You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 9th February, 2004, 11:43 AM
Forum Newcomer

I am having the same "LAN ok Internet not" issue and have spent the entire weekend installing/reinstalling/uninstalling/changing port forwarding/enabling ports/etc. etc.

I have got it right down to UDP packets being received by the dedicated server on port 7777 and a return being sent, but no connections being made. (Using Ethereal packet sniffer).

Server runs fine on internal IP but even I cannot connect using external IP. The console displays the attempt to connect but then disconnects after the timeout period (changed to 30secs).

So I am thinking, it must be something to do with the server, or an ini setting, or something like that.

If I run the server and the client (i.e. not dedicated), using the same Modem/router settings, everything is fine.

So there I am tearing my hair out...what's left of it...and then lo and behold 'Bob' (whoever he is) connects to my server from the internet, plays for a while and then b*ggers off before I can s/w him to find out how he did it....then a couple of hours later 'Pym' gets on and then disappears in the same way...

Modem = Origo ASR-8400
Router = Linksys WRT54g
OS = Windows XP

All ports open and no firewalls on.

Any idea what to try next would be helpful.
Unread 9th February, 2004, 05:54 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdog
Any idea what to try next would be helpful.
Post your server's public IP / Name and let the unrealadmin.org crew have a go at it.

They'll give you feedback.
Unread 9th February, 2004, 10:35 PM
Forum Newcomer

Right...

The console shows that I get good connection with the Master Servers, I get a Match Id, and I am listed, but no ping N/A

IP is 212.158.207.96 Port is 7777

I have opened 7777-7789, 10777, 11777 UDP and 28902, 27900 TCP on the Origo ASR-8400 which I flashed today with the new firmware (still no fun) and port forward on the router (Linksys) on all these ports to the server.

I can connect on 192.168.1.103 but not on the above...just black screen with the address until time out.

I have tried linking in the box as the DMZ on modem/router on 10.0.0.13 but then i get the same result. Inside Ok, Outside nothing.

This is really driving me mad. Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Unread 9th February, 2004, 10:36 PM
Forum Newcomer

Sorry, name is "The Watertower"...
Unread 9th February, 2004, 11:39 PM
Godlike

Hi BeerDog,

I have used many Linksys firewalls over the years and served the game thru several of them.

A few notes I'll pass along.[list:03e93ba653]
Ususally the only ports that need to be open for advertising to work is 7777-7787 UDP. The rest will take care of themselves on a Linkie.

On many firewalls, including some of the Linksys ones, you cannot play from behind the Firewall (LAN side) on the WAN address of the same Firewall. Technically it should work, but quite often does not. Not for Pings, not for play. To test your server, the best thing is to do it from an IP other than the that of your Firewall's WAN. I.E. A dialup account, or an additional IP provided by your ISP. Either of these will tell you the truth. Also, they are more likely to show you any port filtering that your Server's ISP is doing.[/list:u:03e93ba653]Finally, there are issues with the Linksys BEFSR41 of various firmware:[list:03e93ba653]
The most recent version, 1.45.7, was found to induce Forged Object errors on UT clients playing LAN->WAN thru them when the WAN connection used PPPoE. They also had issues with SSL connections.

'Firmware 1.42.6 March 11, 2002 induced the same UT Client errors, but did not have the SSL issue, but again only when PPPoE was in use on the WAN port.

The conclusion is that while this Linksys router was satisfactory for other types of WAN connections, the PPPoE implementation at this time leaves something to be desired.[/list:u:03e93ba653]These issues have not been widely reported and may occur with only a few ISPs.

The bottom line is that your server may actually be working as it is.
So, don't bash your head in too much till it's been checked out.
Unread 10th February, 2004, 07:31 AM
Forum Newcomer

Thanks 50BMG but maybe I should give you more info as it appears that the above, whilst helpful, does not directly address the issue I'm having...

Outside IP 212.158.207.96

ADSL Modem/Router (Origo ASR-8400) with DMZ Disabled, Virtual Server Ports forwarding all the necessary ports to 10.0.0.6 and Dynamic NAPT enabled (default) and latest firmware from website.

Inside IP 10.0.0.2

Outside IP 10.0.0.6

Linksys WRT54G with all relevant ports forwarded to 192.168.1.103 (original firmware)

Inside 192.168.1.101

Server 192.168.1.103
Client 192.168.1.102

Using 192.168.1.103 Game plays fine.
Using 212.158.207.96 No access. As the server is being advertised correctly (although no ping), several people try to access and I can see their attempts in the console. Unfortunately they time out.

