

You asked in your last post about fowarding the ports.. They were only fowarded during testing trying to get the server to work over the LAN.. When the server machine is plugged in via the USB port, the router is no longer fowarding ports to the machine.. Having the server also seen on the LAN as well as the "world list" was a simple setting in the .ini file.. BroadcastLAN=True (it was previously set to false).. It broadcasts itself on the LAN as well..

The server as well is running XP Professional SP1.. The video card in the machine actually does exsist in the machine, it is however disabled, along with most of the other useless devices..

I set it up with both LAN and USB.. (A bit redundant on the same cable modem) I tried the multihome command to point UCC to the IP address supplied by the USB connection.. For whatever reason, it defaulted back to the LAN internet connection, and still did not work.. Then I figured, the machine isnt used as a "surfing" box or anything, I'll just bork its internet from the LAN, and force it to use the USB connection for its internet..

I supplied the machine in the network settings for the LAN its static IP, and disabled its DHCP.. Gateway was set to zeros, and the DNS was set to straight zeros as well.. In doing this, ultimately, the machine cannot really "see" anything that goes on over the LAN.. It cannot see the other machines, etc. (Also no internet).. However, it has its static IP, which I can login to with remote desktop and its still useable.. (The other machines on the LAN can see it).. Anytime I start the server it will broadcast the game over the LAN (with its static IP) and it has a clear connection to the internet as well, over its own IP address given by the cable modem and my ISP..

It worked out quite nicely this way.. I dont worry much about the server machine, (theres nothing important on it, its stripped down, and an OS with Folding@home / UT2K3 server)..

If anyone else has problems getting the game "out" on the internet behind a router, give this a try.. Your cable modem may support such a connection (Ethernet and USB simultaneously)..

This was my work around for a seemingly simple problem.. Perhaps Linksys' next (non-buggy) firmware could help.. Their latest firmware causes random lockups of the router.. Otherwise.. Happy Admining.. Im going to figure out how to add those map packs and such to this thing..
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 07:01 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor
You asked in your last post about fowarding the ports.. They were only fowarded during testing trying to get the server to work over the LAN.. When the server machine is plugged in via the USB port, the router is no longer fowarding ports to the machine
Ok, good that's what I was hoping you'd say. I WAS mistaken.

Quote:
I tried the multihome command to point UCC to the IP address supplied by the USB connection.. For whatever reason, it defaulted back to the LAN internet connection, and still did not work..
This is indicative of an incorrect or ineffective multihome command. You really should work this issue. Have a look at the server log file... there's a line shortly after the beginning of the file that re-states the command line as UCC saw it. Check it to see that your parameters made it through to the app as you intended

Quote:
.. I dont worry much about the server machine, (theres nothing important on it, its stripped down, and an OS with Folding@home / UT2K3 server)..
Uhh... Well I'm concerned for you. It's essentially a back door into your LAN. If you're going to run it this way, at least put up ICF or install some other software firewall for some minimal protection.

Quote:
.. Perhaps Linksys' next (non-buggy) firmware could help.. Their latest firmware causes random lockups of the router.. ..
This too is interesting.... Linksys firmware usually doesn't do this ( hang the router ). Which rev are you using? Maybe we can help by recomending an older rev that does perform better.

I have seen a power supply module failure with one that only showed up when all the LAN ports were in use at once. It's symptom was "unexplained Restarts" and "hangs" of the router. Fortunately it died completely which is how we figured it out.

Lastly, is there any way you could put up a snapshot of your router's IP forwarding page (as it was set to allow the server to pass thru), maybe we can spot something that we're missing in these posts.

Other than this, I can't think what else might be happening. This is only the second out and out Linksys failure for me if we can't make it work. ( My first was Linksys PPPoE on the WAN connection, but it didn't effect the server, only the client on it's LAN side)

Other things we could try:
[list:7db07c3147]Maybe we could look over a server log when it's failing to pass the the Linksys? Since the advertising isn't even succeeding, the problem should show up there.

You could also enable the Linksys router's log file while making the attempt... that would give us even more to look at.

It might be a little hard to coordinate, but it would also help if we could attempt to connect to the server ourselves.[/list:u:7db07c3147]

We'll work it as long as you have the patience to continue.
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 08:52 PM
Killing Spree

Right now its setup and running on the USB connection.. 24.20.243.141

No password right now, for testing purposes.. The server is named Rage3D testing, and is currently listed on the master server.. I have to head out to work right now.. I will be back at 10:30 pacific time PM..

edit : I'll take some screen shots of the router settings and my logfiles when I return from work
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 09:02 PM
Killing Spree

Scratch that.. It wont be running this afternoon.. I will try later tonight..
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 09:25 PM
Godlike

Right... Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to be ready.
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 09:54 PM
Rampage

what the hell does bork mean?
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 10:31 PM
Godlike

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bork

I especially like the one about the bathtub...

GL HF
|LCN|DeadMeat
--
What the hell is GL HF?
Unread 2nd March, 2004, 11:35 PM
Godlike

Thank you all, for this is invaluable information....

Not the meaning of BORK, but the fact that web dictionary exists to discover the meaning of such terms.

:notworthy:

(I always thought it was Good Luck and Have Fun)
Unread 3rd March, 2004, 07:05 AM
Killing Spree

This is a screenie of my port foward at the current time

I tried again, to connect to the server through only the LAN.. Still no go.. Its listed as Rage3D testing on the master server at this moment.. The gateway and DNS settings are set on the server to the routers home address.. It goes have a ping reply (Ive read here, that some people see their servers as N/A)
Unread 3rd March, 2004, 07:18 AM
Killing Spree

The firmware version is also 1.44.2z.. I think the newest is 1.45.7

There are not many new features in the newer firmware.. It just locks up the router every few days, and requires being powered down and restarted.. Its quite annoying.. Sticking with the older firmware, its rock solid.. Ive tried the newer firmware for a test, and still yet, no go..

Im thinking perhaps a software firewall would have to suffice for a while.. Unless a solution crops up.. Im going to keep playing with some settings..