You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 3rd September, 2005, 04:48 AM
Rampage

Default need help setting up redirect to my own server

im trying to redirect to myself so i can upload ppl compressed files. im pretty newb at servers, etc. from what i've read you have to have http in order to do this, and it can be done with iis or apache I could be way off, because i dont understand much of that, i just read it somewhere. I've seen some screen shots of how to make a new website in iss and have tried it but i dont see anything when i test http:/12.34.567.890/ {my correct ip}.

Im running a remote server with windows 2003.

Seems if i erase the redirect part of the .ini and set allowdownloads=true, it will send the un-compressed file at a really slow pace because the netspeed is limiting it. so thats why im trying to redirect with usecompression=true.

all im trying to do is send UTComp 1.6a compressed from my own server to other people who join. help!!!
Unread 3rd September, 2005, 08:50 AM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Im running a remote server with windows 2003.
HTTP Server
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/
Compression
http://downloads.unrealadmin.org/UT2004/Tools/TinyUZ2/

Server.ini
Code:
[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://host.domain.tld/folder
UseCompression=True
Quote:
all im trying to do is send UTComp 1.6a compressed from my own server to other people who join. help
You could use a public redirection service, but then you can't control the uptime then.
Unread 3rd September, 2005, 12:59 PM
Holy Shit!!

A redirect server is nothing more than a web server which is hosting the files you want redirected.

You're on server2003, yes? First, ensure you're patched and updated to the max. Then, if IIS isn't already running, fire that puppy up. Create a virtual website and ftp on your server that point to the same folder. (so your trusted subadmins can upload redirect stuff too)

Compress the content with the tool above and upload it to your website. Edit the ut server's ini to point to your redirect and you're done.

edit- in his server.ini example above, that won't work. He forgot the trailing slash. If that's a valid redirect url, it should read:
Code:
[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://host.domain.tld/folder/<-- trailing slash is required!!
UseCompression=True

Last edited by Imaginos : 3rd September, 2005 at 01:02 PM.
Unread 3rd September, 2005, 07:06 PM
Rampage

I've gotten redirect to work at a public server but it didn't last long before it went down. I downloaded that apache xmapp in the link above. I couldn't figure it out. I don't know anything about servers at all. Someone sent me a link to this http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/iis5/ i think this is the way you set up a web server with iis (old version). I'm worried about hackers getting in to this thing. But anyways i can't get the iis web server to work. The wizard makes me think i'm making a crude "directory listing" looking type of website, by picking a folder on the server more or less. Says to test it by http://12.34.567.890/ {whatever ip is} to see if its working. I'm not sure if this is like a "local" website, or something you could get to on the net. I see a window asking for user name and password if I use the servers browser, I get nothing from my home(404) computer. None the less, I was wondering if someone could hand-hold me thru this iis thingy, just enuff to redirect utcomp, without creating a website that will be hacked easily.
Unread 3rd September, 2005, 07:18 PM
Rampage

at the end of the iis create new web site wizard, i just noticed it says "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". ive tried putting the uz2's in a desktop folder it still says that.

edit.....when i shut down the game server the error goes and i can hit the "play button" and start it. but i can't see anything different when i put the ip in the server's net browser.

Last edited by HydroShok : 3rd September, 2005 at 07:27 PM.
Unread 3rd September, 2005, 07:33 PM
Holy Shit!!

One thing to note, if you are hosting both UT and the webserver on the same box, ensure that UT uses a non-standard port to listen for webadmin requests. Port 80 would be for your redirect site.
Unread 3rd September, 2005, 07:45 PM
Rampage

if i open iis-right click web servers-new web site-do the wizard thingy- shouldn't i be able to see something when i put my ip in the IE browser
Unread 4th September, 2005, 01:48 AM
Holy Shit!!

Normally, yes. The wizard usually leaves a placeholder html file there to display. It's not coming up for ya?
Unread 4th September, 2005, 02:33 AM
Rampage

well im sorta confused....does iis make an internet website....or just some local "intranet" server.....i dunno...

if i go thru the wizard, says successfull, stop the default web site, make sure new ones running. click on internet explorer type in http://12.34.567.890:80/ {i used the right one trust me}. It'll ask for a password. I put in my primary account (not admin) it lets me in and I see a rough looking directory, sorta like colleges have every time.

I think I need to get where it doesn't ask for password etc

at one point i got the default web site to show the "under construction page".

can just use an ip and port in the wizard or do i have make a domain name too?

Last edited by HydroShok : 4th September, 2005 at 02:39 AM.
Unread 4th September, 2005, 02:41 AM
Holy Shit!!

IIS makes a site. The IP you assign to it (or forward to it) is what makes it internet or intranet.
You are correct, it needs to be set so authentication is off.. no passwords.
Unread 4th September, 2005, 03:15 AM
Rampage

does the ip to the new site have to different than the ip to the server?

where exactly do i disable the authentication passwords...
Unread 4th September, 2005, 04:15 AM
Holy Shit!!