I have tried :

Connecting the server directly to the asr-8400 (10.0.0.13) and then assigning the ports to this address - no go external but fine by address
Connecting the server directly to the asr-8400 (10.0.0.13) and then setting DMZ to 10.0.0.13 - no go external but fine by address
Changing the NAT on the asr-8400 to be NAPT and NAT as well as Dynamic NAPT - no go except with Dynamic NAPT

I am pretty much ready to give up. But if you can think of anything I haven't tried I'm willing to try anything, if you need any further information, like .ini file settings let me know. I have followed the posts in this group and others to set up my ini file, with ServerBehindNat = true etc.

I am at my wits end...any help would be great.

Unread 10th February, 2004, 09:09 AM
Forum Newcomer

I got to work...and one of my colleagues has told me that he was playing on my server last night

At 7.30 and at 9.00, now I need to find out what I was doing at those times....

You may well be right, it may be that the server is working after all.. the guys here are going to give it a go tonight.

Thanks again.

Unread 10th February, 2004, 11:08 AM
Godlike

Rather than comment further, I'll wait to hear if you've got it.

If you still have issues, please re-state the setup we're to discuss.

I want to keep my understanding current with where you're at.
Unread 13th February, 2004, 09:19 PM
Forum Newcomer

I've having the same problem.

I have a Linksys router as well. I've tried almost everything I can think of.

First of all, I can see the server in INTERNET. It's listed there and not in LAN. I've added it to favorites as well, and I can ping it. It shows the proper public ip as shown here:

I've tried setting the server computer on the DMZ only. I've also tried taking it off the DMZ and just using port forwarding. I've even tried putting it on the DMZ and using port forwarding. I've configured zone alarm, and reconfigured, and even uninstalled it.

I can't connect to it using the public IP that is listed in the screenshot, however I CAN connect using the internal IP just fine.

The problem is, other people can't connect.

I am losing my mind.
Unread 13th February, 2004, 11:29 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by indesin
...I am losing my mind.

Sorry.... been there .... done that..... got the pin.

First, it gets really confusing for me when a thread like this gets so long. I get to the point where I can't separate one post's setup and problem from another because eveyone has SOME common points, but I don't always know which.

At this point, I'm not even sure what I've written here or elsewhere, so forgive me if I start over a bit.

There aren't many routers that handle the following situation correctly:[list:755ee0c8b4]
1) Server "A" is behind a router, advertised to the internet.
2) Client "B" is attached to the LAN server is "A" is on (behind the same router)[/list:u:755ee0c8b4]
In this situation, it is quite common for Client "B" to "See" Server "A" advertised in the browser list of the game, and sometimes even be able to ping it.

However, it is quite unusual for Client "B" to be able to actually PLAY a game on Server "A" using server "A" PUBLIC IP.

It is usually possible, and most desireable, for Client "B" to PLAY on Server "A" using server "A's" LAN IP.

There are many reasons for this, but it's generally true for most routers, not just Linksys.

As to the actual setup, I've written this many times in several posts on this forum, but here it is again:[list:755ee0c8b4]
1) I've never been happy with UT servers on Linksys routers using the "DMZ" mechanism.

2) There ARE issues when more than 8 players are passed thru SOME models of Linksys routers, but most will do the 8 just fine.

3) It is sometimes necessary to make certain alterations to defaults when running behind a Linksys, particularly the use of DHCP on the game server. The best setup, both performance and convienience wise, is to run the server with a STATIC LAN IP, outside the DHCP range of the Linksys.
[list:755ee0c8b4]I.E. - Linksys DHCP is set to assign 50 addresses, starting at 192.168.0.100.

Server is set to a static IP of 192.168.0.170, a "Gateway" of 192.168.0.1 (The Linksys) and to use the Linksys as a DNS server. (This DNS relay doesn't work for all ISPs so you may need to manually include the ISP's DNS servers if relaying doesn't work)

By removing the Server from DHCP, the Linksys handles the traffic more efficiently, and the Forwarding won't need to be re-assigned if the LAN happens to power up in a different sequense causing IP addresses to be assigned differently then when the Forwarding was defined.[/list:u:755ee0c8b4]
4) The use of the Linksys LOG feature needs to be discouraged most of the time. Having this enabled while serving a game causes a significant quantity of extra work and traffic that WILL interfere with the Linksys's ability to serve the game packets in a timely manner.[/list:u:755ee0c8b4]

Ports to Forward:[list:755ee0c8b4]
If your server is operating at "Standard" settings
[list:755ee0c8b4]7777-7787 UDP (BOTH TCP and UDP seem more efficient)[/list:u:755ee0c8b4]
If you want to remote admin the Server, and It's admin port is set to 8080:
[list:755ee0c8b4]8080 TCP [list:755ee0c8b4]Note: different versions of UT may need additional INI settings for this to work. I.E. UT G.O.T.Y needs the ServerName=xx.xx.xx.xx set where xx is the PUBLIC IP of the server.[/list:u:755ee0c8b4][/list:u:755ee0c8b4]
Many routers will require the ports for connecting to the Master servers to be forwarded, but I've never had to do this with a Linkie yet.[/list:u:755ee0c8b4]

I hope that's been helpfull, and that I haven't left anything out.

