You are an unregistered user, you can register here
Navigation

Information

Site

Donations
If you wish to make a donation you can by clicking the image below.

Go Back   The Unreal Admins Page > Forums > Hosted Forums > UTAN > Bans > Appeals > Archive

Unread 27th November, 2004, 04:24 AM
Holy Shit!!

Default Ban #3025

1) Ban ID Number, this was shown to you when you were banned from the server : #3025
2) The nickname you were using at the time : -={SDA}=-Baiter
3) Your GUID (CD-Key Hash) :b7e18e604cffd98b1f614db3*********
4) Your current IP address : 67.10.14.131
5) A valid e-mail we can contact you on : [email address]

6)An explaination for why the ban should be removed :

Well, I own and admin 8 servers for UT99 and UT04.

I dont cheat. Never have. Me and my clanmate were on the Sargon's RPG Invasion Server. All I did was enter the server, and while waiting for the next wave, I was all of a sudden banned. I didnt type, I didnt do anything.

I was talking to my clanmate on Skype and all of sudden I'm banned.

Very few servers I play on and I dont appreciate being banned for no reason.

And if you do have a reason, I would like proof and evidence.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 02:27 AM
out of order

Quote:
Game: Unreal Tournament 2004
Ban ID: 3025
Date: 27/11/2004 01:57
Admin: Sargon

Offender: -={SDA}=-Baiter
GUID: b7e18e604cffd98b1f614db3a218e95c
IP Address: 67.10.14.131
Reason: Aimbot
Other Reason: N/A

Region: USA West

Evidence Type: Log File
Evidence Location: UTAN_3_260_1101520645.zip

Other Information: [11:54:51]- [INSECURE CLIENT] -={SDA}=-Baiter [ b7e18e604cffd98b1f614db3a218e95c ] IP: 67.10.14.131 Security ID: 3 using v3339 [11:54:51]- Found disallowed file: C:\Windows\Prefetch\Helios-* (HELIOS-HOOK.EXE-3B4AD77C.pf)
Non-global. You are banned from all of Sargon's servers.
The HelioS Hook is a UT99 cheat and I honestly doubt there are any good reasons to have (or have had) cheats installed on your system other than for cheating.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 03:44 AM
Dominating

Ouch, tough call on this one even thou it's a cheat for the original, but in any case, you shouldn't have any at all.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 04:45 AM
Dominating

its a prefetch-file
and if he used it to test the security of his own servers
its legit imo
its up to the admin if he wants to test his own servers or not
u cant tell him not to do
we did a lot of testings on our pointless mayhem servers too
since Puntloos was activel in helping the ppl from antishock-ho
and stfu and i remember we also tried some currently
availbe bots to be sure if it works or no -so
having that file in prefetch folder doesnt actually mean its a cheater
if he can explain for what he used it and give a proof that hes a serveradmin...
and in this case i know him and i know he is a serveradmin
having that file as player is a different story imo

nix

World Gamers Forums
"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles
and I don't know why they were fired into Kuwait. "
Unread 27th November, 2004, 05:34 AM
Holy Shit!!

Hmmm, hence the reason why people come on these forums to say, "I was just testing". The fact that server admins can do this makes hacks a grey area when it shouldn't be. I think the responsability of a server admin is to also stay informed and there are numerous threads here that explain that the prefetch folder is scanned. In short, I don't think it's in anyone's interest to say they were testing as it lends some legitimity to whole thing. Don't get caught, it's as simple as that.

Here's a suggestion I made a while ago to avoid people having hacks on their systems :

http://www.unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8188

Little story : I ended being pretty annoyed with a player that said they were "just testing" and didn't believe me when I said the hack they had (latest public hook) wouldn't work on our server. He tried to get on, couldn't and then started panicking when he couldn't get on a few public servers. The idiot even tried to get on Truff's. As it turned out, something was wrong with his cache and things fixed themselves. However, he had no problem jumping around on our server with the hook permanently on when I deactivated the protection.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 06:27 AM
Dominating

yeah true maybe thats why puntloos always talked us into testing them instead of testing them on his own machine

no seriously ut99 is kinda different when u run public 32-player-sniperservers
since there always is a rush on that since the cheats seem to be
made for instant-hit weapons kinda and the anticheatsituation
isnt the best imo every anticheat u put on server is able to screw up
ur whole system so there is a legit interest to know if its worth it or no
the fact that players also try to tell that they were only testing
is a different story as i said
maybe baiter wasnt up to date with the infos which directory to clean afterwards or he didnt expected a ut99 bot detected by ut2k4 anticheat
who knows
its up to the admin of the server wether unban him or not
as for me i can say i always treated bans for cheating permanent
with no exeption but some cases show that even simple rules can fail
and going by that rules even if knowing its a failure might not be the right way but thats just my opinion and at least i wouldnt say that if i had any doubt in him beeing "clean"

World Gamers Forums
"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles
Unread 27th November, 2004, 09:36 AM
Holy Shit!!

Ahhh, So Basically..... If I am a KNOWN Server Admin not for 1, not 2, not 3, but 8 Sniper Servers, I get banned for making sure my servers are secure

Wow....what a load.

Now, I could understand if I was just some average Joe, but I am an active admin here on this site.

Ohh and another thing...

Why in the world would someone get banned for a UT99 Hack on a UT04 Server?

Well....I am not going to stop test hacks on my servers just because some UT04 saw it on my system.....sorry....that's just what good admins do.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 09:54 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiter
Ahhh, So Basically..... If I am a KNOWN Server Admin not for 1, not 2, not 3, but 8 Sniper Servers, I get banned for making sure my servers are secure

Wow....what a load.

