You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 22nd March, 2004, 09:51 PM
Killing Spree

Running UT2004 Dedicated Server. Everything ready, even opened ports 80, 3532, 7700-7788, 27900 under Port Triggering. Users can locate me while I'm playing in the server, but can't join because server pinged as N/A. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
Unread 23rd March, 2004, 12:23 AM
Godlike

Are these UDP, TCP or BOTH?

Triggering is interesting... triggered on what (port)?
[list:798e7e5028]Can you outline the setup please?

I've often considered using port triggering but never took the time to work it out. Please teach![/list:u:798e7e5028]

Incidently, UT2k4 uses 28902 TCP too. Most firewalls don't need any special setting for this because of how the game uses it, but yours might be an exception.

See http://www.unrealadmin.org/modules.p...ht=13840#13840 for a post with a sniffer trace of this process in action.
Unread 23rd March, 2004, 12:56 PM
Dominating

Have you got ServerBehindNAT=True in your ini file?

Just for reference, all I have are ports 7777 and 7787 UDP and TCP (dunno if I need both) and noone has problems connecting to me - although, not sure if they browse to my server or enter the IP directly. Regardless, that's how I had (have when it's up) my UT2003 server set up, and that shows up in the browser for sure.

Hope this helps.
Unread 23rd March, 2004, 08:19 PM
Killing Spree

50BMG-

This is the link I was given. It gives a breif overlook of Port Triggering, which is apperently more secure than Port Forwarding.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1154785,00.asp

It's near the bottom of the page.
Unread 23rd March, 2004, 08:33 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRoll
It gives a breif overlook of Port Triggering, which is apperently more secure than Port Forwarding...
The idea of triggering is that unless the server app is actually running, the Firewall closes the ports. Unlike simple port forwarding, which will pass the traffic thru the firewall whenever the external port is used.

I hadn's seen an example before.

Many thanks.
Unread 23rd March, 2004, 10:08 PM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRoll
Running UT2004 Dedicated Server. Everything ready, even opened ports 80, 3532, 7700-7788, 27900 under Port Triggering. Users can locate me while I'm playing in the server, but can't join because server pinged as N/A. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
hmm.... seems they could host a server with triggering...

maybe doubel-check the ports& protocols?
Unread 23rd March, 2004, 10:18 PM
Killing Spree

50BMG-

Port Triggering Setup looks something like this:

Application Name_____Trigger Port Range____Incoming Port Range

xxx_________________80~80______________80~80
xxx_________________7700~7900__________7700~7900
xxx_________________3532~3532__________3532~3532
xxx_________________27000~29000________27000~29000

*doesn't list whether they are UDP or TCP. Should I set it up any differently?
I'm currently running the server as a service on FireDaemon Lite, WITHOUT the retail game installed.
Sometimes it lists the server on the Web Server, sometimes it doesn't. I've even tried running it with the Software Firewall disabled. Still doesn't show up. I can join, and users can see me playing in the server from their buddy list, but can't join.
Unread 24th March, 2004, 12:13 PM
Forum Newcomer

It seems that if a computer is connected through a LAN of any type with the server, the server will only allow them to connect over the LAN. I was going nuts over the past few days attempting to get my server up and running. I would see my ping on the "Internet" servers list as N/A, and would sit there staring at the black connecting screen showing my IP.
Aparently, my server has been up and running the whole time. I have my home network set up like this: Cable Modem->Server->Other PC's
From any of my other PC's the server browser will not show a ping time, and will not connect through the "Internet" server list, but can connect over the LAN. After being frustrated with trying to get the server up and running, I just set the server to run some bots. I connected through the LAN, and started playing against them. After about a minute, I go to check my score, and I see 3 other actual people connected to my server from over the internet.

Hope this helps you.
Unread 25th March, 2004, 04:00 PM
Killing Spree

Ghengis-

Same situation... server shows on LAN, I can connect and play, and server shows on Web Browser as N/A.
BUT----users cannot connect to my server.

I've already had someone try to connect from the Web Browser from an outside computer (outside network), and he told me he couldn't even find the server on the Browser. Also said he couldn't connect using Favorites, Add IP either.
Unread 29th March, 2004, 03:13 PM
Killing Spree

Where are you getting port 3532 from, out of curiosity? I don't use that port with my config at all, and have no problems having people play on my server.
Unread 29th March, 2004, 04:09 PM
Killing Spree

Not entirely sure why port 3532 was originally opened, but it was showing as connecting on that port somewhere in the UCC. It doesn't show anymore. I just don't get it. I can access the server from the LAN, and in the UT2004.ini I have ServerBehindNAT=True. Everything is set up properly, according to the server tutorials and FireDaemon tutorial. I can access the Web Admin Interface for the server. THIS SUCKS! I feel like killing my computer until it is dead. hehe
Unread 29th March, 2004, 05:08 PM
Forum Newcomer

SAME PROBLEM! :angry: My server work perfectly in the LAN and I think that there aren't no problem with internet also. But it is always N/A in the list. Adding it to favorites and force the connection I can play perfectly from remote.

