You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 9th January, 2005, 01:42 AM
Forum Newcomer

Default FYI router specific server problems

I have been managing an Unreal Tournament 2k4 dedicated for about a year now and I wanted to give a heads up to those people behind firewalls. Originally, I had a DI-604 router with the original hardware or H/w: A2 and not E2, this router worked perfect for my server; not only did I host a UT server, but FTP, HTTP, ventrilo, and realvnc. Then I decided to upgrade to a nice wireless router a netgear WGT624 v2 that had 108mpbs connection speed for my laptops. Well I configured everything on the router identically to that of the D-link and seemingly everything worked fine, that is everything except the UT server. So I did some digging into the situation and here's what I have come up with as the problem for some people:
Problem: can connect to server over lan and can see server in internet browse in UT but the ping shows N/A

Real Problem/Solution: for many people, the fix is just saying in the ut2004.ini file to set the behindNAT to true. However, for others like myself, doing this does nothing (if you are behind a firewall it should always be set to true though). After reading lots of articles about the router, here's the problem I had: there is a certain signal sent from the client to the server ahead of time to do some random checking (NOT a ping, but a different signal like a ping) and it uses a port I don't know of. THe D-Link always allowed this traffic, but the Netgear does not! Therefore, when the client sent the signal, the server never responded because the router absorbed the signal. Naturally, my solution was to set the server on a DMZ and see if it would work then, that didn't work and neither did anything else I tried, so I am back using the d-link. Unless someone knows of a fix for this situation with the router, I cannot see how this router and probably many new ones out there will allow for UT server communication.

My settings on either router were the usual: IP: 7777,7778,7787,28902

if anyone does konw of the fix for the router, like another port, please let me know
Unread 9th January, 2005, 11:32 AM
Holy Shit!!

Can people connect from outside your router?
Unread 9th January, 2005, 07:38 PM
Forum Newcomer

Yes, I have had others try to connect over the netgear, but it simply has the indefinite connecting screen. Though I will say that I should be able to connect going out to the wan and then back in to my own server as well as just over the lan. I can do this with all other services, so UT should be no exception.
Unread 9th January, 2005, 08:31 PM
Holy Shit!!

I have a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G, and it works like a dream. Easier to set up the port forwarding as well.

As for behindNAT=true, I think that has been broken (does nothing) since the release of UT2004 if memory serves. I could be wrong there.

Try these & see what happens. This works for me.

7777-7778
7787-7788
80-81
28900-28902

Set them to both TDC & UDP and see what happens.
Unread 9th January, 2005, 10:12 PM
Forum Newcomer

To be honest, I have tried the full range of ports set on both udp/tcp. I have tried a passthrough of 7700-7800, 27900-27900,28900-28902; 80 is for web access, and I don't have the web admin enabled--I had hackers for a time about 2 months ago.
Thanks for the considerations though!
Unread 10th January, 2005, 07:11 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathemon
Yes, I have had others try to connect over the netgear, but it simply has the indefinite connecting screen. Though I will say that I should be able to connect going out to the wan and then back in to my own server as well as just over the lan. I can do this with all other services, so UT should be no exception.
Ok, do the following:

Look up your server in the in-game browser. Add it to favourites. Check the added entry to see which port the masterlist said it uses. If it isn't the same port that you specified in your ini, have someone outside your router connect to your IP with the port you have in your ini (i.e. open your.ip.here:port) and see if they get through. If they do, you've been bitten by the NAT bug. For more info, http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hreadid=234947

Last edited by Naked_Ape : 10th January, 2005 at 07:14 AM.
Unread 12th January, 2005, 08:47 PM
Forum Newcomer

I tried the favorites last night and found that no server info is there; I tried with the d-link and it was. There has to be something with the router. Like I said before all the port info is the same on both, so I don't konw; thx for the help though, I didn't think to try that.
If anyone has anymore suggestions, please let me know!