The redirect host IP can be the same as your UT server, but if you're running multiple websites, that will lead to a conflict.
Unread 4th September, 2005, 04:16 AM
Holy Shit!!

The redirect host IP can be the same as your UT server, but if you're running multiple websites, that will lead to a conflict.
For authentication, it's somewhere in the properties of the website.. allow anon access.
Unread 4th September, 2005, 04:28 AM
Rampage

should i use guest account, its disabled by default for the athen..

if im running just this web server for redirect, and ut ded. server. can i still use same ip for both?
Unread 4th September, 2005, 04:08 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroShok
if im running just this web server for redirect, and ut ded. server. can i still use same ip for both?
YES

Also, if you're running a IIS server, you BETTER make damn sure you are patched to the MAX.
Unread 4th September, 2005, 05:14 PM
Dominating

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttpirate
Also, if you're running a IIS server, you BETTER make damn sure you are patched to the MAX.
That note applies to ANY web server, not just to IIS in particular or IIS to a greater extent than others.
Unread 4th September, 2005, 06:45 PM
Rampage

thing is, that i can't get to the point where i am running an iis web server, I think serverbeach has set up my server with a bunch of high security settings. IOW its not a totally default windows server 2003 install, so tutorials I find are making assumptions that ain't true in my case.

Yall are starting to make me nervous. Maybe this is why i don't find too many forums with unreal admins looking to redirect to themselves, instead always outside the box the game is running on. I've read it other places too. Sounds like there are way too many automated processes try to hack an IIS site.

I don't know my ass from deep left centerfield when its comes to this stuff. Apparently I've got it tuned to UHF, when it should be VHF.

If anybody out there redirects to a web server on the same maching that is running ut2004 dedicated server...........without any fears of getting hacked to death. Could you be so kind as to type the step by step instructions (real fast like, theres a step somewhere im missing) for how to setup an iis 6.0 webserver. Just enough to redirect utcomp & a coupla custom maps. My server is acting funny with athentication password stuff that i dunno. Only if i click on anonymous user, and put in my primary user name and password that serverbeach gave me(not admin), then i can right click the webserver i just made in iis, pick browse and see a dir listing, and dl utcomp and also put the ip:port in IE at the server and get it too. But i don't think i should be using such a "big" account for the anonymous user. I dont even know what type of server this is gonna make. available over the internet to everyone, or only users with names & pw's that i setup logging in to my server

I think ive broke it....now i can't even get unreal to send the un-compressed file really slow anymore!!!

oh well, least i got the box up and running with the game. This is just trying to get UTcomp & custom maps. Must not be popular thing to redirect to yourself.
Unread 5th September, 2005, 07:11 AM
Killing Spree

I may be able to help here.

I've found SEVERAL hosting applications recently, but there are a couple of programs that might just do what you are wanting them to do. Here we go:

First, get a free DNS software if you haven't already. It will turn your IP number into a .com subdomain. (like http://td.getce.com <--that's mine)

This will work for ANY software that I have found so far, including TeamSpeak. (just enter your port number at the end of it:

http://td.getce.com:5500

Here is the link to the FreeDNS site: http://freedns.afraid.org/

Now...this is GREAT for you if your IP addy changes (most of ours do!) because it also has an UPDATER that you install on your computer which tests the IP (at a user defined number of minutes) and automatically updates the IP address for YOUR DOMAIN. Mutiple domains CAN be hosted on the same account. (One of my other players has one that I set up on my account.)

Here's the link for the updater:
http://www.techknowpro.com/freedns/index.php

NOW then....

your server can be accessed by several different "IIS" type services...here's the most "user friendly" I've found so far (Abyss X1 should work GREAT for you, and it's FREE...'cause I'm all about FREE stuff ):

http://www.aprelium.com/downloads/

If you need help with this stuff, let me know on MSN or Xfire

Rockett

MSN: [email address] (this email account no longer works, but is still my MSN)

P.S.--If one of the td.getce links doesn't work, I run 3 computers off of it, all with different ports, and I do maintenance on them regularly. try another one of the links

Last edited by Rockett : 5th September, 2005 at 07:17 AM. Reason: forgot something
Unread 5th September, 2005, 04:16 PM
Killing Spree

Ok, this was able to help him. and I will help others out with this if I need to, simply add my MSN or Xfire, and I'll see if I can get you up and running.

Rockett
Unread 10th September, 2005, 01:08 AM
Rampage

rockett is a nice guy. helped me out over msn. turns out i was probably taking all the right steps in making a website with iss. but i could only see it on the server's internet browser. It wasn't going over the internet. Something deep in ISS i just couldn't get right. I think there's a funny way you have to "officially" start it.

Anyways, i downloaded Abyss server from the links above. It was WAY more user friendly than ISS. I had the redirect site up in just a few minutes once i went through the settings. I cut the directory browsing off and dropped a basic index.htm file in there so ppl can't see the that the files are there over the web, but ut does it's thing OK.

Last edited by HydroShok : 17th September, 2005 at 03:16 AM.