You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > General Chat

Unread 2nd June, 2004, 06:36 PM
Administrator/UTAN Admin

Exclamation What is UTAN?

Basically its a free public system to store your UT2003/UT2004 GUID and IP server bans in such a way that they can be rolled out to all servers under your control automatically.

Part of the UTAN system allows the trusted admin's (Head Admin's at various GISP's) to add bans into our system so that they will be distributed to all servers running our server actor. We understand how controversial this could be and have setup the system so that if you don't want these global bans, so to speak, you don't have to receive them!

The system allows you to store you own bans for use of either your server or your GISP only, which are protected by a password. So storing all your bans in our system is possible making it very quick and efficient at sending the bans out to your servers.

The Server Actor was initially created by El_Muerte, an admin at UnrealAdmin. Since then we have moved onto the new improved version of the Server Actor which provides Web Admin changes, understandable ban messages and live e-mail updates. It won't remove your server from the standard server lists on the master server either!

Lastly, the UTAN system is constantly being developed, so over time you will see more options available to you to use for your servers. Things like timed bans, so you can ban someone for 30minutes, 30hours, even 30days if needs be, anti-cheat news, and IP range banning are currently in the pipeline.

We hope you enjoy using the service and if you have any questions about the system please don't hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

Thank you

The Unreal Trusted Admin Network Administrators.
Unread 2nd June, 2004, 11:39 PM
Holy Shit!!

This sounds like quite a nice idea in that the whole system is centralized. I understand the controversy though. If one player gets banned when he shouldn't be, that's going to be a lot of servers he can't go to.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 3rd June, 2004, 08:43 AM
UTAN Admin

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless
This sounds like quite a nice idea in that the whole system is centralized. I understand the controversy though. If one player gets banned when he shouldn't be, that's going to be a lot of servers he can't go to.
We always provide evidence to support such a ban, either demo's, screenshots or log file (AntiTCC logs etc.) No global ban is ever entered without at least 1 of these.
Unread 3rd June, 2004, 06:06 PM
Rampage

Do administrators have the option to not include global bans?
Unread 3rd June, 2004, 06:52 PM
Administrator/UTAN Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidReflux
Do administrators have the option to not include global bans?
bReceiveUTANBans=True/False
Unread 3rd June, 2004, 09:04 PM
Rampage

I would have almost expected that to be a web site option not a setting on each server. Not sure why though. I can't give an argument why it would be one way over another.
Unread 4th June, 2004, 08:56 AM
UTAN Admin

Exclamation

Quote:
I would have almost expected that to be a web site option not a setting on each server. Not sure why though. I can't give an argument why it would be one way over another.
We debated this for some time. However, we came to the conclusion that it should be held on the game server. If it were tagged to your user name on UTAN, any server you used your user name on would automatically receive those settings. This does not allow you then to customise each of your server's settings which we believe may be a hinderance.

At sometime in the future this may change.
Unread 4th June, 2004, 09:23 PM
Rampage

Well, as it stands how do servers indicate that they want to share ban lists? IE, I have 4 servers that I want the ban lists to be sync'd. What specifies this in the server config? There must be some unique/group id registered with UTAN, right?
Unread 4th June, 2004, 09:37 PM
UTAN Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, as it stands how do servers indicate that they want to share ban lists? IE, I have 4 servers that I want the ban lists to be sync'd. What specifies this in the server config? There must be some unique/group id registered with UTAN, right?
You use your UTAN User Name and password to request the ban lists. You will then receive all the UTAN Bans, if you choose to, and your GISP/Clan bans, if you choose to.
Unread 4th June, 2004, 09:40 PM
Rampage

does the UTAN config go in your server.ini file or does it have a seperate ini file? Also, does it log anything to UserLogs?
Unread 4th June, 2004, 11:46 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruicky
We always provide evidence to support such a ban, either demo's, screenshots or log file (AntiTCC logs etc.) No global ban is ever entered without at least 1 of these.
I see. Well tbh I'm not that much a fan of total centralisation. That's why I was asking elsewhere if you could store any information on your web site and then have it transferred here if you wish.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 5th June, 2004, 03:52 AM
Administrator/UTAN Admin

Quote:
does the UTAN config go in your server.ini file or does it have a seperate ini file? Also, does it log anything to UserLogs?
It goes in whatever ini you use for your server. It logs when its connecting to our server, and how many bans it gets. It will also log to its own file in the Logs directory when someone was kicked.
Unread 5th June, 2004, 03:53 AM
Administrator/UTAN Admin

Quote:
I see. Well tbh I'm not that much a fan of total centralisation. That's why I was asking elsewhere if you could store any information on your web site and then have it transferred here if you wish.
It's an option we could do, but it would'nt be before UTAN v2.0
Unread 5th June, 2004, 04:22 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited
It goes in whatever ini you use for your server. It logs when its connecting to our server, and how many bans it gets. It will also log to its own file in the Logs directory when someone was kicked.
Make sure that the log file is unique to at the very least the server port. Otherwise, admins running multiple servers on the same box will not be able to run UTAN on more than one server instance.
Unread 5th June, 2004, 10:44 AM
UTAN Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
There is no seperate log file generated as this started to cause problems on some OS's, and the settings for UTAN are included in the ini file for your server.

Server Actor Coder For

Creator Of SafeGame
Cruicky's Lab

Last edited by Cruicky : 5th June, 2004 at 11:27 AM.
Unread 5th June, 2004, 01:01 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited
It's an option we could do, but it would'nt be before UTAN v2.0
Thanks for taking this idea into consideration and don't let distract you from rolling out this very first version . I don't know how your system works (how much is uscript and how much is outside code) and this would certainly make it more complex. But there would be a few benefits :

- Outside web sites using a sub set of the UTAN system could function independantly and do so even if the main site goes down for some reason.
- Large ban lists could be processed locally and then transferred to the global system in just one click.
- In case of system failure (sh*t happens), admins could have the possibility of making a backup of their own UTAN databases. This would make the whole system more fail-safe.
- Overall, processing requests from the pov of the main UTAN database would be reduced to a necessary minimum.

Unread 5th June, 2004, 01:14 PM
UTAN Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
- In case of system failure (sh*t happens), admins could have the possibility of making a backup of their own UTAN databases. This would make the whole system more fail-safe.
The server attempts to contact to UTAN on every level change. If it cannot connect for whatever reason, the previously downloaded list is used. Only when a connection is successful, and the data received has passed integrity checks, then the CD-Key database is rebuilt.

Server Actor Coder For

Creator Of SafeGame
Cruicky's Lab
Unread 5th June, 2004, 04:44 PM
Administrator

We've been running our own box with several servers on it since 2003, some of those servers are public, in a few months we will start one or two public ut2k4 servers, could I become a trusted admin too as we're not a customer of a GISP
Unread 5th June, 2004, 04:48 PM
UTAN Admin

Thumbs up

The system is open to any UT2004 admin.

Server Actor Coder For

Creator Of SafeGame
Cruicky's Lab
Unread 5th June, 2004, 05:03 PM
Rampage

Quote:
Make sure that the log file is unique to at the very least the server port. Otherwise, admins running multiple servers on the same box will not be able to run UTAN on more than one server instance.
So this means there is a single log file? If so, GISP's are not going to be able to use this system (note: I'm not a representative of any GISP). Many mutators are able to handle multiple log files just fine. I would ask around.