My configuration:

USR Sureconnect ADSL with the last firmware

UT2004 on Windows Server 2003 (but it is the same with XP on another PC)

Ports natted: from 7777 to 7788 UDP (tried Both)
27900 to 27902 Both TCP and UDP
28900 to 28902 Both TCP and UDP

Default configuration Only added "ServerBehindNAT=True" in the .ini

I have tried to sniff the network. I see much of those strange events:

32 5.990234 U.S. RD29CCB LOCAL UDP Src Port: Unknown (63168); Dst Port: Unknown (7777); Length = 13 (0xD) 24.9.224.23 SERVER IP
..... .......
IP: Source Address = 24.9.224.23
IP: Destination Address = 192.168.0.100
UDP: Src Port: Unknown (63168); Dst Port: Unknown (7777); Length = 13 (0xD)

This is very strange for me, but I have a poor experience with the sniffer. I have tried with the shield test on www.grc.com. The port 7777 is closed.
(Removing the router NAT become STEALTH)

I have changed PC, router and Unreal Tournament (was the 2003). Should I to change the Administrator now? :p

Please, anyone can tests my server at address 81.74.18.162 or search VINIX on Onslaught?

Thank You

Vinix
Unread 30th March, 2004, 02:31 PM
Killing Spree

Now all of you keep this fact in mind: You may not actually be able to 'test' or see your game yourself because of a NAT bug somewhere with the interaction between UT and whatever NAT you're using. I get the same symptoms when I just to see my server on the 'net - for ME, it's unable to ping itself and shows up N/A. However, anybody else sees it normally and have no problems joining it.

Not everybody is so lucky, however. A lot of times it depends on what brand of router you're using even. Personally, I have an internal cable modem and I use a computer as the router, running nothing more than WinXP Pro. I've seen mention of certain brands of routers giving fits with UT, while others work just fine. You'll need to brouse though some of the older forum posts to get an idea if you may have an 'evil' router, or simply a misguided one

If you haven't already, read the tutorials - essentially all of the info is here.
Unread 1st April, 2004, 01:30 PM
Forum Newcomer

I have opened up all neccesary ports , edited the ini file and still comes up as N/A , outside people cannot access it. I Have a Belkin 4 port router.

When going to open IP fromthe browser list it lists my IP with port 51679... now shouldnt that be the defualt 7777 , this could be the main problem that it is communicating the wrong port.
Unread 2nd April, 2004, 01:38 AM
Killing Spree

I have recently found an interesting fact about my router. Under Port Forwarding, the only way for this feature to be used is if the DHCP is disabled. The way my router is configured, the only way for me to network my computers is to have this DHCP feature enabled. This, as you can understand, creates somewhat of a conflict. I can't find any information on the Network Everywhere website that allows me to reconfigure the router to disable the DHCP and still access the internet from the networked computers. Has anyone run into this or any other type of problem like it I'm not sure how to get to a forum for my specific router, or brand.
Unread 2nd April, 2004, 07:19 AM
Forum Newcomer

You can always disable the DHCP in the router. You must simply reconfigure the tcp connection in each pc with a static IP.

Eg:

Your router IP: 192.168.0.100

TCP Connection on PC1

IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.100
DNS: 151.99.125.2
151.99.125.3 (place here any internet DNS servers)
Unread 2nd April, 2004, 10:27 AM
Forum Newcomer

I really dont think its a port problem I am having though, I recently tried a program called Port Magic which when servers request to open ports it automatically configures your router for you..

I had some trouble launching a Ravenshield server in the past, but using port magic all the hassle was out of my hand and it did it for me.

SO I Tried it wth UT2004 , it opens up all the ports you would expect..
7777,7778,7787,7788,80,10777,17177,28902 all in the correct type UDP/TCP

But ping still shows up as N/A in browser...
The only line I changed in the ini file was the ServerBehindNAT=True
Unread 4th April, 2004, 12:34 PM
Killing Spree

I can't give specific help on that, but with my own system configurations I don't use the DHCP function of WinXP, but they're still enabled..

Under WinXP you specify those TPC/IP setting under the properties of your Local Area Connection > TCP/IP

So, set up a specific IP address (you may want to make a list for each computer so you can keep things straight), then for the Subnet mask it should be 255.255.255.0 (but you'll need to check your router to make sure - some routers use a different subnet), and then the default Gateway will be the internal IP address of your router (I use 192.168.0.1, but I know many Linksys routers use 192.168.1.1 - again, check your router for it's IP). Then finally, under the "Obtain DNS Server adress automatically" specifiy a statis DNS server - which again should be the IP of your router.

This should theoretically allow you to now disable DHCP on your router yet still be able to access the network. Whether this will work will depend on how tempermental your equipment is, but it's the setup I use.
Unread 9th April, 2004, 04:12 PM
Forum Newcomer

There is a major issue with running a dedicated server behind a nat-firewall.

Assume You run a deciated server on port 7777 behind a nat firewall.

Even if all needed ports are configured properly, master server will replace the original port (7777) with some high port on startup.

Connections to Your dedicated server on the original port 7777 will work perfectly well. Players can join, play, vote.

But the masterserver will list Your server with proper address and wrong port (somewhere above 51000)

By using tcpdump I saw the proper port in the packets to the master server in cleartext ascii during communication.

So in my opinion its a bug in the masterserver software, and they should fix this asap.

See also: http://www.gameadmins.com/modules.ph...e&pid=3 4
Unread 14th April, 2004, 05:08 AM
Forum Newcomer

Try Dlink routers they are very flexiable and give you full control you can put your server in the DMZ to test it then move the server out of it it also has a static DHCP server so your server acn remain the same and the clients on your network can be dynamic