You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > Wormbos Area > General Chat

Unread 31st January, 2009, 08:43 PM
Holy Shit!!

Default UT3 server connection management

Hello Wormbo ,
Good to see you are still around. Much respect and thanks for all your devoted work. You are one of the few in the UT universe that I trust and respect.
It's been a while since I ran a fair play server....I gave up admin work with UT2004 ...due to many of the same reasons that you have previously mentioned.

I'm hoping to find a way to limit proxied and/or multiple same ip connections to a UT3 server. Im not sure if you may recall my research into d3d hooks and their multiple connection related "lag" of first person view. The multi connecting was observable with the UT04 command " inject userflag 1" while on a server. Every time a banned file was caught...the offender would toggle extra connection(s). No ping creep bug excuses here as that was patched looong ago.

I noticed that the UT3 tcpip engine no longer has the MaxConnectionsPerIPPerMinute setting as an option....which..amazingly...reduced the effect of offenders on first person view....confounded a lot of them and made many real players smile. I would prefer to limit connections to confirmed active player ips...only those that click in to server. Since we don't have connection limits written into ut3, it appears that at this point, I either have to find a clever coder to perhaps write a little webadmin add-on or use external apps to control connections to a server. Is an encrypted vpn server of any benefit for such connection/port control?

I would immensely value and appreciate it of you could spare a few moments to guide me in the right direction.
If I could limit connections efficiently on a ut3 server...I might regain some faith in online UT again...and as such return the goodwill by offering one/some clean, fairplay oriented server(s) with active non partisan admins.

Sincerely,

[Sine Deceptii]JunGLe

I must figure out how to remove the old clan tag from my account name here one day I don't clan or pug anymore..especially without an A/C in UT3.

Last edited by [=Ani=]Jungle : 31st January, 2009 at 08:57 PM.
Unread 13th February, 2009, 06:39 AM
out of order

Sounds like a good time to ask Epic to implement a countermeasure in their next patch. It will break network compatibility, so clients are forced to upgrade.

Sorry about the short answer, but I'm not into UT3 anti-cheat development and don't plan on changing that.
Unread 14th February, 2009, 05:54 PM
Holy Shit!!

Perhaps I could trouble you for some advice on how to best secure a server's ports. The main goal in my mission here is to learn how to best mimimize the backdoor client connection spam that lags out client after client...with the currently available toolset ( server router/firewall/vpn tunnels/ security apps./possibly a script that more experienced admins may have come up with)

My daydreaming has led me to wonder about the possibilty of a vpn encrypted server tunnel...though once someone has the password...other extra connections will have that password if originating from the player with a pass. However a per ip address password algorythm is intriguing.

Considering that at this point in time, a server has to be set up to accept unsolicited external connections.... I dont see a traditional firewall scenario working in blocking the extra connections.

So wormbo? What steps can an earnest, sincere admin do to keep players from using multiple connections for their hooks and spam connections?
No coding required on your part ( or expected with your busy schedule ) ...just some advice on what would work best, and/or who to speak to in further detail to plan out a best defense against spam client connections.

Point me in the right direction..I will use my own two feet to get there
Unread 14th February, 2009, 06:50 PM
out of order

Sorry, I really have no idea about this stuff. I read somewhere that you could define special iptables rules or something. Really, no idea. I'm a coder, no server/network admin.
Unread 20th February, 2009, 10:45 AM
Holy Shit!!

I should wait with coding because Epic is working on there latest patch
Fun-Dump.com 5k uniques daily
Phunneyshit.net 2k uniques daily
Trash n Babes 1,5k uniques daily
Babe-Dumper 1,5k uniques daily <New Site