Now, I could understand if I was just some average Joe, but I am an active admin here on this site.

Ohh and another thing...

Well....I am not going to stop test hacks on my servers just because some UT04 saw it on my system.....sorry....that's just what good admins do.
Not for nothing, but if your an "active admin here", then you should know about testing hacks on your own servers and what you should do to protect yourself from being banned. It's been discussed multiple times by multiple people.

Have you spoken to Sargon? He is a very easy person to deal with. Since he is the only person who could lift the ban you are going to have to deal with him eventualy to get it lifted.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 10:08 AM
Administrator/UTAN Admin

Quote:
Yes, goes for anyone, if someone caught me on a public server with a cheat running/prefetch I would expect to get banned for it. There are no exeptions, if you run cheats to "make sure my servers are secure" then your just asking for trouble, there is no reason AT ALL to have them installed.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 10:17 AM
Holy Shit!!

For what its worth, Baiter is a well known admin in the sniper community. He is not a cheater. I do not test the security on my own servers, but understand that some admins want to do that.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 10:19 AM
Godlike

I guess other admins (to which you refer to above) know where Anticheats look for and how, and would know how to remove cheats on their system after testing - which is why it doesn't happen often, and why it is a hard excuse to accept.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 10:31 AM
Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited
Yes, goes for anyone, if someone caught me on a public server with a cheat running/prefetch I would expect to get banned for it. There are no exeptions, if you run cheats to "make sure my servers are secure" then your just asking for trouble, there is no reason AT ALL to have them installed.
How u test to see if your servers protected, wait until a cheat comes in then hope you've installed you files correctly and they work

I'd just like to say that i helped baiter set up his 7 servers and it was a long night, we had been testing hard and making sure things where good for the players.

After i think about 6-7 hours baiter decide to grab some games while i finished off, all i can say is tiredness leads to mistakes.

I can honestly say i have SPANKED baiter many a time and he never uses any cheats except for testing security on his OWN servers.

we dont like to hope that we installed them correctly, and testing is the best way....

But each to there own i surpose, baiter aint a cheat..... was all a mistake but what will happen will happen....
Unread 27th November, 2004, 10:46 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited
there is a reason to have cheats installed if you test your own servers :? I wouldve thought that was obvious. Did any of you test UTAN? and did you do it by not installing cheats?

UTAN is too indiscriminate, it doesnt take into consideration that some ppl do need to install them from time to time. Hell I bet almost every admin here has made sure their server was secure by installing some cheat.

The only reason I havent been caught like this is because digz was - and I learned by his mistake.
It might be common knowledge to 2k4 admins that utan scans the prefetch folder but its not to ut99 admins, in fact Ive never seen it mentioned except when digz got banned for the same thing.

Some ppl might remember when Suckage posted a list of players that had been using the hook on NBSP - and it turned ou a lot of them were admins.

The fact that Baiter runs a lot of servers and the cheat 'that he had used before' was for UT99 should really speak for itself here.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 11:06 AM
Rampage

Default Ban

Baiter:
Since you are also a server admin, I'll take you at your word that you were not cheating and left the ban from my servers, I only run three under my name, even though I provide support for ten others, not like it would be the end of the world.

Ok, ban lifted from the Sargon Servers.

From reading these messages though it sure shows folks still don't understand that utan does not check for cheats, us admins just use it to keep cheaters or folks who annoy other players out of our systems, not out of all the servers who use utan.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 11:20 AM
Holy Shit!!

Quote:
Thumbs up for your love of the game and the maintainance of your servers. Iron Maiden probably does just the same on his servers and it shows that you care. However, having read the previous bans in this forum, it seems that the approach here is pretty hardline :/ .

Quote:
You'd have to ask Wormbo that. I think he said somewhere on this forum that there was no way of making a distinction between a hack that works on UT and one that works on UT2004. Or something of that order. I can't remember the details.

And that's probably why UTIII was a relative flop. New game, same sh*thead players ^^.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 11:28 AM
Holy Shit!!

Thanks Sargon....I remove the helios hook from the prefetch folder...hopefully I can play tonight when I get off work

Thanks again everyone and especailly the UT99 Sniper Admins....you guys rock
Unread 27th November, 2004, 11:56 AM
Rampage

Quote:
Thanks Sargon....I remove the helios hook from the prefetch folder...hopefully I can play tonight when I get off work

Thanks again everyone and especailly the UT99 Sniper Admins....you guys rock
You're welcome.
Unread 27th November, 2004, 12:17 PM
Rampage

hi all im [JEPPA]SPAWN UT99 Admin and know baiter well, and have to say he is a good admin and clean player, i for 1 dont play ut04 much but dint know about utan's detection methods so if it weren't for baiter's misfortune it could have been me here 1 day as i also tested cheats for [JEPPA]'S server's but never in my life actually cheated, lets hope more good comes from this post in awareness of utans methods to all admins out there!
Unread 27th November, 2004, 01:42 PM
Killing Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningSquirrel
Not for nothing, but if your an "active admin here", then you should know about testing hacks on your own servers and what you should do to protect yourself from being banned. It's been discussed multiple times by multiple people.
The problem is that only few ppl (admins included) know about the prefetch foder.
glad that this story have had a nice end
ut99 TDM - 62.101.75.78:7777
ut99 DM - 62.101.75.78:30000
ut2k4 ONS - 62.101.75.78:6777
www.bigut.too.it
Unread 27th November, 2004, 02:07 PM
Dominating

Quote:
glad that this story have had a nice end
agreed

World Gamers Forums