You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 22nd November, 2006, 01:00 AM
Forum Newcomer

Ok. I am going to try a few thing out and see if any of these help. It would be greatly appreciated if You all here could help out. Tomorrow night(11/22/2006) @8:00pm(This CST) I going to do all I can to rule out my end of things. I would like people from this forum to try and connect to my server Catanbri at that time. I will be running a CTF Game at that time. I will post my current IP shortly before hand just in case it changes between now and then.
Unread 23rd November, 2006, 12:31 AM
Forum Newcomer

ok so My IP is still the same as before. hopefully it does not change tonight. You all can connect at ut2004://68.98.249.26:7777. Or by looking for server Catanbri in the CTF list. Thanks in advance for the help.
Unread 23rd November, 2006, 11:03 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catanbri View Post
ok so My IP is still the same as before. hopefully it does not change tonight. You all can connect at ut2004://68.98.249.26:7777. Or by looking for server Catanbri in the CTF list. Thanks in advance for the help.
Works. And so does ping and traceroute. So which firewall did you forget to disable?
Unread 23rd November, 2006, 12:52 PM
Forum Newcomer

I really don't understand it. All I did was uncheck a box that said Block anonymous WAN requests. But that really shouldn't have mattered because I have tried it direct connect. I am just glad it is working now so me and my mates can start playing.

Last edited by Catanbri : 23rd November, 2006 at 01:17 PM.
Unread 25th November, 2006, 02:04 AM
Rampage

I know this will sound silly but most times its always the simplest thing people don't check because it is the simplest thing.
Check to see if your Windows Firewall is enabled on any of the network cards in your machine, the 1394 is a network card in a way too. Also turn off the firewalls on other machines if u have other on your lan. Firewalls on on other machines and block netbios commands and make everything on a network unreachable.
Sometimes throwing it down to your machine and the server machine only with no routers or simular on the net work can help to debug a problem.

EDIT:
Sorry just see your last post but ill leave what I put as it migh thelp someone else googling for a fix.
Unread 25th November, 2006, 05:23 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMc-IceMan View Post
Also turn off the firewalls on other machines if u have other on your lan. Firewalls on on other machines and block netbios commands and make everything on a network unreachable.
No, don't do that. There is absolutely nothing in the UT2k4 server that requires NETBIOS.

As a general rule you should not disable firewalls at all, you should open the correct ports and nothing else. If there is a specific service you need on another machine, open the ports for that specific service, don't disable firewalls willy-nilly.
Unread 26th November, 2006, 12:53 AM
Rampage

Well I've had the prob, netbios port was being blocked and the aplication was routed but when the netbios was blocked it stopped lots of other stuff working.

If its a issue then just disconnect from the net whilst you try what I said.
Then re run firewalls and reconnect to the net. Or even physically unplug the cable form the modem to your pc wether it be usb or nic.

Sorry I should have mentioned to disconnect form the internet but it sortas seemed obvious.

But if ya paraniod about being offline and still disabling your firewall then just route the ports for ut in windows firewall, ports 7777 and 7778 should be enough to test a connect form the outside word but its possible that your server wont advitise your server unless you route that port also. But just for testing its probs best to ask a friend to connect and give them your IP if you trust them.

Also when netbios is blocked for me the network just work work, I'd imagine I'd still be able to ping a ip on the network but nothing will show so not sure if this will stop the games routing through still but it has for me before.

I have a fw which has limited setting, I have another as back up but I put one on each machine aswell nowdays and even though I route the ports and allow stuff in and out it will sometimes just not allow anything in or out of my machine. I've also had when a winxp firewall was turned on it just made the network dead and after checking wires all over the place I've gone back over the last things I done on the network, turn off the firewall that was last enabled and network working again.
Would be nice to know why netbios blocked on 1 machine coudl do that to the whole network.
But where I noticed it most was at the weeklly lan party I had and some guy would bring his PC, be paraniod and keep his firewall on then no one could play any games. I think he was using Norton Security Center at the time.

But the guys right about turning off firewalls whilst still online, it could be risky but sorry for not mentioning that.