You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Unreal Admins > Unreal Tournament > UT Server - Linux Specific

Unread 11th October, 2012, 11:38 PM
Dominating

Default UT_Magic_Redirect (multiple redirect merger) for node.js

I didn't really test this yet. Hope it works ok.

https://github.com/joeytwiddle/ut_magic_redirect

A UT redirect server which can serve files sourced from multiple remote redirects.

It's a sort of proxying merging web-server. You give it a list of redirect URLs, and when a file is requested, it tries each redirect until it finds the file. Then it pipes it to any clients that are asking for it.

The current version requires no disk space, as it does not have a disk cache, but obviously it should be placed on a machine with fast network.

(It's a little unsociable at the moment, hitting 404s on the early redirects in the list. However with some improvements, it could actually act as a load-balancer across the redirects.)
Unread 12th October, 2012, 01:37 PM
Godlike

I've seen several attempts at this. I'll watch this one as well and hope for the best as always. if I recall we always get real close to a solution and then at the very end it all falls in on itself.

Hermskii

Last edited by Hermskii : 13th October, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Unread 13th October, 2012, 04:44 AM
Forum Newcomer

All it takes is 1 new brain to hit the magic button.
A working prototype is as good a start as we could hope for, so fingers crossed.

I wish you all the luck and fluke in the world (I'll try an' catch a lucky Cornish Pisky, an' pop 'en in tha post. Ansome).
Unread 13th October, 2012, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Aside from the load balancing part, there is already a multi redirect script that runs on the web server. It's programmed in php..

Read the thread/topic here. It's been done.
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...light=redirect

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 13th October, 2012, 10:34 AM
Holy Shit!!

Skillz. Which webserver are you using?

Unread 13th October, 2012, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Apache/2.2.23

UT-FILES.COM
Get your files
Unread 14th October, 2012, 10:29 PM
Holy Shit!!

nvm, I just re-read your post. I thought you meant you required load balancing hence the question.

My bad!

PD, why not switch to NGINX or LIGHTTPD?

Unread 14th October, 2012, 11:50 PM
Holy Shit!!

nogginBasher, why node.js and how about caching through ajax+php ? Also your hotmail seems dead.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 20th October, 2012, 11:15 AM
Dominating

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
nogginBasher, why node.js and how about caching through ajax+php ? Also your hotmail seems dead.
I have added an option to enable a local disk-cache, although there is no code yet to clean up the files. (You can just delete them and restart the server.)

Node because ... I wanted to write in Coffeescript that day! I have never done any PHP but the PHP solution Skillz posted takes pretty much the same approach, so admins can just use whichever they prefer. (It also has the advantage that it can be added on an existing web-server, and serve local and FTP files too.)

Not sure what you mean with Ajax ... that usually requires Javascript running on the client.

Unfortunately I fear issues with Version Mismatch cannot be solved by a redirect, since it has no way of knowing which version the client wants.

Hotmail yuck ... thanks I re-registered the same account name (then got an error trying to read my inbox in Firefox). Very kind of Hotmail to open that username to the public again!
Unread 28th October, 2012, 12:41 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Not sure what you mean with Ajax ... that usually requires Javascript running on the client.
True. Web support on a server is very basic. So ajax calls are no go and I now get a gist of what node is about.

Quote:
Unfortunately I fear issues with Version Mismatch cannot be solved by a redirect, since it has no way of knowing which version the client wants.
There is no information passed about the required version ? So the client just picks UZs by name ? Would there be some way to tell the client to rename or "zap" a file ?

Quote:
Hotmail yuck ... thanks I re-registered the same account name (then got an error trying to read my inbox in Firefox). Very kind of Hotmail to open that username to the public again!
Just mentioned it as the address was indicated either on your profile or in readme.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 29th October, 2012, 03:15 AM
Dominating

Quote:
There is no information passed about the required version ?
Afraid not:

Code:
GET /BT-ConcreteFactoryCB.unr.uz HTTP/1.1
Host: 7.3.167.22
User-Agent: Unreal
Connection: close
Since the UT server only gives the client a filename, it must be the admin's responsibility to ensure that file is available on the redirect!

I am guessing the Unreal client doesn't handle 303 redirects either, or someone would have written a much simpler redirect years ago. (I haven't actually checked that though.)

If I understand correctly, UT can handle multiple files of the same name just fine in its Cache. The Version Mismatch problem only arises when players use a cache cleaner to rename their cache files, and put them in their UT folders.

I say we blame the users.

Quote:
So the client just picks UZs by name ? Would there be some way to tell the client to rename or "zap" a file ?
I fear there is no solution to this, without an update/install on the client. Even if you made a clever ServerPackage that could delete or rename files on the client, it's not going to run because the client can't get into the server!

As an admin, when I find a version mismatch, I decide which version is the "official" (most popular) one, and rename the other file (which may require refactoring or discarding its dependent maps). Whilst it might be hard for authors to know about a name clash when choosing their package name, it's something admins can try to mitigate later.

I like that other redirect script by the way. Nice approach with the three source types.