You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTDC > General Chat

Unread 1st March, 2008, 10:48 PM
Holy Shit!!

Default Mystery, magic and figuring out if a log is something to be worried about

Strange title for a topic ? Thought so myself.

Anyway here's a question. If there's only one person on this planet that can figure out whether a log is a true positive for certain what happens when that same person gets run over by a bus ?

I'm not wishing anyone ill here but let's be realistic. All this hush hush attitude around anticheating is getting ridiculous if the best anticheat tool out there also turns out to be the most unreliable for lack of information.

Now before Troublesome takes this as personal critisism and pushes that red button to send the nuclear missiles over, let's put things into perspective. How many UT servers out there ? Thousands ? How many of those use UTDC ? Hundreds ? That's potentially less than a hundred admins that depend on just one person - who is known to be very unavailable (like most popular mod authors who get bombarded with questions) - saying yes or no.

Does this seem reasonable even to someone who doesn't play UT ? Thought not, and that's slight sad because if something really bad does happen or a certain someone gets pissed off and just disappears into thin air a lot of people are going to find themselves going up the stream without a paddle.

So is there a solution ?

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.

Last edited by Azura : 1st March, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Unread 2nd March, 2008, 11:25 AM
Unstoppable

this could help
http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=23247
Unread 2nd March, 2008, 03:11 PM
Godlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
Strange title for a topic ? Thought so myself.

Anyway here's a question. If there's only one person on this planet that can figure out whether a log is a true positive for certain what happens when that same person gets run over by a bus ?

I'm not wishing anyone ill here but let's be realistic. All this hush hush attitude around anticheating is getting ridiculous if the best anticheat tool out there also turns out to be the most unreliable for lack of information.

Now before Troublesome takes this as personal critisism and pushes that red button to send the nuclear missiles over, let's put things into perspective. How many UT servers out there ? Thousands ? How many of those use UTDC ? Hundreds ? That's potentially less than a hundred admins that depend on just one person - who is known to be very unavailable (like most popular mod authors who get bombarded with questions) - saying yes or no.

Does this seem reasonable even to someone who doesn't play UT ? Thought not, and that's slight sad because if something really bad does happen or a certain someone gets pissed off and just disappears into thin air a lot of people are going to find themselves going up the stream without a paddle.

So is there a solution ?
Follow this procedure:
print out the log and spray it with old spice. Take a bowl and fill it with water. finally put the log in the water - if it floats it's obvious magic and you should ban the fucker asap.
Unread 2nd March, 2008, 04:53 PM
Dominating

Talking

I tried that, did not work...

Unread 2nd March, 2008, 04:59 PM
Holy Shit!!

Oh well at least I tried. Good thing that a certain someone still has a sense of humour ^^.

@Neabit: Thanks for the clue.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 17th March, 2008, 03:38 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troublesome View Post
Follow this procedure:
print out the log and spray it with old spice. Take a bowl and fill it with water. finally put the log in the water - if it floats it's obvious magic and you should ban the fucker asap.
Old Spice is in a spray form now?
Unread 17th March, 2008, 11:47 PM
Unstoppable

^ LOL, Yup .. Little old on the reply, hehe

Anyways Trouble why dont you release the code to someone that want to further develop UTDC, but not to public.

Unread 18th March, 2008, 12:29 AM
Godlike

who would that be?
Unread 18th March, 2008, 03:12 AM
Unstoppable

IDK, just anyone that wants to and knows how to code. I bet there is someone out there.

Maybe Azura

Unread 4th June, 2011, 12:12 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SwS]Next View Post
Maybe Azura
No. I had too much on my plate then and I have too much on my plate now. Besides, as I said there's a closed circle in anticheat of people who really know what they're doing. Without some good information a programmer would spend a lot of time figuring out how something is put together.

Unread 4th June, 2011, 10:07 PM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azura View Post
something
Considering the age of the post you replied to - is your reply more of an attempt to revive that old discussion, than it is an answer to the post?

From what I can see, total security in UT would also mean unplayable latency. For that reason, some secrecy is needed to assure playability. The more hacks, the more checks, the more anal probing you will need. And if you are lucky, the game has been abandoned before the probe reaches the small intestine.
Unread 4th June, 2011, 11:51 PM
Banned

What we need is a trusted player network. Central registration gives a key assigned to the player. That key is checked against a master list and if you are banned then you don't play. It would make ACE catches really matter.