If you have a Firewalled setup like one above, the best way to tell if your UT server is working, is to take another machine, not on your LAN and connect to the internet by some independant means (I.E. - via DIALUP) and look for your server on the Master List. If it's there, try connecting using that entry.

Lastly, there is a bug in UT2K3 called the "NAT BUG" which prevents some servers from working behind routers employing Network Address Translation (NAT).

I have not seen a Linksys fall prey to this myself, but if you have done all the above correctly and it still doesn't work, you may be the first.

P.S. - If you'd like, send us some screenshots of your Linksys's settings(Particularly Forwarding ) and we'll look em over. Include the DHCP tab and the DHCP client table, and the "Status" pages for real scrutiny.
Unread 18th February, 2004, 02:02 PM
Killing Spree

50BMG & Beerdog good suggestions & take your points. Cheers for the pointers unfortunately me still have probs and as you say post is huge now.

Beerdog maybe we can try and help each other with testing each others server.

I usually idle in quakenet irc -KMA- and my MSN is [email address]. So look me up or add me to your buddies on MSN and we could try to fix and post our solutions here for others.

Unread 18th February, 2004, 08:45 AM
Forum Newcomer

I'm happy to help if i can, however my server now works sufficiently for my needs. It can be accessed via the IP, so the group of friends here at work can all get in, and that was the purpose for it. I have to use the internal IP when I am on the LAN at home, but that is no biggie.

Therefore I am quite happy and do not want to change anything at the mo.

I am happy to test your server if you send me your IP, I'll add you to my Messenger and get it from there.

Unread 19th February, 2004, 02:33 PM
Forum Newcomer

If you have your server running behind NAT=True, in order to see it outside you have to add a line to the to the little [UWeb.WebServer] ditty.
Add ServerName=x.x.x.x <-----Your External/Net IP
I learned that from the tutorials :thumbsup:
Unread 24th February, 2004, 06:50 AM
Killing Spree

Chers I'll give this ago.
Suppose this is a real pain with dynamic IP! (Yup thts me included!)
Unread 6th March, 2004, 11:05 PM
Forum Newcomer

Look Guys if you have a router setup with a LAN connection (2 or more computer) you will not be able to log in to the game accept. via LAN connection unless you go to a computer that is not connect to your Lan and connects to the internet directly. So Quit trying to test the connection your self. Install the Server only Ver of the software and start a game and go to a friends house and install the game then try and connect. I promise that it will work just fine as long as the Nat setting in the system/ut2003.ini are set to true and you have the ports open. the Nat chokes when you try to log on the epic server. took me some time to figure that out. but my buddy can log on just fine, but i cant go thought epic but i can login via Lan connection.

K.I.S.S.
Unread 7th March, 2004, 01:26 AM
Rampage

i'm afraid this last post is only partly correct. i personally have a 4 machine LAN. 2 of my machines function as game clients and one as a game server. i have successfully logged into a UT2003 game hosted by my server via my public IP address from both of my client machines simultaneously. i am currently using a Toshiba PCX2200 cable modem and a Netgear RP614v2 using firmware 5.14 RC8. this implies that your assertion only applies to certain hardware configurations and not ALL configurations.
Unread 7th March, 2004, 08:04 AM
Holy Shit!!

SleepyP, are your computers behind NAT?

OutLaw_Alfs statement concerns NATed networks and I would suspect the number of NAT routers that can deal with this situation gracefully is woefully close to zero.
Unread 7th March, 2004, 01:18 PM
Rampage

i am fairly certain the Netgear RP614v2 has an NAT table capable of supporting (according to their service techs) 255 total connections simultaneously. i know that this router has a dedicated WAN port and 4 LAN ports and that it serves as a DHCP server which dynamically assigns IP addresses to machines on the LAN per MAC address. i'm not sure how else this router would allow my 4 machines with private (127.168.x.x) IPs to all share the same public IP address...
Unread 7th March, 2004, 03:01 PM
Holy Shit!!

Ok, not saying you're wrong. Just that this is a very rare feature in a SOHO router. For the overwhelming majority of the cases the statement applies: Do not try to conect to you're public IP from a NATed network, it won't work.
Unread 7th March, 2004, 04:40 PM
Rampage

why not?