You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 > UT2003/4 Server - Windows Specific

Unread 18th September, 2003, 01:21 AM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbond
and to clearify just in case i didnt get a router yet the techie showed me how to config my modem for port forwarding i just need to know what prts to farward my friend uses 7777-7788 and when my frien tried to connect the ping is still n/a and they sit at the black ip address screen thing
If we knew which Firewall you were going to buy, these settings could be more specific. However, I'll "genericise" them for the sake of discussion.

UT Port usage:
[list:84eecc91b8]Game: 7777~7787 - This is probably overkill. The only ones that are always required are the first two, 7777 and 7778. The rest will be dynamically assigned as players connect. I myself set aside at least one for each potential player, just to make certain that nothing is leaft to chance. Incidently, I use port 7777 in my example, and the game defaults to this port number, but in most cases you may assign it by editing your server's ini file.[/list:u:84eecc91b8][list:84eecc91b8]Admin: 80 - Again, this is assignable in your server's ini file, and you only need to think about it if you plan to be able to access the admin from the web. There are 2 settings to make in the ini file too, the port number assignment and the server's public IP address.[/list:u:84eecc91b8]
Other issues:

You also need to think about how your server's LAN IP address is being assigned.
[list:84eecc91b8]If you're allowing it to get it's address dynamically, (via DHCP like most routers do for you) then you'll have to remember to power up the pc's on the LAN in the same sequense every time the router is powered on. Otherwise the server won't be assigned the same address each time and you'd have to change the Firewall's port forwarding settings each time.

The easiest way to handle this is to assign the server's IP address statically. You will also need to assign the Router's IP address as the "default gateway" and assign a DNS server address as well. The DNS server assignment can be a problem, depending on how your ISP handles DNS. In most cases, just put the Router's IP address here too.

If you do decide to assign the server's IP, you can still continue to use DHCP for other pc's. Just make certain to assign static address values that are not in conflict with those that DHCP will assign.[/list:u:84eecc91b8]

All that having been said, I suspect that Naked_Ape may be right when he says:
Quote:
This suggests that there is some sort of firewall/router functionality in you modem and that probably includes NAT.
[list:84eecc91b8]Please do as he suggests and get us a link to the user manual for your "Modem" as the techie called it.

Incidently.... Do this BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING... because if your Modem has an internal Router or Firewall, you may not need another. So GET US THE MANUAL.[/list:u:84eecc91b8]
Unread 18th September, 2003, 02:31 AM
Killing Spree

hey i just wanted to clearify some stuff remember i'm a mjaor newb so this might not help but i have no router so i can config my router to a default gateway its only a direct connection and what i do is enter this ip adress in my web broswer which brings up my modem configs and it it i click set up and the options are ppp,host,dhcp,admin user,time client,nat/napt(if i click the not i get a screen that says wan interface PPPoA(0) 0/35 and i got an option that says nat/napt disabled and there a bubble that i can clcik that says yes then i have a nat only enabled and i need to enter an ip to click that option and then it had a nat only enabled and the bubble is checked and it means yes and then one more bubble that has no check in it but it says nat and napt enabled (concurrent) ) then in the set up optins i have also got protforwarding,firewall,upnp,and server ports hope this info helps if u have any questions about it please ask
Unread 18th September, 2003, 07:39 AM
Killing Spree

hey i just called into my isp tech support and he gave me also alot of info he told me with the ut2003 it only detects a certain ip addres thats on the server which is 192.168. and so on after that. well i learned from looking at their faq's when you look up your ip by ipconfig in the command prompt if its 192.168.xx and so on then you are behind NAT but i dont know if he really knew what he was talkign about when he told me this but i know how to get my extewrnal ip's now and the 192 is my internal is there anyway i can get my external ips and make my server run off of them because when i look in the LAN tab the ip adress it gives me is the 192.168 one and people cant connect through it i was told so any info would be a big help thanx
Unread 19th September, 2003, 01:03 AM
Holy Shit!!

jamesbond, I don't know if it's just me, but I have trouble following your writing...

Are you trying to say that you have a web-based interface in your modem that contains all the above tabs (DHCP, NAT etc)?

If so, you're modem is a combined modem/router and you don't need a separate router. As for your description of what you click, I can't decipher that... How about you tell us what make/model your modem is?

Your ISPs techie is correct. If you have an address that starts with 192.168 you are behind NAT and what you need to do isn't "to make your server run on your external address" but rather forward certain ports (which you were given earlier) from your router WAN interface to your UT2k3 server internal address. I also recommend that you put your UT2k3 server on a static IP instead of DHCP.
Unread 19th September, 2003, 01:14 AM
Killing Spree

what you need to do isn't "to make your server run on your external address" but rather forward certain ports (which you were given earlier) from your router WAN interface to your UT2k3 server internal address. I also recommend that you put your UT2k3 server on a static IP instead of DHCP.

well yes when i click setting fo rmy modem it had all thoose tabs in it and how do i get the utk3 server to run on the WAN for my router to run on the internal ut2k3 server DO i need to call int o see if i cant get a static ip and also will it cost money? and my modem is a speedstream 5200 serie
Unread 19th September, 2003, 02:04 AM
Holy Shit!!

You don't need to get a static IP for your modem/router but you need to tell the computer that the UT2k3 server runs on to use a static address intead of obtaining its address via DHCP (read 50BMGs post again). A static IP for your modem might make things easier (esp. for your friends to find your server) but it isn't strictly necessary. Whether a static IP will cost you money, I don't know. But I'm guessing, yes it will (if possible at all).

As much as I'd like to help you, I think you need some basic network "hand-holding". I don't feel that I have the time for this at the moment.
I suggest that you talk to the support techies at your ISP as they are likely to be familiar with your modem/router.

If you can't explain what you need, point them to this thread. That should be enough to get them going...